Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
People’s vote! 09:57 - Mar 24 with 5017 viewsbluejacko

A lot has been made of how Countries,regions etc voted in the referendum,am I to understand that for a people’s vote it would not matter what country you came from it would be an individuals vote that got counted UK wide?
Still been there haven’t we?
People’s vote! on 14:53 - Mar 24 with 1134 viewsDarth_Koont

People’s vote! on 14:48 - Mar 24 by J2BLUE

Your answers are vague. I'm looking for detail. How do we respect all home nations? All have an equal say and a veto?

You said earlier that outside the EU there is no benefit for Scotland and you might as well leave. Is leaving something the Scots will play on forever more to try and get what they want and if a big decision goes against you you'll just leave.

It seems you want it all ways.

"It seems you want it all ways." Well, that's been borne out by history hasn't it?

I think you and others have to start respecting the home nations. That's my point.

You seem to think this is about getting stuff unfairly rather than having basic citizens' rights respected and represented by the UK government.

Pronouns: He/Him

People’s vote! on 14:57 - Mar 24 with 1112 viewsJ2BLUE

People’s vote! on 14:53 - Mar 24 by Darth_Koont

"It seems you want it all ways." Well, that's been borne out by history hasn't it?

I think you and others have to start respecting the home nations. That's my point.

You seem to think this is about getting stuff unfairly rather than having basic citizens' rights respected and represented by the UK government.

I do respect them. Your answer to my question seems to be that each home nation should have an equal say and a veto. That's your opinion (I think) and you're welcome to it. I just can't agree with that when the populations are so vastly different.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

People’s vote! on 15:01 - Mar 24 with 1104 viewsDarth_Koont

People’s vote! on 14:57 - Mar 24 by J2BLUE

I do respect them. Your answer to my question seems to be that each home nation should have an equal say and a veto. That's your opinion (I think) and you're welcome to it. I just can't agree with that when the populations are so vastly different.

No, because I don't think an equal say is right. A say would be good and not just in terms of Brexit but that starts from a basic understanding that there are huge swathes of the population (not just in the different home nations) who need better representation as a whole.

These needs are ignored because people dismiss it as nationalism or wanting to dictate terms to others.

People’s vote! on 15:03 - Mar 24 with 1098 viewsJ2BLUE

People’s vote! on 15:01 - Mar 24 by Darth_Koont

No, because I don't think an equal say is right. A say would be good and not just in terms of Brexit but that starts from a basic understanding that there are huge swathes of the population (not just in the different home nations) who need better representation as a whole.

These needs are ignored because people dismiss it as nationalism or wanting to dictate terms to others.

Agree with that. The Northern Powerhouse idea should have absolutely been followed through.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

People’s vote! on 15:06 - Mar 24 with 1095 viewsDarth_Koont

People’s vote! on 15:03 - Mar 24 by J2BLUE

Agree with that. The Northern Powerhouse idea should have absolutely been followed through.

Indeed. But the reason it wasn't highlights what the home nations have to contend with — a complete and utter lack of political will in Westminster to look out for our citizens and invest in their future.

People’s vote! on 15:08 - Mar 24 with 1086 viewsWeWereZombies

People’s vote! on 13:40 - Mar 24 by Leaky

There's probably more Scots live in England than live in Scotland.

But once someone of Scottish birth decides to live the rest of their life in England, either for work related or romantic reasons (or perhaps, and this applies to Ireland too, for avoiding having the choice between Guinness and Tennents only reasons) are they still a Scot? And if someone born in England decides to live out their final years in Scotland, because it still has some scenery left and you can enjoy it accompanied by a belting wind plus a steady downpour, do they count as a Scot?

I get round it by saying I identify as British but plenty of the other former English I know, and I sometimes wonder if we now outnumber 'true' Scots, have gone full SNP and sport Yes/Aye stickers and saltires at every opportunity. I could do that but I have learnt so much about these islands since I made the move five and a half years ago that I prefer to uphold the British viewpoint and walk a two-way street. There might be more people in south-east England than everywhere else now but it was not always the case (Linda Dunlop's book 'Acts of Union and Disunion' asserts that a couple of hundred years or so ago the population of England was equal to the combined populations of Ireland, Scotland and Wales) and I have come to see that there is a tragic misunderstanding of the basis of our union in many people.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

People’s vote! on 15:21 - Mar 24 with 1064 viewsLeaky

People’s vote! on 15:08 - Mar 24 by WeWereZombies

But once someone of Scottish birth decides to live the rest of their life in England, either for work related or romantic reasons (or perhaps, and this applies to Ireland too, for avoiding having the choice between Guinness and Tennents only reasons) are they still a Scot? And if someone born in England decides to live out their final years in Scotland, because it still has some scenery left and you can enjoy it accompanied by a belting wind plus a steady downpour, do they count as a Scot?

