Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Runners 15:55 - Aug 13 with 4381 viewshype313

I decided about a month ago to get my lard ass of the couch and start running, so far I'm halfway through the couch25k and it's going well, however I'm wearing a standard pair of old knackered trainers, should I seriously invest some proper running shoes ? (they seem very expensive!)

Its early days but I want to get up to 10k by next March (my 40th) and I want to give myself the best possible chance, by not ruining myself.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Runners on 15:58 - Aug 13 with 3584 viewshomer_123

Advice? Run Forest Run!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Runners on 16:00 - Aug 13 with 3577 viewsjeera

I opened this thinking it was about green beans.

I'll leave quietly.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Runners on 16:02 - Aug 13 with 3576 viewsusm

I started just over a year ago, initially with C25K and then Parkrun. I also joined a local social running club as I did not like running alone. Nowadays I try to run 2/3 times each week and have done several 10Ks, as well as Parkrun most saturdays.

Decent running trainers are worth it - quite expensive, but shop around. I also now have running "undergear", socks, hats, gloves etc.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Runners on 16:02 - Aug 13 with 3575 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I did my first Manchester 10k back in 2012 and bought these;

https://www.nikefreeshoes.org/mens-nike-free-run-2-trainer-blueblackyellow-44381

The sole is very light and flexible, very, very comfortable running shoe and improved my performance.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Runners on 16:03 - Aug 13 with 3566 viewsSingBlue

I run fairly frequently and the only bit of advice I give any newbies is invest in good shoes. Preferably go to runners world or something along those lines and get them to video you running, so you get the correct brand, as they all have different strengths. It will lessen the chance of strains etc
Runners on 16:05 - Aug 13 with 3559 viewshype313

Runners on 16:02 - Aug 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

I did my first Manchester 10k back in 2012 and bought these;

https://www.nikefreeshoes.org/mens-nike-free-run-2-trainer-blueblackyellow-44381

The sole is very light and flexible, very, very comfortable running shoe and improved my performance.

Cheers, I'll give them a look.

I've given myself a goal of doing the Woddbridge 10k next year, might have to start looking at a few hills in the coming months mind..

Runners on 16:05 - Aug 13 with 3554 viewsartsbossbeard

Decent trainers are a must.

Freeport Braintree has ASICS, Nike and Adidas outlets so you can save a fair amount. If you've not had your gait analysed, go for a jog and monitor where your foot lands as you can get trainers specifically to support ball, heel or mid zone. Also wider fit options too.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Runners on 16:06 - Aug 13 with 3547 viewshype313

Runners on 16:03 - Aug 13 by SingBlue

I run fairly frequently and the only bit of advice I give any newbies is invest in good shoes. Preferably go to runners world or something along those lines and get them to video you running, so you get the correct brand, as they all have different strengths. It will lessen the chance of strains etc

Cheers, I've read a little bit up on different trainers, I'm probably not at the stage where I need light soles for speed quite yet...so I should imagine I need some with decent cushioning.

Login to get fewer ads

Runners on 16:06 - Aug 13 with 3547 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Runners on 16:05 - Aug 13 by hype313

I've given myself a goal of doing the Woddbridge 10k next year, might have to start looking at a few hills in the coming months mind..

I'm no expert, just enter the occasional 10k to keep fit.

They worked for me though, might not work for others. I did have some expensive Asics running shoes, but they were a bit heavy, the Nike ones were far better.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Runners on 16:06 - Aug 13 with 3553 viewsitfcjoe

I'd treat yourself - you don't need to go too expensive although Coes does it well.

If you want to go a bit cheaper, I just went to Asics at Braintree Freeport and got measured there and bought a paid for about £50 which have been really good.

You'll easily get up to £10k by then, there is a couple of Bridge to 10k apps which build on C25k and take about 5-6 weeks.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Runners on 16:07 - Aug 13 with 3533 viewshype313

Runners on 16:05 - Aug 13 by artsbossbeard

Decent trainers are a must.

