Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly 18:02 - May 15 with 1709 viewsBlackboots

the season turned out, I’ve got low expectations of any player we sign from league two.

Norwood is 29 in September and has had one decent season in league two. I’ve not seen him play other than watching bits of the play off semi-finals when he looked decent at that level. I am not saying he’s no good, or that if we get him it will be a bad signing but whereas for many years I was questioning why the club didn’t buy more proven non-league and lower league players, last season showed me why it’s not as easy as it seems.

There are two big differences between this season and last. We are now a third division club so the step up is less than it was last season. We also have a more experienced manager.

Hopefully we will get the recruitment right and have a good season but what has happened over the past year has, for me, taken the gloss of us being linked with players who have not played at a level as high as the one we will be competing at next season.

Poll: Do you want George Burley as our next manager ?

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 18:11 - May 15 with 1672 viewspointofblue

The other difference is last year we brought in a number of lower level players and expected them to make a difference with very little out field experience around them at this level, excluding Chambers, Skuse and Sears. This season we have much more experience in the squad at this level or above which should make bedding in one or two lower league signings much easier.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 18:11 - May 15 with 1669 viewsHerbivore

Is being the best player in the league now only described as a "decent season"? 32 goals is merely "decent"? I wonder what an excellent season would have looked like.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 18:12 - May 15 with 1664 viewsSpruceMoose

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 18:11 - May 15 by Herbivore

Is being the best player in the league now only described as a "decent season"? 32 goals is merely "decent"? I wonder what an excellent season would have looked like.

33 goals. He was so close.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 18:14 - May 15 with 1648 viewsHerbivore

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 18:12 - May 15 by SpruceMoose

33 goals. He was so close.

Fine margins.

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 18:34 - May 15 with 1625 viewsBlackboots

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 18:11 - May 15 by Herbivore

Good point. “Decent” is understating the goals he scored. He’s had a great season. It’s only one season though and he’s nearly 29.

I want him to succeed and if he gets 15+ goals for us next season that will be great. Time will tell but a post I have just read was suggesting he’s pretty much guaranteed to score 20 goals next season. I’ll believe it when I see it.

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 18:58 - May 15 with 1590 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

100% agree.

Would usually be v excited by the Norwood news, but after last season I'm treating it cautiously.

As you say though, the step up is less severe. Also he'll have good players around him, and he's a natural goalscorer with a record to match. Harrison and Jackson don't have the records of natural goal scorers.

He's free, so my gut tells me this is a risk worth taking.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 19:03 - May 15 with 1561 viewschicoazul

You need to realise this is our market now.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 19:11 - May 15 with 1531 viewsSwansea_Blue

I think it’s fair to say he’s lacking an illustrious pedigree. We picked up Walters from lower league, but he’d started at the top and dropped down for game time. This fella has spent most of his career in the 5th tier. We’ve seen this season how hard it can be for players from lower leagues to adjust to a step up. Luckily it’s only a 1 league jump.

I’ll reserve judgement, but there are reasons to be optimistic and a few warning bells. Hopefully he’s a late developer and can carry on the form he’s had this season. He’s been finding the net for a few years now, so that’s a good sign. I hope he’s not phased by joining a bigger club (no offence to his past clubs, but we will be seen as a scalp in L1) and lots of expectation.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 19:21 - May 15 with 1515 viewsHerbivore

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 19:11 - May 15 by Swansea_Blue

I think it’s fair to say he’s lacking an illustrious pedigree. We picked up Walters from lower league, but he’d started at the top and dropped down for game time. This fella has spent most of his career in the 5th tier. We’ve seen this season how hard it can be for players from lower leagues to adjust to a step up. Luckily it’s only a 1 league jump.

I’ll reserve judgement, but there are reasons to be optimistic and a few warning bells. Hopefully he’s a late developer and can carry on the form he’s had this season. He’s been finding the net for a few years now, so that’s a good sign. I hope he’s not phased by joining a bigger club (no offence to his past clubs, but we will be seen as a scalp in L1) and lots of expectation.

I don't disagree with that, I just find it odd when people feel the need to claim someone has had a "decent season" when actually they've ripped the league up.

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 19:27 - May 15 with 1501 viewsKeaneish

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 19:11 - May 15 by Swansea_Blue

He made the step up into League 2 make look pretty easy and he’s been in double figures for 7 seasons in a row. I’m optimistic about this given the calibre he’ll be playing alongside now.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 19:41 - May 15 with 1469 viewsBlackboots

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 19:03 - May 15 by chicoazul

You need to realise this is our market now.

I am well aware of the market we’re in.

After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 21:01 - May 15 with 1401 viewssundaze

I don't see stepping up from league 2 to league 1, a huge step. Those Luton players seemed to handle it quite well.
After the optimism from all the new signings last summer and how badly on 21:19 - May 15 with 1375 viewsMrTown

There is no excuses from Lambert, we know our market, he'll know his positions, there are a lot of bowman frees out there this summer. No excuses come August.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024