Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not looking good in Hong Kong 11:29 - Oct 1 with 2566 viewsStokieBlue

Banning legal protests today because it's the 70th anniversary of the instigation of communist rule was never going to end well. If they had allowed the peaceful legal protest it's possible things could have been better today although it's hard to say anymore.

Seems the police have started using live rounds and a protester has been shot in the chest which has just lead to more violence all round. Live rounds is a definite escalation.

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 11:32]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:48 - Oct 1 with 548 viewsStokieBlue

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:45 - Oct 1 by jaykay

i was led to believe by others on this board, that you never bring someones name into a current thread, who hasn't posted in said thread

Fair point. I was replying to Bluesquid who had posted but probably shouldn't have mentioned CIL. It was used as an example of those who repeatedly do what I was highlighting.

Do you have any views on the thread itself?

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 21:49]

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:49 - Oct 1 with 548 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:26 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

Lovely.

What about the protests in 89 in over 100 other cities? All made up as well? Everyone was pleased with communist authoritarian rule? It's all made up?

As for not criticising other countries, you spend your entire online life saying how you're the only one who understands what is going on and criticising various countries and governments actions. Just not usually totalitarian ones.

I'd also like to know why you've decide to mount a defence of the events 30 years ago rather than address what is going on at the moment?

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 21:28]

You are surprised CIL suggests that the mainstream media are lying and it is all a conspiracy?

I think the time to take notice would be if CIL suggested something wasn't a cover-up/conspiracy!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:49 - Oct 1 with 545 viewswkj

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 15:38 - Oct 1 by SpruceMoose

I can only assume he does remember it, and he liked it.

It is a good opportunity to lay out the old wind up trick

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:55 - Oct 1 with 528 viewscaught-in-limbo

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:40 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

So you acknowledge that in the one thread I posted you ignored the HK police and instead diverted to France. Glad we cleared that up.

"It's actually done (as I've said in this thread) to highlight your sharing of one sided news."

This is just weird. How can news about two different events and places be one-sided? They aren't related so your point is illogical and frankly nonsense.

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 21:42]

Good to see that "keep diverting" has now become "one thread". So you do acknowledge it was a misrepresentation. Glad we cleared that up.

"This is just weird. How can news about two different events and places be one-sided?"

Following that logic, if I express my views about two different events and places, like climate change and the situation in Venezuela, my views cannot be regarded as one-sided.

Remind me, who is supposed to be illogical and frankly nonsensical?

Put the wine gums down Stokie, they're rotting your brain.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:58 - Oct 1 with 525 viewsStokieBlue

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:55 - Oct 1 by caught-in-limbo

Good to see that "keep diverting" has now become "one thread". So you do acknowledge it was a misrepresentation. Glad we cleared that up.

"This is just weird. How can news about two different events and places be one-sided?"

Following that logic, if I express my views about two different events and places, like climate change and the situation in Venezuela, my views cannot be regarded as one-sided.

Remind me, who is supposed to be illogical and frankly nonsensical?

Put the wine gums down Stokie, they're rotting your brain.

That is once again nonsensical.

If someone posts an article about the HK protests, posting one about French protests is not making the debate two-sided. They are two different debates with different circumstances, politics, people and objectives.

I'm just fine but thanks for the insult.

SB

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:02 - Oct 1 with 518 viewscaught-in-limbo

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:47 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

"I could post plenty of articles by westerners living in HK showing enormous sympathy with the Chinese government and critical of the actions of the protestors."

I am sure you could. I am sure anyone else could posts the opposite from expats as well but why focus on expats? Surely you should focus on the people born and raised in HK who will be living there long after the expats leave?

I would also highlight that myself and others have criticised the violence of the protester. You are yet to criticise the violence of the police - they shot someone today with live rounds - you've not mentioned it at all - instead you prefer to post videos attempting to excuse the Chinese state (by the way your link doesn't work) on an event that happened 30 years ago.

I'd say that's rather shameful.

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 21:51]

The link probably doesn't work because wikileaks is often not accessible in the UK. Funny how state censorship prevents good, information-seeking people of the world from being be informed. Now that really is shameful.

CIL

#toxic

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:03 - Oct 1 with 514 viewscaught-in-limbo

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:48 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

Fair point. I was replying to Bluesquid who had posted but probably shouldn't have mentioned CIL. It was used as an example of those who repeatedly do what I was highlighting.