Freeport Braintree has ASICS, Nike and Adidas outlets so you can save a fair amount. If you've not had your gait analysed, go for a jog and monitor where your foot lands as you can get trainers specifically to support ball, heel or mid zone. Also wider fit options too.

Cheers Bossers, do you know if Coes do something like this in their sport dept?

Runners on 16:08 - Aug 13 with 3528 viewsitfcjoe

Runners on 16:05 - Aug 13 by hype313

That's a bloody hard one - I did it this year and so hilly!

Get involved in Park Runs if you can, they really help

Runners on 16:08 - Aug 13 with 3522 viewsartsbossbeard

Runners on 16:07 - Aug 13 by hype313

Cheers Bossers, do you know if Coes do something like this in their sport dept?

They do indeed.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Runners on 16:10 - Aug 13 with 3502 viewshype313

Runners on 16:06 - Aug 13 by itfcjoe

I'd treat yourself - you don't need to go too expensive although Coes does it well.

If you want to go a bit cheaper, I just went to Asics at Braintree Freeport and got measured there and bought a paid for about £50 which have been really good.

You'll easily get up to £10k by then, there is a couple of Bridge to 10k apps which build on C25k and take about 5-6 weeks.

Yep, the plan is to tackle the C25k and then find a 5-10k app, finding the app really helps.

I was looking at joining a running club, but I can barely breath let alone chew the fat whilst running, also I can only really go first thing in the morning as I have two youngsters as you know, so I' prefer to get it done early doors and not have it hanging over me all day.

Runners on 16:11 - Aug 13 with 3494 viewshype313

Runners on 16:08 - Aug 13 by itfcjoe

That's a bloody hard one - I did it this year and so hilly!

Get involved in Park Runs if you can, they really help

Yeah drybridge hill looks nasty, horrendous gradient but also long winded, but I'm determined to give it a go.

Well done for doing it, quite an achievement.

Runners on 16:13 - Aug 13 with 3482 viewsitfcjoe

Runners on 16:10 - Aug 13 by hype313

Yep, the plan is to tackle the C25k and then find a 5-10k app, finding the app really helps.

I was looking at joining a running club, but I can barely breath let alone chew the fat whilst running, also I can only really go first thing in the morning as I have two youngsters as you know, so I' prefer to get it done early doors and not have it hanging over me all day.

I have joined Jaffa, I haven't been for a while but when I was training properly for my half it is really good.

On the track sessions you don't chat anyway, and it's a really good encouraging environment and not at all judgey - and costs next to nothing.

if you want any more info give me a shout - I'll try and start going again soon

Runners on 16:14 - Aug 13 with 3476 viewsIpswichKnight

Yes you should invest in some decent running shoes, get yourself down to somewhere like Sweatshop they will help you find the right pair of running shoes for your running style.

I am in the process of getting properly fit for start of hockey season so might try and to the woodbridge or Alton Water 10k next year ( I was going to do the Alton Water 3 years ago but busted my ankle 2 weeks before and spent the next 3 months not being able to run at all! )
Runners on 16:15 - Aug 13 with 3466 viewshype313

Runners on 16:13 - Aug 13 by itfcjoe

I have joined Jaffa, I haven't been for a while but when I was training properly for my half it is really good.

On the track sessions you don't chat anyway, and it's a really good encouraging environment and not at all judgey - and costs next to nothing.

if you want any more info give me a shout - I'll try and start going again soon

Cheers Joe, I've found myself a nice little route through near me down Rushmere Road and past the training ground on a bit of a loop.

Runners on 16:41 - Aug 13 with 3369 viewshorsehollerer

Yes. Proper running shoes are essential, whatever level you are at. As you gradually add more distance, you will almost certainly pick up injuries (knees, hips, back, lower leg, ankles) without proper shoes.

