Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Which other club are we most similar to? 12:37 - Oct 8 with 5026 viewshatch

Was thinking this whilst trying to go to sleep last night.

In terms of history, structure, fanbase, stadium, league fortunes and prospect - how would we be perceived by other clubs? What club would we be most compared to?

For example, I see Coventry to be quite similar to Portsmouth.

I was thinking we're quite similar to Nottingham Forest in terms of the above factors, although their trophy cabinet is superior to ours.
Which other club are we most similar to? on 19:24 - Oct 8 with 723 viewspatrickswell

Crystal Palace. After they came down from the Premier League under Ian Dowie and failed to bounce back in 2005-06, they spent 7 seasons essentially doing what we did for most of our time in the Championship though Warnock got them to the playoff final in 07-08. Money ran out, they were essentially flat-lining under Warnock and Burley. Then Dougie Freedman and a promising squad got a decent start to 2012-13, essentially due to the fruits of their youth policy. Ian Holloway kept it going when Freedman jumped ship to Bolton, they edged Bolton out of the play-off places and went up. They’ve been up long enough that Wilfred Zaha was able to leave them and come back and potentially leave them again. All under the eye of Pulis, Warnock and Hodgson - none of whom come under the “young and hungry” category. Steve Parish took some gambles in terms of recruitment and making changes, he was always proactive.

When Keane’s side lost to Warnock’s Palace in the early weeks of 2009-10, he was splashing cash on Martin, Priskin and other flops while Palace didn’t have a pot to pee in. Now, they could buy and sell us many times over. Depressing....
Which other club are we most similar to? on 21:49 - Oct 8 with 669 viewsOxford_Blue

Which other club are we most similar to? on 13:36 - Oct 8 by solemio

The true answer is Norwich City, but of course we can't admit to that.

How are we similar apart from geography?
Which other club are we most similar to? on 21:49 - Oct 8 with 667 viewswkj

Which other club are we most similar to? on 21:49 - Oct 8 by Oxford_Blue

How are we similar apart from geography?

We're both Towns now.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Which other club are we most similar to? on 22:40 - Oct 8 with 636 viewsA90sblue

Blackburn
Or
Birmingham
Which other club are we most similar to? on 23:09 - Oct 8 with 621 viewsBouncebackIpswich

As a Leicester fan with a soft spot for Ipswich, I always thought you were quite similar to us back in the day (although we're probably a more working class version). Hard working teams that play in blue with a decent fanbase and often suffered from bad luck, plus we were both for a long time floating between First and Second Divisions and Premiership and Div 1 after that.

Nowadays I think of Ipswich with Southampton and I'm afraid to say it your friends from up the road. Likeable 'provincial' clubs with a tradition of bringing through youth players and playing football on the floor. Another possible comparison would be a Fulham or Blackburn Rovers
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 23:31]
Which other club are we most similar to? on 23:12 - Oct 8 with 616 viewsBouncebackIpswich

Ps great to see how well you've started, obviously early days but hope you will manage to keep on leading from the front and get back to a league more befitting of Ipswich!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024