SB

Apology accepted.

I make that 3 in this thread now.

#toxic

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:07 - Oct 1 with 510 viewsStokieBlue

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:02 - Oct 1 by caught-in-limbo

The link probably doesn't work because wikileaks is often not accessible in the UK. Funny how state censorship prevents good, information-seeking people of the world from being be informed. Now that really is shameful.

CIL

I actually meant the video of the tank man but I believe I've found it elsewhere and I'm not sure what it was supposed to show which helps your point.

You've still not said anything about the police brutality but have mentioned the protesters violence and how 1989 isn't how we all believe and how the Chinese government isn't how we all think it is (I think the Uighurs might disagree).

It's transparent and there for everyone to see so I'll leave it there now.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:08 - Oct 1 with 508 viewscaught-in-limbo

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:58 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

If someone posts an article about the HK protests, posting one about French protests is not making the debate two-sided. They are two different debates with different circumstances, politics, people and objectives.

I'm just fine but thanks for the insult.

SB

First you drag me into a thread I wasn't involved in (with a misrepresentation) then you get insulted by Winegums!

Wow, your skin is as thick as a rhino's at times.

#Gollum

#toxic

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:11 - Oct 1 with 502 viewsBluesquid

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 19:43 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

What does that have to do with journalists?

Why do you only seem to condemn the protester and never the police? They shot someone with a live round yet you don't even mention it.

Protesters shouldn't be acting like that but you never seem to criticise the police - you didn't last month either.

Can I ask why?

SB

Terrible incident today with the shooting and i hope that fella will be ok.

Police should be condemned for that action as it should only be used as a very last resort in self defence only.

These protests have been going on for months now with brutal and thuggish attacks on civilians and widespread vandalism carried out on a daily basis towards the civilian infrastructure and there is no way and i mean no way that the UK or US police would have put up with this behavior.

In the US and UK these 'protesters' with hammers would have been kettled within the first week and you know it as well.
Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:16 - Oct 1 with 491 viewsStokieBlue

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:11 - Oct 1 by Bluesquid

Terrible incident today with the shooting and i hope that fella will be ok.

Police should be condemned for that action as it should only be used as a very last resort in self defence only.

These protests have been going on for months now with brutal and thuggish attacks on civilians and widespread vandalism carried out on a daily basis towards the civilian infrastructure and there is no way and i mean no way that the UK or US police would have put up with this behavior.

In the US and UK these 'protesters' with hammers would have been kettled within the first week and you know it as well.

Fair enough on the points on the police you've now raised and criticised.

I'm still unsure what the point about the journalists was though? Why shouldn't they wear protective gear and record the events?

"brutal and thuggish attacks on civilians" - I recall one attack which you posted on here (and that seemed a very complex example but should be and was condemned). You have evidence that they are randomly attacking civilians more frequently?

"In the US and UK these 'protesters' with hammers would have been kettled within the first week and you know it as well."

In the UK the protests wouldn't have been banned in the first place and thus they wouldn't have had to come out with weapons to get their voice heard. They also wouldn't have been tear gassed, shot with plastic bullets and then real bullets. Once again I criticise the violence from the protesters but you're not comparing like to like here.

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 22:17]

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:17 - Oct 1 with 489 viewscaught-in-limbo

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:07 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

I actually meant the video of the tank man but I believe I've found it elsewhere and I'm not sure what it was supposed to show which helps your point.

You've still not said anything about the police brutality but have mentioned the protesters violence and how 1989 isn't how we all believe and how the Chinese government isn't how we all think it is (I think the Uighurs might disagree).

It's transparent and there for everyone to see so I'll leave it there now.

SB

If you're not sure what the video is supposed to show, perhaps it's not the same video.

Perhaps you could link the video you have so I can confirm that the contents are the same and then I'll explain my point to you.

Shooting at peaceful protestors with live ammunition is wrong. In fact, I'll go further, shooting at peaceful protestors with anything is wrong.

"so I'll leave it there now. "

LOL. You have NEVER respected that promise with me on this forum in scores of instances. Why do you bother?

#IBidYouGoodDay
#LOL

#toxic

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:20 - Oct 1 with 483 viewscaught-in-limbo

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:16 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

I'm still unsure what the point about the journalists was though? Why shouldn't they wear protective gear and record the events?