As for which ones are right for you, you first need to figure out how your foot hits the ground (your pronation). In general, if your soles tend to wear out quickest and most on the inside of your feet, you over-pronate, but if the wear is more on the outside, you under-pronate. This is really important because it affects the amount of stress you are putting on all your joints and muscles, including back, hips, knees, calves, shins, tendons... you name it. Manufacturers makes shoes for all pronation types, so make sure you get the right type for your running action.

Different running shoes also offer varying levels of support (for balance) and cushion (for comfort/stress reduction). A simple test is to stand on one leg without shoes. If you find this very easy, then you don't need much support. If you're swaying around a bit, then you need a bit more structure in your shoes. In general, beginners should go for shoes with good support. While this adds a little more weight to the shoe, it's worth it. Same for cushion.

Best thing to do is to find a store with a treadmill and knowledgeable staff so they can assess your running gait. But if not, check out some manufacturers that allow you to filter their products by pronation, support, cushion, etc, so you know you're in the right zone. You can always look for the same shoes elsewhere for a cheaper price.

I've been mainly running in Brooks shoes for 10 years now. Their site is great for figuring out which ones might be the best for you:
https://www.brooksrunning.com/ShoeFinder

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Runners on 16:44 - Aug 13 with 3349 viewshype313

Runners on 16:41 - Aug 13 by horsehollerer

Yes. Proper running shoes are essential, whatever level you are at. As you gradually add more distance, you will almost certainly pick up injuries (knees, hips, back, lower leg, ankles) without proper shoes.

As for which ones are right for you, you first need to figure out how your foot hits the ground (your pronation). In general, if your soles tend to wear out quickest and most on the inside of your feet, you over-pronate, but if the wear is more on the outside, you under-pronate. This is really important because it affects the amount of stress you are putting on all your joints and muscles, including back, hips, knees, calves, shins, tendons... you name it. Manufacturers makes shoes for all pronation types, so make sure you get the right type for your running action.

Different running shoes also offer varying levels of support (for balance) and cushion (for comfort/stress reduction). A simple test is to stand on one leg without shoes. If you find this very easy, then you don't need much support. If you're swaying around a bit, then you need a bit more structure in your shoes. In general, beginners should go for shoes with good support. While this adds a little more weight to the shoe, it's worth it. Same for cushion.

Best thing to do is to find a store with a treadmill and knowledgeable staff so they can assess your running gait. But if not, check out some manufacturers that allow you to filter their products by pronation, support, cushion, etc, so you know you're in the right zone. You can always look for the same shoes elsewhere for a cheaper price.

I've been mainly running in Brooks shoes for 10 years now. Their site is great for figuring out which ones might be the best for you:
https://www.brooksrunning.com/ShoeFinder

Brilliant, Thank you mate, I'm going to pop into Coes and have a chat with them and get them to look at my gait, I should imagine I need strong cushioning to begin with.

Runners on 16:55 - Aug 13 with 3322 viewsBeds_blue

Decent shoes can make all the difference, as said you can get your gait analysed and go from there. If you want to save a few quid you can always get the previous version of the trainer's recommend as they're usually very similar. Also new shoes = motivation to use them!

To avoid injury far more important than new trainers is correct technique and never a better time to get it right than now, before you make habits that are hard to break. Do some research on it and learn a bit (check out kinetic revolution, I think he's based north of the border but other than that he speaks a lot of sense). It'll boil down to mid to forefoot striking being most preferable landing on a bent knee above and definitely not behind your foot. Get it right now and you'll find everything becomes much easier and with fewer injuries. If you can go running barefoot anywhere just for a short distance you'll find this comes very naturally when you haven't got all that cushioning to make it comfortable. This may well change your gait so bear this in mind when buying shoes! Also cross training getting your core strong will really help your running improve quickly.

