Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stamp duty reversal 09:28 - Aug 17 with 3494 viewsStokieBlue

Does anyone think this will make any difference to the housing market? I would have thought sellers would just factor the stamp duty they had to pay into the price.

It does seem sensible that the person likely making money on the property should pay the tax rather than the person trying to own the property although there are virtually no details to go on at the moment so hard to say.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/16/sajid-javid-refuses-to-rule-out

He might not even get a chance to do anything if a unity coalition is sorted out quickly.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Stamp duty reversal on 12:58 - Aug 17 with 438 viewsElephantintheRoom

It wont make any difference at all. Stamp duty is factored into the buyers costs anyway. A much better idea would be to abolish it as it seems a tad strange to tax someone for owning a house. Utterly daft idea from a clueless individual who saw nothing strange in announcing daft immigration rules that would have barred his own father.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Stamp duty reversal on 12:59 - Aug 17 with 439 viewsBrixtonBlue

Stamp duty reversal on 12:47 - Aug 17 by sparks

You said it was the reason for being of the conservative party. Which assumes motivations. Which was the point I have made.

If you genuinely believe that the party exists, and that a vast majority of members actively and cynically seek to benefit the wealthy to the intentional detriment of the rest, then you will never be persuasive in arguments ont he subject- because your starting premise is either hopelessly flawed, or hopelessly unevidenced. Or more likely, both.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 12:48]

Now you're making assumptions!

I'm not sure most rank and file Tories seek to benefit the wealthy, but I do think there's an "I'm alright Jack" mentality to being a Tory. Which is fine - I can understand people wanting to protect their own. I just don't happen to subscribe to that myself.

Certainly there's no way you can be a Tory voter and thinking you're going to be benefitting the poor and disadvantaged, unless you're deluded.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Stamp duty reversal on 13:08 - Aug 17 with 417 viewsDarth_Koont

Stamp duty reversal on 12:59 - Aug 17 by BrixtonBlue

Now you're making assumptions!

I'm not sure most rank and file Tories seek to benefit the wealthy, but I do think there's an "I'm alright Jack" mentality to being a Tory. Which is fine - I can understand people wanting to protect their own. I just don't happen to subscribe to that myself.

Certainly there's no way you can be a Tory voter and thinking you're going to be benefitting the poor and disadvantaged, unless you're deluded.

Agreed.

Also it's human nature to want to assume that what's good for you is also good for everyone else. Even if you have to lie to yourself to achieve that.

The sooner we can get away from politicians and policies that look to exploit people's self-interests, prejudices and beliefs the better. Clearly, we should be having much more objective and factual political debates about what actually works for the greater good.

After all, the evidence for what works and what doesn't work is everywhere, in the UK and abroad. But we seemingly can't be bothered to abandon our subjective world views and would rather be wrong about stuff.

Pronouns: He/Him

Stamp duty reversal on 13:14 - Aug 17 with 389 viewsitfcjoe

Stamp duty reversal on 13:08 - Aug 17 by Darth_Koont

Agreed.

Also it's human nature to want to assume that what's good for you is also good for everyone else. Even if you have to lie to yourself to achieve that.

The sooner we can get away from politicians and policies that look to exploit people's self-interests, prejudices and beliefs the better. Clearly, we should be having much more objective and factual political debates about what actually works for the greater good.

After all, the evidence for what works and what doesn't work is everywhere, in the UK and abroad. But we seemingly can't be bothered to abandon our subjective world views and would rather be wrong about stuff.

I can understand the Conservative argument, and there are definitely some merits to it otherwise we wouldn't be where we are

But we are not talking about proper Conservatives, we are talking about a PM who is happy to F*ck Business, Immigrants who are now putting ridiculous earning caps in place which would have left their parents behind it, people pushing No Deal knowing full well it will screw the economy.

These are not normal times, and these are not normal conservatives,

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Stamp duty reversal on 13:25 - Aug 17 with 368 viewsDarth_Koont

Stamp duty reversal on 13:14 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

I can understand the Conservative argument, and there are definitely some merits to it otherwise we wouldn't be where we are

But we are not talking about proper Conservatives, we are talking about a PM who is happy to F*ck Business, Immigrants who are now putting ridiculous earning caps in place which would have left their parents behind it, people pushing No Deal knowing full well it will screw the economy.

These are not normal times, and these are not normal conservatives,

Agreed there.

But that's where the other common strain of nationalism and some outdated British exceptionalism in the Conservative party comes through and takes precedence. Similarly, I bet these loons think that this is all in the best interests of the economy and business in the long run.

And they feel that because that's what will probably benefit them politically but possibly financially too. It'll certainly benefit the anti-regulation, tax avoiding disaster capitalists who back them and who are dripping this nonsense into their ears.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024