"brutal and thuggish attacks on civilians" - I recall one attack which you posted on here (and that seemed a very complex example but should be and was condemned). You have evidence that they are randomly attacking civilians more frequently?

"In the US and UK these 'protesters' with hammers would have been kettled within the first week and you know it as well."

In the UK the protests wouldn't have been banned in the first place and thus they wouldn't have had to come out with weapons to get their voice heard. They also wouldn't have been tear gassed, shot with plastic bullets and then real bullets. Once again I criticise the violence from the protesters but you're not comparing like to like here.

SB

"thus they wouldn't have had to come out with weapons to get their voice heard."

That makes no sense at all unless they are using megaphones as weapons.

#winegums
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 22:32]

#toxic

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:49 - Oct 1 with 462 viewsBluesquid

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:16 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

SB

I was being sarcastic regarding my earlier point about journalists giving up their protective gear, of course they shouldn't and it makes it even more shocking to know that in an EU democracy like France the police were doing just that in confiscating the protective gear of clearly identified journalists covering the Yellow Vests protests.

Keep reading down his posts for more.

"In the UK the protests wouldn't have been banned in the first place.."

Don't think so, protests inside a major UK airport would have never have been tolerated as it's a major security risk and you also know that.

You are certainly right about one thing though when you stated earlier -
"They are separate events."

Separate events with completely and utterly different levels of coverage.

Hardly any coverage at all if any of the Yellow Vests protests compared to a full scale intensive all channel coverage of whats going on in Hong Kong.

A little strange don't you think?
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 22:53]
Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:59 - Oct 1 with 447 viewsStokieBlue

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:49 - Oct 1 by Bluesquid

I was being sarcastic regarding my earlier point about journalists giving up their protective gear, of course they shouldn't and it makes it even more shocking to know that in an EU democracy like France the police were doing just that in confiscating the protective gear of clearly identified journalists covering the Yellow Vests protests.

Keep reading down his posts for more.

"In the UK the protests wouldn't have been banned in the first place.."

Don't think so, protests inside a major UK airport would have never have been tolerated as it's a major security risk and you also know that.

You are certainly right about one thing though when you stated earlier -
"They are separate events."

Separate events with completely and utterly different levels of coverage.

Hardly any coverage at all if any of the Yellow Vests protests compared to a full scale intensive all channel coverage of whats going on in Hong Kong.

A little strange don't you think?
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 22:53]

Thanks for the video. They obviously shouldn't do that but once again why were they doing it? Whatever the reason it's wrong. I read down the comments and there are lots of examples from people of pro-government and "triads" doing the same things to protesters. There should be no violence from either side.

"Separate events with completely and utterly different levels of coverage.

A little strange don't you think?"

I think this is unfair. There was a lot of coverage of the yellow vest protests when they happened. However there are huge differences:

- Hong Kong is an ex-British colony and we have an agreement with China regarding it's governance which was being tested. Given both those things it's going to get more coverage.

- The protests have been far larger and more continuous than the yellow vest protests.

- They are protesting about different things - freedom, the continuation of democracy and respecting a legally binding agreement rather than governmental policy and economics.

- Hong Kong and China are simply more important globally than protests in France which aren't really affecting anything. That's brutal but true.

So I still think it's apples and oranges. If you think it's more sinister then can you outline why you think that and what it's supposed to achieve?

SB

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 23:12 - Oct 1 with 440 viewsBluesquid

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:59 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

Thanks for the video. They obviously shouldn't do that but once again why were they doing it? Whatever the reason it's wrong. I read down the comments and there are lots of examples from people of pro-government and "triads" doing the same things to protesters. There should be no violence from either side.

I think this is unfair. There was a lot of coverage of the yellow vest protests when they happened. However there are huge differences:

- Hong Kong is an ex-British colony and we have an agreement with China regarding it's governance which was being tested. Given both those things it's going to get more coverage.

- The protests have been far larger and more continuous than the yellow vest protests.

- They are protesting about different things - freedom, the continuation of democracy and respecting a legally binding agreement rather than governmental policy and economics.

- Hong Kong and China are simply more important globally than protests in France which aren't really affecting anything. That's brutal but true.

So I still think it's apples and oranges. If you think it's more sinister then can you outline why you think that and what it's supposed to achieve?

SB

"I think this is unfair. There was a lot of coverage of the yellow vest protests when they happened."

This is certainly not the case, i followed from the very beginning the Yellow Vests protests in France which are still on going btw and there was not a lot of coverage at all as is the case today.

