Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WWII book help - holiday reading edition 08:21 - Jul 28 with 2452 viewsartsbossbeard

I was listening to Johnny Vaughan on Radio X and he mentioned a WWII book, which was written by a Third Reich Commander after the war that detailed Hitler's big strategical errors and blamed the German losses at Dunkirk on Hitler's adoration of all things British and hatred for the Soviet system - more soldiers detailed to the east rather than sent to Dunkirk.

Long shot, but does anyone know of this book/author/title?

Thanks in advance.

ABB

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:41 - Jul 29 with 346 viewsartsbossbeard

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:33 - Jul 29 by GeoffSentence

That's is something to consider, you may end up paying the £126 to replace the book anyway

https://suffolk.spydus.co.uk/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/ENQ/OPAC/BIBENQ?BRN=392634

£19 delivered from ebay.

That's all sorted.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 10:53 - Jul 29 with 307 viewsHARRY10

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 08:53 - Jul 28 by Ftnfwest

Guderian wrote an autobiography called ‘panzer leader’ and was the only prominently involved general that survived the war, although only for a few years. The panzer division were successful out of all expectation during the battle of France but typically penetrated many miles without support and relied on the defenders to panic and run in confusion, which they did! The tanks at Dunkirk we’re well beyond support and I imagine he didn’t want to lose too much hardware given what he had in mind on the eastern front the following year so halted them while support arrived (that and Goering convincing him to leave it to the Luftwaffe!

What is over looked is the state of both the German soldiers and the tanks.

The former were able to advance through the Ardennes through heavy use of methyl-amphetamine (Pervitin), which was seen as a wonder drug and could be openly bought. However with all of this stuff their comes a 'day of reckoning many of the German soldiers were 'dead' on their feet and incapable of continuing. Shades of Operation Michael (March 2018).

It should also be noted that Rommel's forces had been given a wake up call by the Brish at Arras and were held by two composite (cobbled together) divisions of the French 1st Army for 4 days at Arras. Only surrendering when their ammunition ran out - but long enough for Operation Dynamo to succeed.

Unfortunately, as with many battles, we only know of one side of events so they form the opinion - nuch as the idea the Germans could have invaded the British mainland after Dunkirk. Hitlers fascination with Russia goes back to the lead up to 1914, likewise the knowledge that only a quick victory could be successful either on the Eastern or Western front in both wars.

von Manstein is a very interesting General. Very successful and probably the only one who had a military career after WW2.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024