Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players less appreciated than they should have been. 13:38 - Aug 9 with 12501 viewssolemio

Seeing posts from stewartm and wkj on the other thread made me wonder about under-appreciated ITFC players who were really very good.

Like Stewart I'd certainly have Paul Mason very near the top of that sort of list. Looked good in the top division. Never really seemed to be a fans' favourite at the time.

Who else?
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 14:19 - Aug 9 with 4094 viewsSteve_M

Cole Skuse.

I think Mason was well appreciated, although his appearances were limited in the Premier League he was a star for the two seasons immediately after relegation. Perhaps forgotten about a bit now.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 14:36]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 14:29 - Aug 9 with 4070 viewsLeagueOne

I am sorry but I loved Paul Mason, what a player, one of our best from the 90's and his injury was a huge blow to us at the time.

From recent memory Paul Anderson. He was decent for us over those two seasons though not often the best player on the pitch, he worked hard and helped make a lot of goals for the team.W hen we got shot of him and brought in the likes of Douglas.... not the best move!

I also think both Berra and Smith on their day were underrated.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 14:30]

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 14:33 - Aug 9 with 4057 viewstheinbetweener

Chris Bart-Williams
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 14:46 - Aug 9 with 4033 viewsbluewein

Jermaine Wright.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 14:51 - Aug 9 with 4016 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

Christophe Berra
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 14:52 - Aug 9 with 4016 viewsstewartm

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:41 - Aug 9 by FifeITFC

Geraint Williams for me. Very underrated and misunderstood. His role was never a play maker like Jason Dozzell etc. He was there to quietly go about breaking up play and laying the ball off for the likes of Dozzell etc to weave the magic.

Take Williams out of the team and you'd realise how much work he did.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 13:42]

Geraint was a marvellous player! Reading other professional players comments about Geraint Williams, he was the hardest tackling player of his time.

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 14:54 - Aug 9 with 4009 viewsRyorry

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:46 - Aug 9 by SpruceMoose

Looking at our defensive options since he left, I personally didn't appreciate De Vos enough at the time.

I remember him applauding the fans at the end of his last game for us, and thinking to myself "o lor, we're going to have serious problems trying to replace him".

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 14:59 - Aug 9 with 3992 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

To a point I'd have to say Damien Delaney. He got so much stick from a chunk of our fanbase despite being part of what I think was actually one of our best recent CB partnerships alongside Gareth McAuley.

Yes, he never looked the same after GMac left, but considering the criticism he got before his departure, he immediately enjoyed a promotion at Crystal Palace and was a regular in the Premier League for many years thereafter.
Login to get fewer ads

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:00 - Aug 9 with 3987 viewspablosturn

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 13:42 - Aug 9 by TractorCam

Kevin Bru.

Of all players watched the most underrated is Kevin Bru? Deary me!

Have a look at a few games this season with Nolan, Chalobah and Dozzell playing, Huws when he is back to and tell me what Bru brought to itfc apart from C*ap backheel passes
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:01 - Aug 9 with 3978 viewsGlasgowBlue

McAuley
Delaney
Leadbitter
Priskin

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:02 - Aug 9 with 3974 viewsSwailsey

Colin Healy

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:05 - Aug 9 with 3961 viewsFifeITFC

Can I add Mick Stockwell?

Maybe not underappreciated, but certainly not appreciated enough. Mr Consistent, Mr 100%, Mr Reliable, Mr Play Anywhere, Mr Never Any Trouble.

Stocky was so dependable, versatile and reliable. An unsung hero that every club wishes they had someone like him.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:10 - Aug 9 with 3949 viewsRyorry

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:05 - Aug 9 by FifeITFC

Maybe not underappreciated, but certainly not appreciated enough. Mr Consistent, Mr 100%, Mr Reliable, Mr Play Anywhere, Mr Never Any Trouble.

Stocky was so dependable, versatile and reliable. An unsung hero that every club wishes they had someone like him.

Feel similarly about Jason Cundy - also perhaps not underappreciated, but talk about Mr Reliable. And do you remember those days when we had such a settled team that you knew exactly who was going to be on the teamsheet and could reel them off by heart days ahead, week in, week out!

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:10 - Aug 9 with 3947 viewstheinbetweener

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:10 - Aug 9 by Ryorry

Feel similarly about Jason Cundy - also perhaps not underappreciated, but talk about Mr Reliable. And do you remember those days when we had such a settled team that you knew exactly who was going to be on the teamsheet and could reel them off by heart days ahead, week in, week out!

Shame he's such a bell end really.
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:15 - Aug 9 with 3932 viewsmediamatt

Clapham.
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:15 - Aug 9 with 3932 viewsRyorry

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:10 - Aug 9 by theinbetweener

Shame he's such a bell end really.

I'd actually forgotten about that! -*

*Edited out the rest as my hazy memory had got the wrong person.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 15:24]

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:16 - Aug 9 with 3925 viewsstickymockwell

Alun Armstrong
Clapham
Steve Whitton

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:17 - Aug 9 with 3921 viewstheinbetweener

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:15 - Aug 9 by Ryorry

I'd actually forgotten about that! -*

*Edited out the rest as my hazy memory had got the wrong person.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 15:24]

I was more referring to his god awful late night show on Talksport. Highly irritating, opinionated bully.

Listened to him just after the WC and he sparked a massive debate by claiming that he loved Maradona... or something along those lines!
Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:19 - Aug 9 with 3919 viewsRyorry

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:16 - Aug 9 by stickymockwell

Alun Armstrong
Clapham
Steve Whitton

Ah, Alun Armstrong - remember singing at our first away game at 'Boro after signing him "Thank you very much for Alun Armstrong" to the tune of "Aintree Iron"!

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:21 - Aug 9 with 3914 viewsRyorry

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:17 - Aug 9 by theinbetweener

I was more referring to his god awful late night show on Talksport. Highly irritating, opinionated bully.

Listened to him just after the WC and he sparked a massive debate by claiming that he loved Maradona... or something along those lines!

Ah. Don't think I've heard that particular show.

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:51 - Aug 9 with 3861 viewsLeagueOne

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 15:05 - Aug 9 by FifeITFC

Other than Mick Mills and John Wark, very few have given as much to Town over so long a period. He was with us what 20 years? Had he not been released at the turn of the century he would have still probably played regularly (he did for Colchester and was their best player) once we dropped down a tier again given how many players we had to let go in Admin. I'd take a Stockwell in his 30's over Dining, Proudlock and co any day of the week!

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 16:26 - Aug 9 with 3836 viewsjudespiveyg

Owen Garvan

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 16:29 - Aug 9 with 3831 viewsKeno

Roger Osborne

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 16:38 - Aug 9 with 3824 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Tamas Priskin - not because he was effective at all but because he would have been if we had played to his strengths. That was my theory anyway, although the evidence of his career after he left us would argue against it!

Matt Holland was another who divided the fans. In fact anyone in a central midfield role that wasn't a flair player is generally under-appreciated by many - Skuse as the most recent example.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Players less appreciated than they should have been. on 18:10 - Aug 9 with 3791 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Jermaine Wright.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024