Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Prophecy of Zed 09:12 - Mar 22 with 3436 viewsZedRodgers

Option 1:

May's deal isn't brought back. People (including the press for some reason) seem to be pretending the Bercow thing didn't happen.

12th April approaches. HoC start arguing about EU elections and a further extension, but the house fails in attempting to bring the length of the potential further extension request out of May's hands and in parliament's control.

Revocation gains traction. W/C 8th April becomes a stare down between no deal or revocation due to May's refusal to face reality with the longer extension (making it too conditional or centring it around her deal). The 450 MPs who voted to remain do away with their 'respect the result of the referendum' when faced with the question of revoke or no deal. The petition by this point has reached many millions and has given those 450 MPs the confidence to go with it.

HoC votes to revoke Article 50. A night of celebration and bitterness. Deranged gloating and complaining by people on both sides. May resigns after unmitigated failure at every promise she made. General Election.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option 2:

May's deal is brought back. Either via a meaningful (lol) tweak to the WA or through some kind of parliamentary decision to go against the convention Bercow set out. Deal is either voted down or amended to include a people's vote.

If voted down, see second paragraph of Option 1.

If amended to include people's vote, the nation choose to remain over May's deal. The same deranged gloating and complaining follows.

Disclaimer: Two weeks ago, I would not have expected or even wanted Brexit to be abruptly cancelled in a way which opened a can of worms. The course that May has taken and the absolute state of her speech has resulted in a change in the wind. The can of worms is now a justifiable consequence - A can that both a majority of the public and HoC are prepared to open (in my opinion).

No, not at the moment

Prophecy of Zed on 12:56 - Mar 22 with 654 viewsSpruceMoose

Prophecy of Zed on 11:52 - Mar 22 by Oldsmoker

Yes Geoff there could be some disorder.
Farages Leave march from Sunderland (50 odd people) compared to Saturdays Peopls vote protest might give an indication of how much.
The Leave voters I know simply don't care anymore and they would argue in the pubs and on social media but not "take to the streets".

Let them take to the streets in protest. That's their right. If they step outside the boundaries of the law, well, that's nothing a few rounds of rubber bullets won't take care of.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Prophecy of Zed on 13:12 - Mar 22 with 626 viewsgiant_stow

Prophecy of Zed on 11:29 - Mar 22 by ZedRodgers

Sorry giant_ullaa, I was mowing my lawn.

In reality it would just need to go through the Commons and Lords. It almost certainly would.

Royal assent is the final stage of the process but that hasn't blocked anything for about 300 years.

No need to apologise mr!

I guess I'm just partly wondering if May will actually use or want the extension
[Post edited 22 Mar 2019 13:25]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Prophecy of Zed on 13:23 - Mar 22 with 616 viewsZedRodgers

Prophecy of Zed on 12:42 - Mar 22 by xrayspecs

The seats the UK are giving up in the EP have been allocated to other countries. EP need to know if we are holding elections or not. We cannot catch up later.

We can.

If would take a protocol being agreed by the EU to allow us to do so, but we could hold catch up elections at some point in the future if we extend beyond May and end up deciding to remain.

The CJEU’s UK Advocate General at the CJEU has already suggested this could be done by extending the mandate of our current MEPs, or by allowing us to to send national MPs to sit as MEPs until the catch up elections.

A document from the EU a couple of weeks back set out that a treaty change would be needed for us to have an extension without EP elections in April/May. Now that aren’t leaving on 29th March it would be possible to do this, but things would need to move fast for EU member state ratification to be possible. May wasting time banging on about her deal for the next few days makes this nearly impossible, which is why I didn’t include it in my prophecy, but it is technically possible.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8496

No, not at the moment

Prophecy of Zed on 13:56 - Mar 22 with 589 viewsxrayspecs

Prophecy of Zed on 13:23 - Mar 22 by ZedRodgers

We can.

If would take a protocol being agreed by the EU to allow us to do so, but we could hold catch up elections at some point in the future if we extend beyond May and end up deciding to remain.

The CJEU’s UK Advocate General at the CJEU has already suggested this could be done by extending the mandate of our current MEPs, or by allowing us to to send national MPs to sit as MEPs until the catch up elections.

A document from the EU a couple of weeks back set out that a treaty change would be needed for us to have an extension without EP elections in April/May. Now that aren’t leaving on 29th March it would be possible to do this, but things would need to move fast for EU member state ratification to be possible. May wasting time banging on about her deal for the next few days makes this nearly impossible, which is why I didn’t include it in my prophecy, but it is technically possible.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8496

Technically possible yes, but politically? EP would have to take back seats promised to other countries.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024