Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... 10:13 - Apr 11 with 4545 viewsm14_blue

How have we allowed it to become such a massive deal and do such immense damage to our country and its people? I don't mean that as a dig at one side or the other, just at the process in general.

It's a fringe issue really, a squabble between two wings of the Tory Party that morphed into an argument between the Traditional Monied Elite (Brexit) and the 'new' establishment (Business, Parliament etc).

The EU was never a particularly big issue for anyone outside of a few UKIP loons and never featured very highly on concerns heading into elections. Bluntly, almost all of the populace neither knew nor cared about trade deals, customs unions, ECHR etc etc and it didn't impact their day to day life at all.

Yet we have allowed the media and a few politicians to whip up such a storm that families are divided, friendships ended, MP's getting death threats and usually sensible people are talking about TREASON and civil unrest. The whole thing is just mad.

We don't seem to be angry about children being murdered daily with no police left to stop it.
We don't take to the streets about the NHS being under unprecedented pressure, with cancer rates and A&E wait times moving in the wrong direction.
We don't talk about the fact that many crimes are no longer even investigated in the 5th richest country in the world.
We don't protest about our prison system nearing collapse.
We don't ring radio shows to loudly rant about the deterioration of the education system and ever worsening shortage of teachers.
We don't see many threads on here bemoaning the embarrassing lack of infrastructure and increased problems on our roads and rail (potholes anyone!).

We have somehow become all consumed with this fringe issue that no one cared about 5 years ago.

When you actually stop and think about it, it's absolutely bonkers.

I don't know how or why we've ended up at this point but I'd be very interested to hear CIL's views on it, particularly regarding the role of the media. Someone must be benefiting from this situation and it certainly isn't us.

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 15:34 - Apr 11 with 770 viewsNo9

"We don't seem to be angry about children being murdered daily with no police left to stop it.
We don't take to the streets about the NHS being under unprecedented pressure, with cancer rates and A&E wait times moving in the wrong direction.
We don't talk about the fact that many crimes are no longer even investigated in the 5th richest country in the world.
We don't protest about our prison system nearing collapse.
We don't ring radio shows to loudly rant about the deterioration of the education system and ever worsening shortage of teachers.
We don't see many threads on here bemoaning the embarrassing lack of infrastructure and increased problems on our roads and rail (potholes anyone!). "

This is a very important part of your post.
It is almost as if this government are using the mismanagement of the UK since 2010 as the need for brexit and brexit will mend all the ills.
Now the CoE seems to have awoken to the fact this is wrong they have no where to go so brexit MUST be the answer
Most sensible people can see it will get a lot worse
Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 19:20 - Apr 11 with 713 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:30 - Apr 11 by Swansea_Blue

It doesn't matter how well he spoke, he was spouting absolute nonsense about things that can't happen. Talking again about reopening negotiations on the Withdrawal Agreement, which has been explicitly and repeatedly ruled out. It's even in the text of the extension agreement:

"The European Council reiterates that there can be no opening of the Withdrawal Agreement, and that any unilateral commitment, statement or other act should be compatible with the letter and the spirit of the Withdrawal Agreement and must not hamper its implementation."

Sadly, people are still getting sucked in to the fantasies.

Here we go, another EU fanatic who hasn't a clue what the EU entails.

The EU is a deeply corrupt organisation which needs to be buried before it's totalitarian agenda is completed.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 19:35 - Apr 11 with 704 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Turns out that Brexit day is like London buses!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 19:54 - Apr 11 with 679 viewsNo9

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 19:20 - Apr 11 by The_Last_Baron

The EU is a deeply corrupt organisation which needs to be buried before it's totalitarian agenda is completed.

It is pretty obvious you are the one without a clue as to what the EU is about.

As for your allegation do you have any evidence to support it?
Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 19:55 - Apr 11 with 676 viewsSwansea_Blue

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 19:20 - Apr 11 by The_Last_Baron

Demonstrating the OP’s point perfectly. You haven’t the first clue of my experiences with EU organisations, yet are quite happy to steam in and play them man not the ball. This is what Brexit has reduced us to, its very sad.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 06:12 - Apr 12 with 598 viewspeterleeblue

This is my simplistic view.
You are right it was not top of everyone's thought process.
48% voted to remain as is probably because it mattered not a jot to them and did not want their lives affected.
52% Voted for a variety of "reasons" to leave the EU - Unfortunately mainly lies.
Despite the fact that they were lies a vast majority of the 52% now feel betrayed and the divisions between the Remainer's and the Leavers deepen.
I agreed we really need to get back to more basic issues.

BBC Breakfast did a feature with a Wallpaper business in Blackburn yesterday. The Chief Exec wanted this sorting so his business could plan and continue to reinvest in its future. Two (very level headed ) workers who voted leave were still championing their cause and lamenting the betrayal yet their very employer had an uncertain future. Turkeys voting for Christmas springs to mind and this is harsh and an insult to the intelligence of those workers. It does highlight though how many simply have not thought it through.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024