Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Speeding.. 10:01 - Jul 17 with 9004 viewsGooders7592

Not my greatest moment, but I think I was caught speeding last Thursday going from a country road (60) into a village (30) by one of those police camera vans. I think I was doing about 40 as I was slowing down to enter the village.

Looked on Google maps and the distance from the speed change to where the van was located is 0.2 miles. I read online there is a 1 minute allowance to reduce your speed, and I assume 0.2 miles is a lot less than a minute at 30mph?

However, as I got face on and I could see the officer inside was writing or something that looked like this. Could this mean I might be fine as he wasn't operating the 'gun' or does it it mean I've been caught and he was writing my details down?

Hoping some of you might be able to shed some light as I've been driving for 3 & a half years and never had this before!
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 10:02]
Speeding.. on 19:13 - Jul 17 with 1336 viewsbluelagos

Speeding.. on 18:54 - Jul 17 by Trequartista

you can do 10% + 2 over the limit so 35 in a 30. plus your speedo will be over-calibrated so around 38 on your speedo is ok (but 35 on a satnav).

i did wonder whether the 10% + 2 rule was a myth but norfolk and suffolk police accidentally posted a document on their twitter once confirming it was true for speed cameras.

Yep. I had a chat with a traffic copper (Warwickshire) a few years ago who explained it thus:

Each force uses a formula +10% + x. As you said most counties have 10% + 2mph. Warwickshire was +12 at the time. That is the threshold at which they prosecute.

So in a 70, you could do 79 in most counties, 89 in Warwickshire. Add on the 10% you are over calibrated and if your speedo shows 85* you should be ok.

*Not condoning speeding of course, and possess a clean license :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Speeding.. on 19:17 - Jul 17 with 1326 viewsbluelagos

So you've had a week already. They have 14 days for the fine to hit you, so I reckon you could well be ok this time. If the copper was in the van, that suggests he hadn't set it up yet. They leave them and go and do other things, rather than sit in them all day.

Speeding.. on 19:20 - Jul 17 with 1319 viewsbluelagos

Speeding.. on 10:19 - Jul 17 by The_Last_Baron

How can you be doing 40 going around a roundabout. Even Senna at his peak would find that tough.

There are plenty of roundabouts that 40 mph isn't even close to being an excessive speed. If you can see it's clear, good conditions and it's within the speed limit, why would you not do 40 mph? Especially coming off them onto a clear road / dual carriage way.

Speeding.. on 19:38 - Jul 17 with 1310 viewspeterleeblue

Speeding.. on 10:28 - Jul 17 by The_Last_Baron

Ok, ignorance.and stupidity.

Stones and Glasshouses come to mind.
Speeding.. on 19:43 - Jul 17 with 1304 viewsTrequartista

Speeding.. on 19:13 - Jul 17 by bluelagos

Yep. I had a chat with a traffic copper (Warwickshire) a few years ago who explained it thus:

Each force uses a formula +10% + x. As you said most counties have 10% + 2mph. Warwickshire was +12 at the time. That is the threshold at which they prosecute.

So in a 70, you could do 79 in most counties, 89 in Warwickshire. Add on the 10% you are over calibrated and if your speedo shows 85* you should be ok.

*Not condoning speeding of course, and possess a clean license :-)

Seems to be a national guideline now (section NPCC guidelines for speed limit enforcement)

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/legal/speed-limit
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 19:44]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Speeding.. on 20:24 - Jul 17 with 1273 viewsPinewoodblue

Speeding.. on 19:20 - Jul 17 by bluelagos

There are plenty of roundabouts that 40 mph isn't even close to being an excessive speed. If you can see it's clear, good conditions and it's within the speed limit, why would you not do 40 mph? Especially coming off them onto a clear road / dual carriage way.

There is a temporary 50 mph limit on the Copdock R'bt which is crazy.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Speeding.. on 20:56 - Jul 17 with 1245 viewsshamboy

Speeding.. on 10:35 - Jul 17 by Marshalls_Mullet

There is no allowance.

In the eyes of the law, you should be doing 30 when you pass the 30 sign. Otherwise there is not point.

I think the only instance there is an allowance is with variable speed limit signs.

...but in practice the Police do not set up speed traps until a certain distance beyond the sign showing a lowering of speed limit, and equally do not set up on a downward incline.
Speeding.. on 21:55 - Jul 17 with 1223 viewsjonbull88

Speeding.. on 20:24 - Jul 17 by Pinewoodblue

There is a temporary 50 mph limit on the Copdock R'bt which is crazy.

The ironic thing is speeding most likely had a hand in the original accident.
Login to get fewer ads

Speeding.. on 06:54 - Jul 18 with 1152 viewsblueconscience

Speeding.. on 10:17 - Jul 17 by SWGF

A one minute allowance?! How would that work? You can belt through the village at 60mph as long as you're out the other side in 60 secs?

Edit: apologies WD19; seen you've made the same point
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 10:18]

I think the one minute allowance is only on the smart motorway cameras for when they change the limit, to avoid charging people who have already gone under the gantry before it changes.

Could be wrong though.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2019 6:55]

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024