Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hurrah, another financial crisis 13:30 - Aug 14 with 4703 viewsGuthrum

Well done, governments of the world!

We're all heading for a
'nother recession
No more money for a
Year or few
Things'll be grim in a
'nother recession
No nice things for me or you
Might lose our jobs too
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 13:35]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 16:53 - Aug 14 with 1376 viewsnrb1985

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 16:48 - Aug 14 by midastouch

This could be worth a watch, haven't seen it yet but will watch it later when I have time. Just watched the first couple of minutes and I've added it to my watchlist.

Video description:
Is global recession coming — and if so, what should investors do about it? Here's a peek at the upcoming conversations we'll be releasing that explore the likelihood of a global recession. Subscribe so you don't miss a single interview.

Real Vision co-founder Raoul Pal is asking the questions that matter most for markets and addressing them with some of the world’s most insightful investors and analysts. In this piece, which has been compiled from videos that were previously released on Real Vision, we hear from experts including John Burbank, Kiril Sokoloff, Josh Wolfe, and Greg Weldon.

Thanks, will take a look.
Hurrah, another financial crisis on 16:54 - Aug 14 with 1376 viewsfooters

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 16:05 - Aug 14 by StokieBlue

Those are fair points, what are your thoughts on some form of UBI? Of course the question there is once again how to pay for it. I'm not really in favour of a LVT though, well not one that I've seen so far.

Two wrongs don't make a right though. It's a dinosaur in the modern world really. As for bad deal for taxpayers, it certainly was for a few years but the share price is ~50% of the IPO price now so perhaps the price taxpayers received was actually generous and the original rise was based on very little real value.

It was certainly ideologically driven but then so is blanket renationalisation. Neither is the correct way forward. I certainly agree with nationalising some infrastructure though, depending on how it's done.

SB
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 16:07]

I was at a conference last year where someone suggested funding UBI through the sale of personal data, especially in line with the development of more IoT/big data projects. It's an interesting idea, if not a bit Orwellian!

Blanket renationalisation isn't really what I'm calling for here. Like you, I think it's only fair to recognise when privatisation works and when it doesn't. It's been shown not to work in most utilities and transport networks, and no red tape ever gets really cut as commercial businesses simply create their own.

Personally, I'd like to fully privatise the military and return to privateerism :) Now that would be exciting!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 17:06 - Aug 14 with 1360 viewsgordon

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 15:53 - Aug 14 by nrb1985

Don't agree with this.

People trading sentiment around trade, not fundamentals - which are actually OK albeit manufacturing is slowing.

And whatever happens, banks are so well capitalised now it's very unlikely to be anything like 2008 again (Barring an unkonwn unkown coming out of the woodwork - I woild class trade, brexit & Italy as known unknowns)

I happen to believe the "Goldilocks" scenario is the most likely outcome now. I.e. growth is neither too cold nor too hot.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 15:55]

There are billions and billions of dollars of assets on oil company balance sheets around the world which are fossil fuel extraction rights, which have to be revalued to nil. Think the book value now of the effectively useless assets is far greater than the sub-prime correction.
Hurrah, another financial crisis on 19:56 - Aug 14 with 1270 viewsDarth_Koont

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 15:31 - Aug 14 by StokieBlue

Fair point.

The US seems the same. One day it's free trade deals all round and the next it's a different arm of the government saying they will block any trade deals if the good friday agreement is impacted (which it will be):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49348062

Just more from the never-ending shower.

SB

What I find remarkable about this, certainly in the UK, is that our press is generally awful at holding politicians to account on the long-term issues and divisions affecting the country and the trends that will shape the future such as Automation, AI, the environment, aging population etc.

That's partly because well over half the press is uninterested in any of that ideologically. But also I think because the media now looks to the politicians to tell them what current affairs and the news is, so dependent is their business model on politicians, parties and lobbyists providing them with content. Also the long-term view doesn't create a narrative because nothing happens in the traditional news cycle.

It's increasingly apparent we need to see a change in our mass media to raise the really important issues into the public and political debate. It doesn't particularly help having these conversations on social media either where they are ripe for manipulation and an actual narrowing of the debate if people are sufficiently motivated e.g. the Leave campaign and Cambridge Analytica.

Pronouns: He/Him

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 20:02 - Aug 14 with 1260 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Has the last one finished yet?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 22:13 - Aug 14 with 1217 viewsStokieBlue

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 16:54 - Aug 14 by footers

I was at a conference last year where someone suggested funding UBI through the sale of personal data, especially in line with the development of more IoT/big data projects. It's an interesting idea, if not a bit Orwellian!

Blanket renationalisation isn't really what I'm calling for here. Like you, I think it's only fair to recognise when privatisation works and when it doesn't. It's been shown not to work in most utilities and transport networks, and no red tape ever gets really cut as commercial businesses simply create their own.

Personally, I'd like to fully privatise the military and return to privateerism :) Now that would be exciting!