I'm afraid you are way off the mark with that comment as you often are when you reply to a post with "I think this is unfair or I think you are being unfair".

You tried that "unfair" lark a while back when all i done was quote word for word exactly what another posted had said which showed his statement to be absolutely false.

"Hong Kong and China are simply more important globally than protests in France which aren't really affecting anything"

What a thoroughly heartless and callous comment that is.
Not looking good in Hong Kong on 23:22 - Oct 1 with 426 viewsStokieBlue

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 23:12 - Oct 1 by Bluesquid

"I think this is unfair. There was a lot of coverage of the yellow vest protests when they happened."

This is certainly not the case, i followed from the very beginning the Yellow Vests protests in France which are still on going btw and there was not a lot of coverage at all as is the case today.

I'm afraid you are way off the mark with that comment as you often are when you reply to a post with "I think this is unfair or I think you are being unfair".

You tried that "unfair" lark a while back when all i done was quote word for word exactly what another posted had said which showed his statement to be absolutely false.

"Hong Kong and China are simply more important globally than protests in France which aren't really affecting anything"

What a thoroughly heartless and callous comment that is.

You've not actually addressed any of the points though. You can say you disagree, that's fine but you've not actually countered them.

The yellow vest protests aren't 50k+ people on the streets, you are totally neglecting scale in your quest for equivalence.

"What a thoroughly heartless and callous comment that is."

It's simply true. I didn't say anything more than a fact so how can it be heartless and callous. Unfortunately it's the way of the world and Hong Kong and China and what happens over this whole movement is more important globally than what goes on internally in France. Given that your comment is not really very fair on me. By your logic every protest, regardless of the size or magnitude should be granted the same level of coverage - clearly that has never and will never happen.

Finally you've still not put forward a reason why you think the coverage is biased and different and what this difference is trying to achieve as per my question.

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 23:23]

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 23:30 - Oct 1 with 412 viewsjaykay

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 21:48 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

SB

as someone who has visited hong kong island also kowloon 6 times in the last 8 years , i am sadden to see this happen. i have the upmost respect for those who live there but i do know from experience that they do not like the main land chinese. that is to put it mildly .
the british have firmly implanted good manners into the people from hong kong and they think the chinese have no respect and good manners.
i don't know what to believe as i think the protesters have got very violent ,and what has led to the violence. the police have to keep law and order but not by shooting a protester.
also i know that the hong kong people cannot win this battle.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 23:33 - Oct 1 with 411 viewsBluesquid

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 23:22 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

You've not actually addressed any of the points though. You can say you disagree, that's fine but you've not actually countered them.

The yellow vest protests aren't 50k+ people on the streets, you are totally neglecting scale in your quest for equivalence.

"What a thoroughly heartless and callous comment that is."

It's simply true. I didn't say anything more than a fact so how can it be heartless and callous. Unfortunately it's the way of the world and Hong Kong and China and what happens over this whole movement is more important globally than what goes on internally in France. Given that your comment is not really very fair on me. By your logic every protest, regardless of the size or magnitude should be granted the same level of coverage - clearly that has never and will never happen.

Finally you've still not put forward a reason why you think the coverage is biased and different and what this difference is trying to achieve as per my question.

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 23:23]

"The yellow vest protests aren't 50k+ people on the streets, you are totally neglecting scale in your quest for equivalence."

Again, way off the mark. 50k+ easy in total during the weekends over the whole of France in various cities and towns.

"More than 100,000 people took part in about 1,600 protests across France on Saturday, the interior ministry said. Most passed off peacefully - except in the capital, where 8,000 demonstrators gathered."

"what happens over this whole movement is more important globally than what goes on internally in France. "

Not to those French people who are basically just trying to survive.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 23:40]
Not looking good in Hong Kong on 23:42 - Oct 1 with 396 viewsStokieBlue

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 23:33 - Oct 1 by Bluesquid

"The yellow vest protests aren't 50k+ people on the streets, you are totally neglecting scale in your quest for equivalence."

Again, way off the mark. 50k+ easy in total during the weekends over the whole of France in various cities and towns.

"More than 100,000 people took part in about 1,600 protests across France on Saturday, the interior ministry said. Most passed off peacefully - except in the capital, where 8,000 demonstrators gathered."