Enjoy the journey!
Runners on 17:13 - Aug 13 with 3276 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

I started exactly the same way with an old pair of trainers - they were already half knackered so they were never going to last! Bought myself a pair of Nike running shoes for about £60 a few weeks later. Just went with what felt most comfortable really, and I actually did notice an immediate improvement in my times, possibly just from improved comfort or spring or something. They've now served me fine for over a year, a few 5k/10k races and around 400 miles worth of training towards doing my first half marathon later this year.

I started getting the odd blister once I went past 7 or 8 miles so I'm now wondering whether I need to invest in something a bit more expensive or custom-fit. But something off the shelf will do absolutely fine for you getting to 10k if money is an issue or you don't know where to begin.

By the way, kudos to you taking up running in this hot summer! If you do find it tough going, you might find you actually get a hell of a lot quicker once the weather cools down over the next few months. You'd be surprised how much the heat affects your body without even knowing it.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2018 17:14]
Runners on 17:18 - Aug 13 with 3260 viewshype313

Runners on 17:13 - Aug 13 by NoCanariesAllowed

I started exactly the same way with an old pair of trainers - they were already half knackered so they were never going to last! Bought myself a pair of Nike running shoes for about £60 a few weeks later. Just went with what felt most comfortable really, and I actually did notice an immediate improvement in my times, possibly just from improved comfort or spring or something. They've now served me fine for over a year, a few 5k/10k races and around 400 miles worth of training towards doing my first half marathon later this year.

I started getting the odd blister once I went past 7 or 8 miles so I'm now wondering whether I need to invest in something a bit more expensive or custom-fit. But something off the shelf will do absolutely fine for you getting to 10k if money is an issue or you don't know where to begin.

By the way, kudos to you taking up running in this hot summer! If you do find it tough going, you might find you actually get a hell of a lot quicker once the weather cools down over the next few months. You'd be surprised how much the heat affects your body without even knowing it.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2018 17:14]

Cheers, yeah started right in the middle of the heatwave, not sure it was a great idea! but to be honest I have found it much easier in this cooler weather, I'm actually looking forward to the Autumn/Winter time for the runs, although the morning sunshine is quite nice.

Runners on 17:20 - Aug 13 with 3253 viewshype313

Runners on 16:55 - Aug 13 by Beds_blue

Decent shoes can make all the difference, as said you can get your gait analysed and go from there. If you want to save a few quid you can always get the previous version of the trainer's recommend as they're usually very similar. Also new shoes = motivation to use them!

To avoid injury far more important than new trainers is correct technique and never a better time to get it right than now, before you make habits that are hard to break. Do some research on it and learn a bit (check out kinetic revolution, I think he's based north of the border but other than that he speaks a lot of sense). It'll boil down to mid to forefoot striking being most preferable landing on a bent knee above and definitely not behind your foot. Get it right now and you'll find everything becomes much easier and with fewer injuries. If you can go running barefoot anywhere just for a short distance you'll find this comes very naturally when you haven't got all that cushioning to make it comfortable. This may well change your gait so bear this in mind when buying shoes! Also cross training getting your core strong will really help your running improve quickly.

Enjoy the journey!

Cheers, this has been far more insightful than I first thought, given me plenty of good advice which I need, once I hit the promised land of 10k I'll let you know!

Runners on 17:30 - Aug 13 with 3228 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

Runners on 17:18 - Aug 13 by hype313

Cheers, yeah started right in the middle of the heatwave, not sure it was a great idea! but to be honest I have found it much easier in this cooler weather, I'm actually looking forward to the Autumn/Winter time for the runs, although the morning sunshine is quite nice.

Heh - taking it up was a great idea regardless of the conditions. Just don't overdo it at the moment!

It will get easier. I read somewhere that 8-11°C is meant to be the ideal temperature for running. Personally I miss the spring as the temperature was ideal back then. Gets hard in the winter when you know it's 2°C outside and you've got to get the balance right between not freezing yourself in the cold and not sweating yourself under loads of layers!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024