Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
People inside football all say the samething about MM...! 20:45 - Feb 19 with 5825 viewsITFCcharmer

Whenever anyone in the game is interviewed and asked for their opinion about ITFC under the management of MM, they all seem to have the same opinion and that Mick has done a brilliant job.

So why do the majority of “vocal” fans think otherwise? Who knows more about the situation - the fans that come week after week and want to be entertained by attacking football? Or those who are often privy to more “behind the scenes” info about how clubs like Ipswich are run and the Man management style and approach of Mick.

Does anyone think that MM has lost the changing room? People in the club only ever seem to have positives to say about MM. Everyone at the club seems to have bought into the MM way, I haven’t heard any whispers of disatisfaction, rifts or internal wrangling, has anyone else?

With only having had 3m to spend on transfer fees since arriving here, how can anyone expect us to realistically compete with the best in the league..? while in trueth we do compete and are rarely convincingly beaten by anyone in the league home or away.

Is setting us up to be solid at the back and to not lose, that much of a problem when we haven’t really got the type of players to be set up to attack attack attack? Until an ITFC manager is given funds to invest in players we can’t expect anything better.

IMO It’s not MM fans should vent their frustration at. Evans and the lack of funds is the real problem!

When MM leaves in the summer who is really going to want to work at our club with no funds being made available to invest and the “vocal fan base” venting at the manager who has no real money to invest in the type of players that fans want to see!?!

When expectations compared to means are so far apart, dissatisfaction and frustration Is bound to be the result.

I’m one of Celina’s biggest fans but I thought MM got our tactics and formation spot on at Norwich and to hear the fans sing “your football is s@@t” away at our local rivals, when you could see the players and staff doing everything they could to get a winning result was so disappointing... and our football wasn’t s@@t, no wonder he made his feeling felt when we scored!

People inside football all say the samething about MM...! on 12:46 - Feb 20 with 1031 viewsTheBlueBarca

People inside football all say the samething about MM...! on 21:04 - Feb 19 by MVBlue

All this depends on whether you think football is a sport, or a business. Mick manages the business well, getting some points on the board and folk look at the league table and say yes, well run club, for their money. Like a well run pub. Does well, good food, sticks to what it knows. No need to bring in Gordon Ramsey to rejuvinate it.

"Ipswich Town FC, how can anyone expect us to realistically compete with the best in the league...." I mean when it was a sport they won the league, FA cup, UEFA cup, playing the best teams in all the country and europe, never losing at home in European competition.

So, no need to find a manager with something to prove whos worked with players to find their strongest position and taught them to play the beautiful game, bringing them confidence and gelling a unit together.

No, its a business isn't it. Steady hand, a manager who can 'work with what hes got', earning hundreds of thousands positioning players to make a hard to beat unit that puts points on the board. Because we should always stay a Championship club with low ambition, as thats the business model now football is less a sport more a financial system.

Well if thats the way its going, 12000 is the attendence ITFC can expect. Sigh.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2018 21:06]

I wouldn't say losing £8-10million a year for 4 years, with only one profit in 5 years due to selling assets is managing a business "well".

I don't actually blame Mick for that, he takes a lot of the heat but Evans is the decision maker here - he sets the budget and the manager has to work within that. If the owner feels that is satisfactory then we know that a managerial change isn't going to be as revolutionary as many think it will be.

The same old problems exists regardless of manager, lack of youth team players coming through with the U21's and U18's not particularly doing great despite all this crowing of "investment", contracts being left till the last minute or expiring causing chaos, reliance on loans rather than developing our own players long term, cutting the playing staff and not replacing forcing the manager to use makeshift teams.

The thing is the people still pro-Evans are now firmly in the minority and many more are saying enough is enough, with the silent majority having walked away and probably wont come back now - there lies the real problem. He's treated the fans like fools, made awful managerial appointments, used mouthpieces like Clegg and Milne to take the heat for his bad decisions all the while driving the prices of tickets and merch up, investing as little as possible and spinning the same old stories from the PR department.

But lets blame Mick for everything, and when we get someone awful like Mark Hughes and the same thing happens again, we can just blame that manager too and it will go on and on!

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

People inside football all say the samething about MM...! on 12:51 - Feb 20 with 1023 viewsRyorry

People inside football all say the samething about MM...! on 12:42 - Feb 20 by Mullet

Given our away attendances I doubt we have more than 200 people that watch every game live. Some of us get can use iFollow which is pretty good, however if you think that ex-pros and players don't know or keep up to date either you're kidding yourself.