"what happens over this whole movement is more important globally than what goes on internally in France. "

Not to those French people who are basically just trying to survive.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 23:40]

"Again, way off the mark. 50k+ easy in total certain weekends over the whole of France in various cities and towns."

Once again, not a single protest and thus not the same scale. I see you've edited the post now - so the biggest was 8000 protesters in Paris - it's not the same. Perhaps there should be more coverage but you aren't equating like with like.

"Not to those French people who are basically just trying to survive."

This is annoying. I've not said anything along those lines yet you've pushed the angle twice. Please take the posts in the context they are given. I've never said it's not important to the French people, I've said it's not as important globally. You've not countered that, you've just attacked me.

You've still not answered my question on why you think the coverage is different and what is the endgame even though I've asked twice now. You've also ignored the historical context between the UK and Hong Kong.

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 23:44]

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 23:46 - Oct 1 with 390 viewsBluesquid

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 23:42 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

"Again, way off the mark. 50k+ easy in total certain weekends over the whole of France in various cities and towns."

Once again, not a single protest and thus not the same scale. I see you've edited the post now - so the biggest was 8000 protesters in Paris - it's not the same. Perhaps there should be more coverage but you aren't equating like with like.

"Not to those French people who are basically just trying to survive."

This is annoying. I've not said anything along those lines yet you've pushed the angle twice. Please take the posts in the context they are given. I've never said it's not important to the French people, I've said it's not as important globally. You've not countered that, you've just attacked me.

You've still not answered my question on why you think the coverage is different and what is the endgame even though I've asked twice now. You've also ignored the historical context between the UK and Hong Kong.

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 23:44]

"Once again, not a single protest and thus not the same scale."

282k was the largest estimate a single weekend, large enough for you?
Not looking good in Hong Kong on 23:52 - Oct 1 with 375 viewsStokieBlue

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 23:46 - Oct 1 by Bluesquid

"Once again, not a single protest and thus not the same scale."

282k was the largest estimate a single weekend, large enough for you?

When was that and what was the largest single one? A weekend is two days at least. How many protested in Hong Kong over the last 4 months on a daily basis? I suspect that in France there is more coverage of the French protests than Hong Kong? Why do you continue to ignore the historical context with regards to UK, China and HK?

Apparently the 1st July march in HK was 550k. That's one day. Why do you think the French protests should get as much coverage in the UK media as the Hong Kong ones?

It's pretty annoying to repeatedly ask for either information, views or theories and to be totally ignored whilst you just concentrate on whatever you feel like.

I'm off to sleep - goodnight.

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 23:54]

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 23:58 - Oct 1 with 361 viewsBluesquid

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 23:52 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

When was that and what was the largest single one? A weekend is two days at least. How many protested in Hong Kong over the last 4 months on a daily basis? I suspect that in France there is more coverage of the French protests than Hong Kong? Why do you continue to ignore the historical context with regards to UK, China and HK?

Apparently the 1st July march in HK was 550k. That's one day. Why do you think the French protests should get as much coverage in the UK media as the Hong Kong ones?

It's pretty annoying to repeatedly ask for either information, views or theories and to be totally ignored whilst you just concentrate on whatever you feel like.

I'm off to sleep - goodnight.

SB
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 23:54]

282k across the whole of France on November 17th 2018.

What did you say now about the yellow vest protests not being 50k+ people on the street?
[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 0:00]
Not looking good in Hong Kong on 00:42 - Oct 2 with 343 viewscaught-in-limbo

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 22:59 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

SB

"There was a lot of coverage of the yellow vest protests when they happened."

"The protests have been far larger and more continuous than the yellow vest protests."

Are you really so ignorant about the Gilets Jaune protests?

Please tell me when you think "they happened?"

Crikey!

#toxic

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 00:54 - Oct 2 with 340 viewscaught-in-limbo

Not looking good in Hong Kong on 23:58 - Oct 1 by Bluesquid

282k across the whole of France on November 17th 2018.

What did you say now about the yellow vest protests not being 50k+ people on the street?
[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 0:00]

If Stokie and you switched sides, Stokie would most likely be pointing out that the HK protests were just confined to the small geographical area of HK, whereas in France there have been protests every single weekend for 11 months now in every French city in a country with an area 582 times greater than Hong Kong.

It's not important that you prove him wrong about numbers of protestors, you're still not answering his straw man question.

#unfair
#annoying
#FalseEquivalence
[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 1:07]

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024