Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reliance on Loan players 17:06 - Apr 14 with 1897 viewsTendring_Blue

I think one of the reasons we find ourselves where we are was our reliance on Loan "flair" players.

Looking back now during the MM years we never really kicked on and integrated our own players into the team after 14/15. The squad just seemed to be patched up here and there. I don't think that's purely down to money.

I think our transfer strategy was to short sighted, never looking beyond the end of the season. It ended in giving Hurst a massive rebuild job in the summer as the core of our squad had been allowed to rot. Obviously the departures of our two strikers left us with little to no quality at all.

George Burley had been warning about developing other people's players for some time. He had a point.

You could write a dissertation on why relegation happened but I think this is a big part of it.
Reliance on Loan players on 17:17 - Apr 14 with 1871 viewspositivity

tricky one, i agree with the general point, but mick was never going to buy flair players or promote our own, so the chance to see the likes of fraser, lawrence, celina, joniesta close up was a rare light in a bleak time.

however too often they've been little better than our own, this year only chalobah's really earned his place, too many players like elder, bree, quaner, graham, edun blocking the development of our players.

if we do anything next year, it has to be to address a missing piece in our squad (whether that's positional or experience). o'neill and evans both mention giving a run of games to our own young players and i want them to stick to this. no more mick-like dropping fringe players after one mistake, and bringing back favourites immediately no matter the performance of their replacements

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Reliance on Loan players on 17:24 - Apr 14 with 1851 viewsTendring_Blue

Reliance on Loan players on 17:17 - Apr 14 by positivity

tricky one, i agree with the general point, but mick was never going to buy flair players or promote our own, so the chance to see the likes of fraser, lawrence, celina, joniesta close up was a rare light in a bleak time.

however too often they've been little better than our own, this year only chalobah's really earned his place, too many players like elder, bree, quaner, graham, edun blocking the development of our players.

if we do anything next year, it has to be to address a missing piece in our squad (whether that's positional or experience). o'neill and evans both mention giving a run of games to our own young players and i want them to stick to this. no more mick-like dropping fringe players after one mistake, and bringing back favourites immediately no matter the performance of their replacements

Good points. Your point about "average" loans blocking our own players development is the key.

Fair enough get a Fraser or Lawrence in where you have a lack of quality in a certain position. Quality not quantity in a nutshell.
Reliance on Loan players on 17:28 - Apr 14 with 1833 viewsChurchman75

Reliance on Loan players on 17:24 - Apr 14 by Tendring_Blue

Good points. Your point about "average" loans blocking our own players development is the key.

Fair enough get a Fraser or Lawrence in where you have a lack of quality in a certain position. Quality not quantity in a nutshell.

Nail on the head

Poll: Attendance today as its community day and ticket offer..... SAR Upper is full..

Reliance on Loan players on 17:30 - Apr 14 with 1829 viewssparks

Reliance on Loan players on 17:28 - Apr 14 by Churchman75

Nail on the head

Indeed. Been saying it for years. Same goes for journeyman bosmans. The likes of Spence etc.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Reliance on Loan players on 17:33 - Apr 14 with 1808 viewsHorseboy

What if our own youth players are not up to standard for champ football? What if we don't have the funds to purchase a flair player to the standard required? Totally understand why we used the loan market, agree that there was to many, but without a Lawrence or cheaply purchased waghorn we would already been in league one.
Reliance on Loan players on 17:41 - Apr 14 with 1778 viewssparks

Reliance on Loan players on 17:33 - Apr 14 by Horseboy

What if our own youth players are not up to standard for champ football? What if we don't have the funds to purchase a flair player to the standard required? Totally understand why we used the loan market, agree that there was to many, but without a Lawrence or cheaply purchased waghorn we would already been in league one.

No issue with one or two players who add something extra
[Post edited 14 Apr 2019 17:41]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Reliance on Loan players on 18:03 - Apr 14 with 1727 viewsBasuco

Reliance on Loan players on 17:41 - Apr 14 by sparks

No issue with one or two players who add something extra
[Post edited 14 Apr 2019 17:41]

The big problem this year is that the loan players have cost us goals on far too many occasions.
Reliance on Loan players on 21:51 - Apr 14 with 1584 viewsGarv

The squad Hurst started with was turd. Celina, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, McGoldrick all gone. As Hurst pointed out, the Waghorn thing dragging on probably didn't help.

I think we struggled with attracting championship quality players, both because of money and our relatively unknown management team. What we failed to do as we always do, was to look abroad.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Reliance on Loan players on 07:47 - Apr 15 with 1473 viewsSteve_M

Reliance on Loan players on 21:51 - Apr 14 by Garv

The squad Hurst started with was turd. Celina, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, McGoldrick all gone. As Hurst pointed out, the Waghorn thing dragging on probably didn't help.

I think we struggled with attracting championship quality players, both because of money and our relatively unknown management team. What we failed to do as we always do, was to look abroad.

Turd. It was a lot feckign better than it was after he had had one transfer window and sold Webster, Garner and Waghorn. It needed reinforcements but, with that, was quite capable of surviving in this division.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Reliance on Loan players on 07:55 - Apr 15 with 1464 viewsSteve_M

I think we also have to take account of the division and accept it is much harder to build a squad in the way Burley did in the late 90s. Premier League clubs can afford to stockpile players so the likes of Jamie Clapham and Matt Holland might never have dropped down the divisions to play football as they did, and promising young players are snapped up much more quickly.

After 2014-15 we did seem to look at one season at a time but I'm not sure we were over-reliant on loans. One flair player as part of the core squad was fine although a few short-term contracts to bulk the squad up was more mixed. Bringing CCV in for Smith was less ideal although it did suggest that MM was leaving the replacement for the Summer when either he would have extended his contract or left.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Reliance on Loan players on 08:25 - Apr 15 with 1367 viewschristiand

We’ve been using plasters to cover the cracks for some time just so we do enough to stay in the league. What ME said about using the free transfer market might not be a bad thing. At least they’d be our players and there are one or two decent signings to be had if we do our research, look at Pukki up the road.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Reliance on Loan players on 08:27 - Apr 15 with 1356 viewschristiand

Reliance on Loan players on 17:24 - Apr 14 by Tendring_Blue

That was the problem for me with our January signings, just too many but not with ‘enough’ quality to really make the impact we needed to get us going. Sometimes less, is more!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Reliance on Loan players on 08:41 - Apr 15 with 1324 viewsBluebell

Reliance on Loan players on 07:47 - Apr 15 by Steve_M

Turd. It was a lot feckign better than it was after he had had one transfer window and sold Webster, Garner and Waghorn. It needed reinforcements but, with that, was quite capable of surviving in this division.

^This^

The team that McCarthy finished with (and ended 12th in the league) only needed a few tweaks. We all knew McGoldrik would leave but Waghorn, Garner and Webster wanted to stay, it was Hurst who couldn't fit them into his plans and needed the sale money.

Bringing in 12 players, mostly from League 1 and 2 is what killed this season. If we hadn't got Pennington and Chalobah, goodness knows what would have happened on the pitch.

Lambert has already said he didn't want to depend on loanees but had no choice in January.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024