I get round it by saying I identify as British but plenty of the other former English I know, and I sometimes wonder if we now outnumber 'true' Scots, have gone full SNP and sport Yes/Aye stickers and saltires at every opportunity. I could do that but I have learnt so much about these islands since I made the move five and a half years ago that I prefer to uphold the British viewpoint and walk a two-way street. There might be more people in south-east England than everywhere else now but it was not always the case (Linda Dunlop's book 'Acts of Union and Disunion' asserts that a couple of hundred years or so ago the population of England was equal to the combined populations of Ireland, Scotland and Wales) and I have come to see that there is a tragic misunderstanding of the basis of our union in many people.

I to have friends who made the move North. Strangely enough they had the opportunity to vote in the Independence referendum, While a Scottish neighbour of mine serving in the RAF and posted to rural Cambridgeshire, was not allowed to vote. Strange guess its down to your post code
People’s vote! on 15:25 - Mar 24 with 1057 viewsWeWereZombies

People’s vote! on 15:21 - Mar 24 by Leaky

I to have friends who made the move North. Strangely enough they had the opportunity to vote in the Independence referendum, While a Scottish neighbour of mine serving in the RAF and posted to rural Cambridgeshire, was not allowed to vote. Strange guess its down to your post code

No, it is where you register to vote. I was already paying council tax to Highland so in true 'no taxation without representation' mode I got onto the electoral register in Highland and voted in the Independence Referendum as well.

Login to get fewer ads

People’s vote! on 15:40 - Mar 24 with 1041 viewsPinewoodblue

London voted to remain, most of the rest of England voted to leave if you want to be fair what do you do. Just where do you draw the line?

With regards to Scotland consider this scenario. We hold a second referendum and 52% vote remain. Scotland gets a second referendum on independence and the majority want to leave UK but remain in Europe.

Someone does the math and realises if you ignore the Scottish vote on Brexit a majority in the rest of the UK was for leave. Do we get another Brexit vote.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

People’s vote! on 15:44 - Mar 24 with 1037 viewsWeWereZombies

People’s vote! on 15:40 - Mar 24 by Pinewoodblue

London voted to remain, most of the rest of England voted to leave if you want to be fair what do you do. Just where do you draw the line?

With regards to Scotland consider this scenario. We hold a second referendum and 52% vote remain. Scotland gets a second referendum on independence and the majority want to leave UK but remain in Europe.

Someone does the math and realises if you ignore the Scottish vote on Brexit a majority in the rest of the UK was for leave. Do we get another Brexit vote.

But that is an unlikely scenario isn't it? It is more likely to be 70% to Remain across the board now.

People’s vote! on 15:46 - Mar 24 with 1035 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

People’s vote! on 15:44 - Mar 24 by WeWereZombies

But that is an unlikely scenario isn't it? It is more likely to be 70% to Remain across the board now.

Another 10 per cent in a week....incredible Jeff.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

People’s vote! on 15:48 - Mar 24 with 1034 viewsbluejacko

People’s vote! on 15:44 - Mar 24 by WeWereZombies

Really how do come up with that? You have no idea how it would go!
As always the silent majority actually make the difference. No one I know has changed their opinion one way or the other. Still if some polls say that’s right I suppose it’s game set and match then.
People’s vote! on 15:52 - Mar 24 with 1029 viewsWeWereZombies

People’s vote! on 15:48 - Mar 24 by bluejacko

Really how do come up with that? You have no idea how it would go!
As always the silent majority actually make the difference. No one I know has changed their opinion one way or the other. Still if some polls say that’s right I suppose it’s game set and match then.

I'm just rattling cages for the fun of it, to be honest. As you say - no one knows. So a second referendum is the only cogent way out.

People’s vote! on 15:57 - Mar 24 with 1021 viewsPecker

People’s vote! on 12:40 - Mar 24 by J2BLUE

Yes it's UK wide. Sadly for Scotland it's a reality of being less than 1/10th of the entire UK population. Is it fair? No but it's even more unfair for 5m people to decide the fate of a 64m people nation just because they are a separate country within the union.

Sturgeon thinks it's unfair that Scotland are being dragged along with the rest of the UK but she openly admits she asked Cameron to set the referendum rules so that any individual country could veto the result. She knew Scotland were for remain so she was arguing to make the vote meaningless which is apparently ok because Scotland gets what they want.

They want to be independent, yet want us to pay for it. They want to be independent, yet still want us to pay for free uni fees etc. If they want our money, they cannot be independent.
People’s vote! on 16:07 - Mar 24 with 1004 viewsWeWereZombies

People’s vote! on 15:57 - Mar 24 by Pecker

They want to be independent, yet want us to pay for it. They want to be independent, yet still want us to pay for free uni fees etc. If they want our money, they cannot be independent.

It may have passed you by but the 2014 Independence referendum decided that Scotland stays in the United Kingdom, so we do not all want independence. Whether Scotland relies on England economically or vice versa is a vexed question which none of us know for sure and it is unwise to put forward a judgement without sound figures to back you up.

But yes, no economic penalty for students who want to go to university, no charge for bus or coach travel for the over 60s, no charge for hearing aids, an NHS that is fully committed and space to breathe. Actually, I am going to keep quiet about la belle Ecosse now.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024