Sir Francis Footers certainly has a ring to it.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 15:00 - Aug 15 with 1159 viewsmidastouch

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 16:16 - Aug 14 by nrb1985

Can't see your chart for some reason but gold going up is as a result of so much negative yielding debt and the flight to safety seems to be driven mostly by trade fears.

Depends I suppose on whether you think we will end up in a fully blown trade war or whether Trump will need to do a deal pre 2020.

Two good short videos on this subject, one posted back in late March this year:

And one posted today:

And this one from two weeks ago:

Some good technical analysis on how close we might be to a major correction in the markets. I posted the one from March as that adds a lot of credibility to the next two vids, as you can see it looked a good accurate call well ahead of where we are now.

It might actually be better to watch the one posted today first and then return to the one posted in March after (should you find the one posted today of interest).

Cheers

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 16:32 - Aug 15 with 1135 viewsnrb1985

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 15:00 - Aug 15 by midastouch

Two good short videos on this subject, one posted back in late March this year:

And one posted today:

And this one from two weeks ago:

Some good technical analysis on how close we might be to a major correction in the markets. I posted the one from March as that adds a lot of credibility to the next two vids, as you can see it looked a good accurate call well ahead of where we are now.

It might actually be better to watch the one posted today first and then return to the one posted in March after (should you find the one posted today of interest).

Cheers

I don't think we can rely too much on technicals presently because we are always one tweet away from a complete reversal in sentiment.

The 2s10 inverting told us nothing we didn't already know. We are likely to have a recession in the next 6-18months, which is something we knew 3 months ago.

Keep calm and carry on, and don't try to fight the FED or the US Consumer!
Login to get fewer ads

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 20:30 - Sep 3 with 979 viewsmidastouch

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 16:11 - Aug 14 by midastouch

You can see there are a lot of investors getting squeaky bums as the price of gold (seen as a safe haven in times of potential trouble) has broken a key resistance level on the weekly chart (this chart is the price of gold in dollars rather than sterling):

That black resistance line I've drawn hadn't been breached in 3 years but broke it just a few weeks ago. Gold went up a lot last week too. Not saying I'd want to ever put all my eggs in the gold basket but I can see why some people are putting 10% of their portfolios into precious metals (gold and silver) at a time like this given there does seem some real economic uncertainty ahead. Gold and silver prices had been in real decline since the previous highs of 2011 but there does seem to be some suggestion they are finally waking up again. The Gold to Dow ratio is always worth watching as gives a good indication as to when stocks are overvalued and gold is undervalued and vice versa.

Silver on steroids at the moment! Up 3.29% on the day at present. Has come alive since May. Still got a long way to go though to reach the 2011 highs when it briefly threatened to take out $50 an ounce.

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 20:37 - Sep 3 with 966 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 20:30 - Sep 3 by midastouch

Silver on steroids at the moment! Up 3.29% on the day at present. Has come alive since May. Still got a long way to go though to reach the 2011 highs when it briefly threatened to take out $50 an ounce.

Max Keiser will be pleased!

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 20:40 - Sep 3 with 962 viewsmidastouch

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 20:37 - Sep 3 by BanksterDebtSlave

Max Keiser will be pleased!

Keiser is more into BTC these days but I do remember his "buy silver and crash J P Morgan" campaign a few years ago.
Keiser has made more millionaires than anybody I can think of in recent times, he told anybody that watches the Keiser Report to buy BTC when it was £30 a coin (I remember it very well). A single coin of BTC is over $10k now! That's some percentage increase! BTC is up 2.5% against the USD today.
Long live the Keiser!!!

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 20:47 - Sep 3 with 933 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 20:40 - Sep 3 by midastouch

Keiser is more into BTC these days but I do remember his "buy silver and crash J P Morgan" campaign a few years ago.
Keiser has made more millionaires than anybody I can think of in recent times, he told anybody that watches the Keiser Report to buy BTC when it was £30 a coin (I remember it very well). A single coin of BTC is over $10k now! That's some percentage increase! BTC is up 2.5% against the USD today.
Long live the Keiser!!!

I was watching......I didn't listen!

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 20:52 - Sep 3 with 919 viewsmidastouch

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 20:47 - Sep 3 by BanksterDebtSlave

I was watching......I didn't listen!

They should make him Chancellor, we'd be a super power before the year is out! :-)

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 21:37 - Sep 3 with 881 viewsjaykay

Hurrah, another financial crisis on 15:49 - Aug 14 by footers

Not Georgism specifically, but new ways of thinking are needed here. The current system simply isn't anywhere redistributive enough imo. Especially in light of growing automation/AI, etc- we need something drastically different. What, I do not know.

Can I just ask why privatising a profitable, nationalised business was a good idea in the first place? It was clearly ideological and a bad deal for taxpayers.

well to the tories it a good idea as you get trickle down wealth. its worked so well they going to privatise the n.h.s and have trickle down health from the rich to the poor

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024