Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
About that middle class..... 07:25 - Sep 13 with 8400 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45506322

.......still dying? Property values next......here's hoping!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

About that middle class..... on 09:20 - Sep 13 with 3118 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

About that middle class..... on 09:15 - Sep 13 by Leaky

So you want every thing to fail so you can you glorify in the fact you told us all it was going to happen. Happy soul aren't you.

That is your perception and has no bearing in fact! In fact you could not be further from the truth!

Edit....I would not lose sleep over property values falling though and neither should anyone who has bought because they want to live there.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 9:23]

About that middle class..... on 09:21 - Sep 13 with 3118 viewslowhouseblue

About that middle class..... on 09:14 - Sep 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

Re the link I imagine you would need per capita, inflation adjusted figures and weighting for which income groups are spending what!
Do you have any evidence of an expanding middle class in developed economies?
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 9:14]

we'd first need to agree on a definition - and I can't see that happening.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About that middle class..... on 09:26 - Sep 13 with 3103 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

About that middle class..... on 09:21 - Sep 13 by lowhouseblue

we'd first need to agree on a definition - and I can't see that happening.

As near to a 'no' as I could expect I suppose.

Edit......any thoughts lurking Glasgow?
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 9:27]

About that middle class..... on 09:27 - Sep 13 with 3102 viewsGromheort

About that middle class..... on 09:14 - Sep 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

Re the link I imagine you would need per capita, inflation adjusted figures and weighting for which income groups are spending what!
Do you have any evidence of an expanding middle class in developed economies?
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 9:14]

Retail spending "fell off the cliff" earlier in the year. There's been some evidence of a correction. Other than the increase in spending because of the glorious summer, some one off purchases were perhaps put off as folk shopped for bargain.

There are certainly issues with the income distribution. From teachers getting the 2nd largest pay drop in the developed world to record use of food banks, the squeeze continues...
About that middle class..... on 09:30 - Sep 13 with 3097 viewsLeaky

About that middle class..... on 09:20 - Sep 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

That is your perception and has no bearing in fact! In fact you could not be further from the truth!

Edit....I would not lose sleep over property values falling though and neither should anyone who has bought because they want to live there.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 9:23]

I probably have a lot in common with you am mortgage free no loans or credit card debt
About that middle class..... on 09:45 - Sep 13 with 3064 viewslowhouseblue

About that middle class..... on 09:27 - Sep 13 by Gromheort

Retail spending "fell off the cliff" earlier in the year. There's been some evidence of a correction. Other than the increase in spending because of the glorious summer, some one off purchases were perhaps put off as folk shopped for bargain.

There are certainly issues with the income distribution. From teachers getting the 2nd largest pay drop in the developed world to record use of food banks, the squeeze continues...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade/retailindustry/bulletins/retails

retail sales in the 3 months to end of july were 5.8% higher than in the same 3 months in 2017. that doesn't suggest much 'falling from a cliff' during the course of the 12 months.

the data doesn't show your crisis of capitalism - it shows that online buying has reached a record level.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About that middle class..... on 09:46 - Sep 13 with 3061 viewsNo9

About that middle class..... on 07:42 - Sep 13 by Steve_M

Ah yes, the collapse of what's left of the British high street will be a boon to all.

Not sure I follow that
When the high street finally collapses, which can't be far away what will we be left with?
Crap shops selling crap?
About that middle class..... on 09:48 - Sep 13 with 3053 viewsGlasgowBlue

About that middle class..... on 09:15 - Sep 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

Lol.....constructive and a little obsessive stalking like as ever!
Oh no what shall I do Glasgow has called me 'plastic' again!
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 9:18]

Replying to Lowhouse’ post which points out the flaw in your argument is obsessive?

I seem to have hit a nerve the other day.

And the term I used was correct .

