Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next manager 14:58 - Apr 17 with 6557 viewsphillymark

I would love it to be Gerrard. I think the idea of a top class former player is tainted by the Keane experience but from what I've read it seems that Gerrard is taking management very seriously. We know he would value quality football and I can't imagine a better draw for young players who want to make a name for themselves.

Now the negative for me is that if he is successful he would move to a bigger club really fast. But, hey, I would love to have the problem of having a manager poached because he was too successful.

I'm also all in on going for it. I don't want "safe".

If not Gerrard then it needs to be someone in the Eddie Howe mould. New ideas, analytics and use of data, willing to put in insane hours, etc. Being in America, I'm not sure out of the names suggested who that is, but that is what I would love to see
Next manager on 15:45 - Apr 17 with 5134 viewsIllinoisblue

Stevie G intrigues me. Remember a year or so ago the speculation linking him with MK Dons. That sounded unlikely then but he was apparently considering it. We are a far more attractive offer. And imagine if he could get Evans to spend a bit more...

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Next manager on 15:52 - Apr 17 with 5111 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Let's not forget Keane had 2 seasons (100+ games) in charge of Sunderland so had vastly more managerial experience than Gerrard currently has, and therefore wasn't seen as much of a risk.

If we were to go down the route of players moving into management I'd throw the name David Unsworth into the debate. He's interested in the role (apparently) and has earned his stripes at Preston, Sheff Utd and Everton managing various youth teams and supporting first team duties when called upon. Seems ready to forge a managerial career for himself and the time would appear to be right for him to strike out on his own.
Next manager on 15:58 - Apr 17 with 5062 viewsflimflam

Neither Frank or Steve are in my top 3 but I would not be overly disappointed with either of them if I am honest.

Both play football the right way, were world class players, are still respected, have good contacts in the game, still young and players would want to play for them.

I think either of them could go on to be top managers so someone is going to have to take a gamble on them sometime.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Next manager on 16:00 - Apr 17 with 5049 viewsLeoMuff

Why would we take gamble on a name, there’s a reasonable chance he will be truly awful, the game is littered with them.

Surely better to take gamble on someone who has lower league success over a longish period and plays decent football, I don’t like the idea of being a testing ground for someone’s career.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Next manager on 16:00 - Apr 17 with 5052 viewstcblue

The thing which would worry me about Gerrard - let's assume he's a viable candidate which I'm not convinced on - is, like Giggs, he will only know the ropes of one club for his entire life, and how much of a culture shock it might come to him.

Actually there's another thing, which is how used to playing and coaching better players he would be. I think it was Hoddle who used to get frustrated (at Swindon?) by the fact that nobody else could ping 80 yard passes to feet in training.
Next manager on 16:02 - Apr 17 with 5040 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Next manager on 16:00 - Apr 17 by tcblue

The thing which would worry me about Gerrard - let's assume he's a viable candidate which I'm not convinced on - is, like Giggs, he will only know the ropes of one club for his entire life, and how much of a culture shock it might come to him.

Actually there's another thing, which is how used to playing and coaching better players he would be. I think it was Hoddle who used to get frustrated (at Swindon?) by the fact that nobody else could ping 80 yard passes to feet in training.

Two clubs ;-)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Next manager on 16:02 - Apr 17 with 5040 viewsSouperJim

Anyone without direct experience is a big gamble, what concerns me with former players is broadly speaking there is a negative correlation between achievement as a player and success as a manager. Gerrard always had the ability to grab a game by the scruff and make a difference, the 2006 FA cup final springs to mind, Gerrard won that game on his own through sheer bloody mindedness. Will he be able to effectively manage players who lack that ability?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Next manager on 16:02 - Apr 17 with 5034 viewsSwailsey

Next manager on 15:58 - Apr 17 by flimflam

Neither Frank or Steve are in my top 3 but I would not be overly disappointed with either of them if I am honest.

Both play football the right way, were world class players, are still respected, have good contacts in the game, still young and players would want to play for them.

I think either of them could go on to be top managers so someone is going to have to take a gamble on them sometime.

This is pretty much my point of view as well.

Plus hey, it'd be interesting.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Login to get fewer ads

Next manager on 16:03 - Apr 17 with 5030 viewsSpruceMoose

Next manager on 16:02 - Apr 17 by Swailsey

This is pretty much my point of view as well.

Plus hey, it'd be interesting.

What's that saying? May you live in interesting times? That's us right now.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Next manager on 16:05 - Apr 17 with 5032 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Next manager on 16:00 - Apr 17 by tcblue

"Thanks for you time Steven, you interviewed really well, you tick every box, we love your vision for the club and we think youve done great things with the U18's, we'd love to offer you the job!!

......but.....

.....Glenn Hoddle has a real flaw in that he gets frustrated by less technical players, so...... we cant offer you the job afterall. Sorry."

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Next manager on 16:06 - Apr 17 with 5013 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Next manager on 15:52 - Apr 17 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Let's not forget Keane had 2 seasons (100+ games) in charge of Sunderland so had vastly more managerial experience than Gerrard currently has, and therefore wasn't seen as much of a risk.

If we were to go down the route of players moving into management I'd throw the name David Unsworth into the debate. He's interested in the role (apparently) and has earned his stripes at Preston, Sheff Utd and Everton managing various youth teams and supporting first team duties when called upon. Seems ready to forge a managerial career for himself and the time would appear to be right for him to strike out on his own.

