Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car insurance advice 14:17 - Dec 2 with 2740 viewsJon_456

Missus was hit from behind couple weeks back and the other person accepted responsibility, however her car has since been written off and the insurers are offering well below the value of the vehicle.

She's rejected their offer but they're insisting this is the best they can offer and have sent a cheque in the post. She knew they wouldn't give her what the car is worth but what they've offered doesn't come close to allowing her to buy a like for like replacement.

Are there other options she can explore before accepting the offer? Seems harsh that she'll have to fork out £750-£1000 + of her own money to replace it with a similar car.
Car insurance advice on 16:21 - Dec 2 with 695 viewsjeera

Car insurance advice on 16:14 - Dec 2 by Radlett_blue

Not sure it would have helped, unless it was a rear view dashcam!

But the main thing to remember here is that these low-life, dishonest, thieving scum...

will be, without any doubt...

Tories.

#goeswithoutsaying

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Car insurance advice on 16:22 - Dec 2 with 692 viewsSouperJim

Car insurance advice on 16:14 - Dec 2 by Radlett_blue

Not sure it would have helped, unless it was a rear view dashcam!

Many do both, often with a smaller camera for the rear that attaches to the main cam at the front.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Car insurance advice on 16:23 - Dec 2 with 688 viewswkj

Car insurance advice on 16:21 - Dec 2 by jeera

But the main thing to remember here is that these low-life, dishonest, thieving scum...

Tories.

#goeswithoutsaying

I cant wait for Corbyn to put insurance in the public sector.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Car insurance advice on 16:27 - Dec 2 with 684 viewsjeera

Car insurance advice on 16:22 - Dec 2 by SouperJim

Many do both, often with a smaller camera for the rear that attaches to the main cam at the front.

I bought a Torguard (gotta say - the quality is really good), and that comes with a rear cam.

Not that I've set that up yet.

The main camera keeps going off after a few minutes and despite resetting stuff it's still happening. Bloomin' thing.

If you [doesn't have to be you - they don't even have to know you, anyone - knows what to do feel free to let me know]. In English though. Not Mandarin.

Car insurance advice on 16:29 - Dec 2 with 680 viewschicoazul

I have no advice to offer as you have had plenty of good stuff already and I hope you get sorted. Insurance is legalised theft and insurers are scum.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Car insurance advice on 16:31 - Dec 2 with 674 viewsjeera

Car insurance advice on 16:29 - Dec 2 by chicoazul

I have no advice to offer as you have had plenty of good stuff already and I hope you get sorted. Insurance is legalised theft and insurers are scum.

Tory [scum].

Car insurance advice on 16:34 - Dec 2 with 672 viewsDecageBruce

Car insurance advice on 14:56 - Dec 2 by MedwayTractor

I had this exact situation a few years ago. I was offered far less (£1,000) than the asking price on Autotrader of the same make and model. These prices, about £1,500, were for older and and higher mileage cars, so I refused the offer from my insurance company. The offer was increased marginally, but not enough for me to accept. The case was passed to the supervisor, who asked me to prove my case for a higher value. I sent copies from the Autotrader website, which was followed by an offer of £1,500.

Two really annoying things about this were that (1) I had to negotiate the payout with my own insurers, who should have been on my side, and (2) I ended up considerably out of pocket, because I couldn't replace my car with similar and spent a lot of time and money finding a suitable replacement.

Good luck and don't take no for an asnwer!

I would agree with this.

I had exactly this issue 4 years ago and was able to raise the claim from £1500 under (off a £7k car) to £6800.

I trawled dealerships and private seller ads from Autotrader, Gumtree and others, took the Parkers guide valuations and also got a letter the garage that MOT/service the vehicle to prove the state of mine.

I disputed 3 offers in total, raised a formal complaint and threatened with Ombudsman but got there in the end. Unfortunately it took nearly 3 months to get the the final payment.

Tip I was once given by a wise old boss of mine was to ensure that you take the name of the person and time you speak to them along with their supervisors name at the beginning of every conversation.

Another trick I have used a number of times (not just with Insurance but Banks, Electric etc) which also works is when you find a nice and helpful call handler but are still frustrated just say 'Thank you for your help so far you've been great but could I please speak to your supervisor. You've been very helpful and you seem too nice, and probably don't get paid enough, for the amount of grief/sh1t I am about to give someone!'. You find then that you either get a really nice Sup that will try and help or the arsehole supervisor who tend to be rude and you can add this to the complaint
Car insurance advice on 16:46 - Dec 2 with 654 viewsReuser_is_God

I've hit your wife from behind.

However I wasn't driving at the time.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

Car insurance advice on 16:51 - Dec 2 with 650 viewshomer_123

Car insurance advice on 16:46 - Dec 2 by Reuser_is_God

I've hit your wife from behind.

However I wasn't driving at the time.

Sounds about right - you're too scared to actually do that face to face - she'd knock the stuffing out of you. ;)

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Car insurance advice on 17:02 - Dec 2 with 636 viewsjeera

Car insurance advice on 16:21 - Dec 2 by jeera

Tories.

#goeswithoutsaying

I feel bad now Radders.

It was only a bit of fun.

Car insurance advice on 17:49 - Dec 2 with 611 viewsMeadowlark

Cannot add anything helpful except to say that I had exactly the same situation a few years ago and could do fcuk all about it. They offer you the minimum amount which doesn't come close to the replacement value. It's a rotten system.
Car insurance advice on 18:47 - Dec 2 with 592 viewsPendejo

Have you asked about cost of repair?

I had a car written off in September 2014, but was still offered repair as an option as this was cheaper than replacement, there was no damage to any of the mechanical bits and pieces, so took repair. This car is still running today, although loved by another family and in many ways I wish I'd kept it.

The only other thing I would add is if less than Parker's Guide / Market Value via Auto Trader bombard them with all the evidence. Copy the Parker's guide price page and add the adverts for like for like replacement... as all this can be done on line [copy & paste, links etc.] with only your time as the cost gotta be worth it.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Car insurance advice on 19:05 - Dec 2 with 583 viewsjaykay

sorry nothing to add .the only thing i dont get is they always ask the value of the car when you first insure with them. which going by the tales of woe on here the value means jack sh1t

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Car insurance advice on 19:30 - Dec 2 with 571 viewsronnyd

i had my cherished Omega written off about three years ago. Had a lot of toing and froing with my insurance company but in the end really had to accept what they offered. If her car is easily repaired it may be prudent to accept their offer, asking to also keep the car, (they charged me a measly £25) and get it repaired yourself. It really depends how you know your car and also how much you have spent on it before the prang. As has been said, it,s very difficult to replace an older car with like for like as their condition/mileage etc. vary wildly. Good luck.
Car insurance advice on 19:46 - Dec 2 with 546 viewswkj

Car insurance advice on 19:05 - Dec 2 by jaykay

sorry nothing to add .the only thing i dont get is they always ask the value of the car when you first insure with them. which going by the tales of woe on here the value means jack sh1t

When insurers ask for the value of a car now a days it is a bit of a nothing question as it really doesn't have any impact on the price, or potential claim value, unless the value of the car flags for underwriter assessment. Most companies merely have 3 bands of consideration related to price

1. Accept
2. Underwriter decision
3. Rejection

Of my time at DLG I can count on one hand the number of times the price deferred the policy to the underwriters.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2019 19:48]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024