Edit. Thanks for the two mentions in this thread btw. Now who is the obsessive?
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 9:50]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

About that middle class..... on 09:50 - Sep 13 with 3041 viewsGromheort

About that middle class..... on 09:45 - Sep 13 by lowhouseblue

https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade/retailindustry/bulletins/retails

retail sales in the 3 months to end of july were 5.8% higher than in the same 3 months in 2017. that doesn't suggest much 'falling from a cliff' during the course of the 12 months.

the data doesn't show your crisis of capitalism - it shows that online buying has reached a record level.

Cliff? Not my words. Its derived from: "The British Retail Consortium (BRC) said like-for-like sales, which strip out the effect of new store openings, fell by 4.2% compared with April 2017".

And of course there will be a bounce back (especially with the impact of the Summer), as I've already mentioned.
About that middle class..... on 09:53 - Sep 13 with 3032 viewsNo9

About that middle class..... on 09:45 - Sep 13 by lowhouseblue

According to the analysts the increase was due - almost entirely- to hot waether encouraging people to snack outside cafe's & the world cup.
Doesn't sound much like a revival does it?
About that middle class..... on 09:55 - Sep 13 with 3029 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

About that middle class..... on 08:25 - Sep 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

It seems you are interpretting observation for glee....along with the down voters (Glasgow just thinks I am jealous...lol). Think of it as the trickle up of the debt crisis!

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/06/debt-elephant-middle-class-sitting-room/
https://www.caseyresearch.com/the-long-death-of-americas-middle-class-2/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robasghar/2014/12/16/the-coming-death-of-the-middle
....there is plenty more if you chose/want to see it !
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 8:28]

yesterdays news inbox breakfast

AVERAGE WAGE for an employee 10YRS AGO £24,000

NOW £23,700

- IT SHOULD BE WITH INFLATION £27,000

Yet Im sure costs - have gone up year on year - and petrol - electric have gone through the roof!

Thank god for the internet - and price match.
About that middle class..... on 10:04 - Sep 13 with 3009 viewsCoachRob

So nice to see Post-Keynesian views being stated by Mr Carney and Gordon Brown. The neo-classicals are finally waking up to the total failure of their branch of economics to answer macroeconomic questions. Thomas Piketty wrote a brilliant book on distribution of wealth and income and how the current economic system will tend towards extremes.
On Bankster's main point of property prices - London has to be a major concern and there are real concerns with interest only mortgages. The quants at banks need looking at as to how their are pricing risk and once again credit rating agencies seem to a law to themselves.
About that middle class..... on 10:08 - Sep 13 with 3003 viewsGromheort

About that middle class..... on 10:04 - Sep 13 by CoachRob

So nice to see Post-Keynesian views being stated by Mr Carney and Gordon Brown. The neo-classicals are finally waking up to the total failure of their branch of economics to answer macroeconomic questions. Thomas Piketty wrote a brilliant book on distribution of wealth and income and how the current economic system will tend towards extremes.
On Bankster's main point of property prices - London has to be a major concern and there are real concerns with interest only mortgages. The quants at banks need looking at as to how their are pricing risk and once again credit rating agencies seem to a law to themselves.

What post-Keynesian views are they then? I don't see much shift from the standard 'lets tinkle with interest rates and pretend we're on the case'
About that middle class..... on 10:13 - Sep 13 with 2994 viewsNo9

Do you really think the day of the Chicago theory, school of economic theories is dead?

It has createdmany problems but with right wing government heading th Anglo Saxon world do you think anything is going to change before the next crash?
About that middle class..... on 10:15 - Sep 13 with 2985 viewsGromheort

About that middle class..... on 10:13 - Sep 13 by No9

Do you really think the day of the Chicago theory, school of economic theories is dead?

It has createdmany problems but with right wing government heading th Anglo Saxon world do you think anything is going to change before the next crash?

The Chicago School doesn't drive modern economics. That is certainly becoming more pluralist, such as increased influence of the real world economics global movement.