....how much experience did he have before Sunderland appointed him??

He did OK for them.

That case study kind off cancels itself out.

Next manager on 16:15 - Apr 17 with 4979 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Next manager on 16:06 - Apr 17 by Marshalls_Mullet

....how much experience did he have before Sunderland appointed him??

He did OK for them.

That case study kind off cancels itself out.

Touché
Next manager on 16:22 - Apr 17 with 4958 viewstcblue

Next manager on 16:05 - Apr 17 by Marshalls_Mullet

"Thanks for you time Steven, you interviewed really well, you tick every box, we love your vision for the club and we think youve done great things with the U18's, we'd love to offer you the job!!

......but.....

.....Glenn Hoddle has a real flaw in that he gets frustrated by less technical players, so...... we cant offer you the job afterall. Sorry."

That's how I envisaged it, obviously
Next manager on 16:40 - Apr 17 with 4905 viewsIllinoisblue

Next manager on 16:00 - Apr 17 by LeoMuff

Why would we take gamble on a name, there’s a reasonable chance he will be truly awful, the game is littered with them.

Surely better to take gamble on someone who has lower league success over a longish period and plays decent football, I don’t like the idea of being a testing ground for someone’s career.

who are these long-serving lower league managers with a record of success who play decent football? MoonOnAStick FC presumably!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Next manager on 16:45 - Apr 17 with 4883 viewsLeoMuff

Next manager on 16:40 - Apr 17 by Illinoisblue

who are these long-serving lower league managers with a record of success who play decent football? MoonOnAStick FC presumably!

Paul cook for starters, and I can’t comment on Hurst, Jones, but if their teams play football they also fit the bill.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Next manager on 16:49 - Apr 17 with 4864 viewsFifeITFC

Do we really need another media circus as manager? Keane, McCarthy etc. We don't need that again.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Next manager on 16:51 - Apr 17 with 4848 views12th_Man

I would hate it

Poll: Would you like ITFC to sign Colchester's Kane Vincent-Young

Next manager on 17:08 - Apr 17 with 4797 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Next manager on 15:52 - Apr 17 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Unsworth would get my vote. I think that he ticks a lot of the boxes for us.

Poll: Our final position

Next manager on 17:13 - Apr 17 with 4778 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Next manager on 17:08 - Apr 17 by southnorfolkblue

Unsworth would get my vote. I think that he ticks a lot of the boxes for us.

An 8 year coaching career with 4 of those alongside Joe Royle at Everton. Winning the Northern U23 league with his Everton side and developing some top players who are now in Everton's 1st team.

very highly thought of and was a strong contender for the top job there.. Almost a case of coming a bit too soon for him.

Not sure why he hasn't been mentioned more for jobs, ours included. Think he'd earned the chance to take on a job like ours
Next manager on 17:50 - Apr 17 with 4700 viewsPhilTWTD

Next manager on 15:45 - Apr 17 by Illinoisblue

Stevie G intrigues me. Remember a year or so ago the speculation linking him with MK Dons. That sounded unlikely then but he was apparently considering it. We are a far more attractive offer. And imagine if he could get Evans to spend a bit more...

Are we in Lampard or Gerrard's position? MK Dons have a fair bit of cash for League One, so more chance of success at that level. Whoever comes in here will have a difficult job. Not the sort of job for a Gerrard or a Lampard, who need to be successful in their first managerial position I would have thought.
Next manager on 17:53 - Apr 17 with 4684 viewsLord_Lucan

Next manager on 17:50 - Apr 17 by PhilTWTD

Are we in Lampard or Gerrard's position? MK Dons have a fair bit of cash for League One, so more chance of success at that level. Whoever comes in here will have a difficult job. Not the sort of job for a Gerrard or a Lampard, who need to be successful in their first managerial position I would have thought.

I think this pretty much determines why we won't get either, unless ME goes mad and releases the hounds!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Next manager on 17:56 - Apr 17 with 4673 viewsMullet

I concur with that.

Can't see past the "unknown" being a Div 3 or 4 manager at best. Evans putting Mogga top of the list and speaking to Cloughie makes total sense but if those (perceived) lesser Champ managers looking to establish themselves back here, knocks him back, then a Hurst/Clarke/Jones type will be the most exciting possibility.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Next manager on 17:57 - Apr 17 with 4670 viewsstrikalite

This is the worry about Mogga, he's shrewd enough to know that the Championship is tough and you need money, Blackburn aren't up yet though, so maybe it just hinges on these last few games, if they miss out he'll make the move, but if they gain promotion he'll stay there because he'll be given more money to strengthen..
Next manager on 18:02 - Apr 17 with 4653 viewsLord_Lucan

Next manager on 17:57 - Apr 17 by strikalite

This is the worry about Mogga, he's shrewd enough to know that the Championship is tough and you need money, Blackburn aren't up yet though, so maybe it just hinges on these last few games, if they miss out he'll make the move, but if they gain promotion he'll stay there because he'll be given more money to strengthen..

I'm not overly keen on Mogga. If we get him it will be be because of his Ipswich link rather than his managerial prowess.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Next manager on 18:03 - Apr 17 with 4647 viewsJohnny_Boy

Next manager on 15:45 - Apr 17 by Illinoisblue

I was always under the impression Paul Ince was going to be this progressive 'young' forward thinking ex player / coach. Did the lower league route. Got a little bit of money. Now where the hell is he!?!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024