Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"No pressure to sell 11:15 - Dec 6 with 1169 viewschicoazul

....but money talks"

Oh, no.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

"No pressure to sell on 11:17 - Dec 6 with 1164 viewsagravenor

It's true, if someone offers £10mil for one of them, ME won't turn that down. Money does talk
"No pressure to sell on 11:17 - Dec 6 with 1155 viewsHerbivore

Nothing new here. We've always sold players if offered good money.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

"No pressure to sell on 11:18 - Dec 6 with 1157 viewschicoazul

"No pressure to sell on 11:17 - Dec 6 by agravenor

It's true, if someone offers £10mil for one of them, ME won't turn that down. Money does talk

Not sure I agree, he has turned down big offers in the past, and it was always the Manager's choice not the Owner. And he can afford to run us without needing fees.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

"No pressure to sell on 11:29 - Dec 6 with 1104 viewsagravenor

"No pressure to sell on 11:18 - Dec 6 by chicoazul

Not sure I agree, he has turned down big offers in the past, and it was always the Manager's choice not the Owner. And he can afford to run us without needing fees.

Yeah of course, because the right offer wasn't made. If a high enough offer is made, he will sell.
"No pressure to sell on 11:51 - Dec 6 with 1059 viewsitfcjoe

It's what we all know, but hoping he has learned his lesson from the Webster transfer - need to sell from positions of strength to get big fees.

Mick would never have sanctioned that Webster deal, and I'm sure Lambert is the same

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

"No pressure to sell on 12:14 - Dec 6 with 1011 viewsTheDailyTractor

My issue is no matter who we sell we always take far less than what the player is worth.

Look over recent years and see the fees we have recieved. In my opinion we were absolutely mugged off by Derby for Waghorn. With how the football market is these days we let a player go who was involved in the most goals that season (scored and assists) for 5m.

The lot up the road recieved near enough 50m for Madison and the Murphy brothers. It is sickening how clubs think they can come in with low offers. I wouldn't accept 15m for Downes whether we are in this league or the Championship because with his potential he is worth the same as Maddison period. We need to start playing Hardball when it comes to fees. Credit to Evan's for blocking moves in the past but he must now see what players are going for these days and has every right to demand the same.

Credit to the management/club for work with the academy because we have some absolute gems coming through.
"No pressure to sell on 12:18 - Dec 6 with 994 viewsHerbivore

"No pressure to sell on 12:14 - Dec 6 by TheDailyTractor

My issue is no matter who we sell we always take far less than what the player is worth.

Look over recent years and see the fees we have recieved. In my opinion we were absolutely mugged off by Derby for Waghorn. With how the football market is these days we let a player go who was involved in the most goals that season (scored and assists) for 5m.

The lot up the road recieved near enough 50m for Madison and the Murphy brothers. It is sickening how clubs think they can come in with low offers. I wouldn't accept 15m for Downes whether we are in this league or the Championship because with his potential he is worth the same as Maddison period. We need to start playing Hardball when it comes to fees. Credit to Evan's for blocking moves in the past but he must now see what players are going for these days and has every right to demand the same.

Credit to the management/club for work with the academy because we have some absolute gems coming through.

I think we've generally sold fairly well. In hindsight Webster went a bit more cheaply than he should have in terms of the up front fee, but we got a decent add on for him when they sold him to Brighton. At the point we sold him he'd missed about half a season in each of his seasons with us and was pretty much all potential.

Mings we got a very good price for. Wickham too. Cresswell as well, once we got all the top ups. Waghorn was about right too given his age and history, the issue was more how late in the day that deal was done and the limited time to replace him.

If you think Downes is worth as much as Maddison I think you might be a bit deluded. Maddison, much as I dislike him, tore up the Championship the season prior to moving to Leicester with lots of goals and assists. Downes is looking good in League 1.

"No pressure to sell on 12:24 - Dec 6 with 973 viewsSuperblue95

"No pressure to sell on 12:18 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

I think we've generally sold fairly well. In hindsight Webster went a bit more cheaply than he should have in terms of the up front fee, but we got a decent add on for him when they sold him to Brighton. At the point we sold him he'd missed about half a season in each of his seasons with us and was pretty much all potential.

Mings we got a very good price for. Wickham too. Cresswell as well, once we got all the top ups. Waghorn was about right too given his age and history, the issue was more how late in the day that deal was done and the limited time to replace him.

If you think Downes is worth as much as Maddison I think you might be a bit deluded. Maddison, much as I dislike him, tore up the Championship the season prior to moving to Leicester with lots of goals and assists. Downes is looking good in League 1.

Agree with most of that, although we probably could have got a bit more for Cresswell.

Our issue has generally been that we reinvest poorly, or not at all .

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Login to get fewer ads

"No pressure to sell on 12:27 - Dec 6 with 962 viewsHerbivore

"No pressure to sell on 12:24 - Dec 6 by Superblue95

Agree with most of that, although we probably could have got a bit more for Cresswell.

Our issue has generally been that we reinvest poorly, or not at all .

No arguments on it not being reinvested. I think we eneded up getting over £6m for Cresswell with add ons which was decent given when we sold him.

"No pressure to sell on 12:57 - Dec 6 with 918 viewslazyblue

That’s what you get for being a L1 side , we can’t actually afford to hold out for the big offers.
"No pressure to sell on 12:59 - Dec 6 with 914 viewsSuperblue95

"No pressure to sell on 12:57 - Dec 6 by lazyblue

That’s what you get for being a L1 side , we can’t actually afford to hold out for the big offers.

I think we can hold out 6 months

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

"No pressure to sell on 13:49 - Dec 6 with 849 viewsBiGDonnie

May as well have said they're both off for a combined £6m in January.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

"No pressure to sell on 16:48 - Dec 6 with 774 viewsTheDailyTractor

"No pressure to sell on 12:18 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

I think your spot on r.e Mings, cresswell and Wickham. But I'd like to point out at the time (if you would agree) that football players weren't being sold for the ridiculous money they go for now so were good fees. The last 3 years prices have sky rocketed for championship players, not to mention wages. Players such as Vydra, Bobby Reid, Murphy brothers, Maupay etc going for big money.

Regarding Waghorn he was in the best form of his career, not even 30 and had a great season. 5m to me when other strikers are going for almost double seemed poor. But I put that down to hurst wanting funds for his own players quickly and not being stubborn enough for true worth.

Deluded is a tad harsh. But I appreciate you're point. Not meaning to come across that way, but Maddison has proved that worth as I believe Downes would aswell. I remember Lamberts first game in charge against Preston I think it was, Downes was on every set piece, calm on the ball, eye for a pass and looked a completely different player. But for me currently hes our best asset. Skuse has been fantastic this season and I think Downes will fit into his role perfectly as the engine room of the team. The difference without him in the side is noticable but I dont see him leaving anytime soon.

Just wanted to make the point that we shouldn't be mugs when it comes to our young players, espicially in todays transfer market. Also don't want to do a Luton (should we hopefully get promoted) and lose two of our stand out performers from league 1 like they did. However I'd like to think we would be in a better position financially.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024