The Chicago School's role is sidelined to very specific issues (e.g. its still used as the mainstay for analysis into discrimination and the economic approach to criminology)
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 10:16]
About that middle class..... on 10:30 - Sep 13 with 2970 viewslowhouseblue

About that middle class..... on 09:50 - Sep 13 by Gromheort

Cliff? Not my words. Its derived from: "The British Retail Consortium (BRC) said like-for-like sales, which strip out the effect of new store openings, fell by 4.2% compared with April 2017".

And of course there will be a bounce back (especially with the impact of the Summer), as I've already mentioned.

but it rose by 5.8% over the year.

About that middle class..... on 10:33 - Sep 13 with 2968 viewsNo9

About that middle class..... on 10:15 - Sep 13 by Gromheort

The Chicago School doesn't drive modern economics. That is certainly becoming more pluralist, such as increased influence of the real world economics global movement.

The Chicago School's role is sidelined to very specific issues (e.g. its still used as the mainstay for analysis into discrimination and the economic approach to criminology)
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 10:16]

Do you really think no one anymore takes notice of what Milton Friedman put on the world?
About that middle class..... on 10:35 - Sep 13 with 2962 viewsNo9

About that middle class..... on 10:30 - Sep 13 by lowhouseblue

but it rose by 5.8% over the year.

Based on price or volume?
Food included?
About that middle class..... on 10:38 - Sep 13 with 2962 viewsBlueBadger

About that middle class..... on 07:48 - Sep 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

It's a reference to cause not affect (although the property angle would be welcome). The Emperor has no clothes !

Have you just left a chat bot in charge of your account now? Because that makes literally no sense.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 10:43]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About that middle class..... on 10:47 - Sep 13 with 2945 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

About that middle class..... on 09:30 - Sep 13 by Leaky

I probably have a lot in common with you am mortgage free no loans or credit card debt

......and hopefully, also like me, you are a happy soul too !

About that middle class..... on 10:51 - Sep 13 with 2939 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

About that middle class..... on 09:48 - Sep 13 by GlasgowBlue

Replying to Lowhouse’ post which points out the flaw in your argument is obsessive?

I seem to have hit a nerve the other day.

And the term I used was correct .

Edit. Thanks for the two mentions in this thread btw. Now who is the obsessive?
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 9:50]

Your post, like as it turned out Lowhouse's, didn't point out anything though did it butbat least he tried to add something.
What is this nerve thay you like to imagine you have hit?

About that middle class..... on 10:51 - Sep 13 with 2937 viewsCoachRob

About that middle class..... on 10:08 - Sep 13 by Gromheort

What post-Keynesian views are they then? I don't see much shift from the standard 'lets tinkle with interest rates and pretend we're on the case'

The acknowledgement the debt plays a role in the economy. Neo-classicals believe banks are intermediaries who push money around the system, they don't create money and money, banks and debt play no role in output.
Carney has come out in support of the Post-Keynesian view on how banks operate and Brown is finally acknowledging that asset bubbles created by change in credit growth is a concern in the economy. Something neither would have admitted 10 years ago.
The Barro-Gordon model used as evidence to support independent central banks is to blame for the charade that central banks have become.
About that middle class..... on 10:55 - Sep 13 with 2935 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Thankfully some on here can see through there own blinkered perceptions and their fictitious views on the motives of others!

About that middle class..... on 10:59 - Sep 13 with 2930 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

About that middle class..... on 10:38 - Sep 13 by BlueBadger

Have you just left a chat bot in charge of your account now? Because that makes literally no sense.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 10:43]

.....less disposable income= declining profit for shop selling over priced crap, does that help. Sorry if I upset you by alluding to your propensity for virtue signalling yesterday if your comment is a 'hurt' response to that .

About that middle class..... on 11:02 - Sep 13 with 2918 viewspowinswitch

About that middle class..... on 07:53 - Sep 13 by Bluefish

Surely the middle class should be celebrated? It confuses me to see a desire to make everyone equally poor, shouldn't everyone be equally middle?

In a very well known Regimental gymnasium about 6 years ago read a simple ‘you can’t make the weak strong, by making the strong weaker’.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024