Noel Hunt on twitter this weekend being a good example. Keith Andrews on TV, whilst I'm no great fan, was very insightful and it was obvious he'd kept himself in the loop through the old boys network judging from the way he was talking.

Arguably the old boys are going to get far more inside info and gossip which is probably telling.

I'm talking about the fans' feelings (and of course mainly home crowds/ST holders) re MM generally who watch almost every home game + a few aways. Name me a pundit who watches our games as much as they do.

I'm not talking about assessing Mick's other attributes/failings, I'm talking about *watching 90 mins+ of us every week*.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

People inside football all say the samething about MM...! on 14:21 - Feb 20 with 974 viewscharlie1

People inside football all say the samething about MM...! on 12:51 - Feb 20 by Ryorry

I'm talking about the fans' feelings (and of course mainly home crowds/ST holders) re MM generally who watch almost every home game + a few aways. Name me a pundit who watches our games as much as they do.

I'm not talking about assessing Mick's other attributes/failings, I'm talking about *watching 90 mins+ of us every week*.

The counter argument would be that the average pundit would have a far greater exposure to every other team in the Championship.

Their assessment of Mick’s success is therefore in the context of the merits/wealth/expenditure/management of the entire division.

By only seeing most Champ teams twice a season, the average Town fan can only measure Towns quality in isolation against expectation and history.
Those who regularly complain about the style of play do so because ‘we want to see better’ or ‘it’s not the Ipswich way’.

In any case, I’d rather take an objective footballing assessment from a professional of the game, than the myopic, self-styled, Saturday afternoon ‘experts’ we seem to be saddled with nowadays.
People inside football all say the samething about MM...! on 14:28 - Feb 20 with 969 viewsRadlett_blue

Yes, Mick's tactics worked well for the first half on Sunday, when we had by far the better of the game. However, when the game changed in the 2nd half, Mick simply made like-for-like subs & hoped to hang on for a point. The fact we scored with our sole goal attempt of the half doesn't hide the fact that this was poor inflexibility.
In terms of purely results, Mick has done a good job at Town, having taken over a woeful, disorganised squad, making it solid & generally having the club in the top half of the table with bottom half resources. He's certainly done a good job of player recruitment.
But the downside is that much of the football has been poor & Town are regularly set up to nullify the opposition, meaning we play so many games on the back foot. The regular poor entertainment, coupled with a realisation that surviving in this league is the limit of Evans's ambition, is why fans are voting with their feet & staying away.
While Mick does know more about football than most fans, his regular sniping at the support does him & the team no favours.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

People inside football all say the samething about MM...! on 14:57 - Feb 20 with 946 viewsRyorry

People inside football all say the samething about MM...! on 14:21 - Feb 20 by charlie1

The counter argument would be that the average pundit would have a far greater exposure to every other team in the Championship.

Their assessment of Mick’s success is therefore in the context of the merits/wealth/expenditure/management of the entire division.

By only seeing most Champ teams twice a season, the average Town fan can only measure Towns quality in isolation against expectation and history.
Those who regularly complain about the style of play do so because ‘we want to see better’ or ‘it’s not the Ipswich way’.

In any case, I’d rather take an objective footballing assessment from a professional of the game, than the myopic, self-styled, Saturday afternoon ‘experts’ we seem to be saddled with nowadays.

I must have expressed it very badly, cos I don't seem to be getting it across to anybody bar my kind upvoter!

I am *not* talking about us in *any other context* than the very simple fact that people who watch Town for 90+ mins week after week are fed up and bored out of their skulls with what they describe as dross.

IF or WHEN any pundit watches the same amount of ITFC first team game time that our average ST holder does, they might have a better grasp of why most ITFC fans don't appreciate Mick as much as they (ie the pundits) do from their theorizing.

The only pundit who's qualified in this respect as far as I'm aware is Phil Ham.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2018 14:58]

People inside football all say the samething about MM...! on 15:03 - Feb 20 with 940 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

People inside football all say the samething about MM...! on 14:21 - Feb 20 by charlie1

Surely the difference is more that people within the game will look at things from a different perspective than the fans

Objectively Mick has done a good job and continues to do so - I think most Ipswich supporters recognise that. Our budget was at last count 17th in the division and has probably slipped further since then, so he continues to have us punching above our weight, and there is no doubt that the squad now is better than the one he inherited. That’s not to say he hasn’t made mistakes but on the whole he’s batted above average

However, from a fans point of view once we stopped challenging for the playoffs, there’s little to get excited about finishing in mid-table - even if that still exceeds realistic expectations. Over time that leads to the situation we’re in now - where some fans are desperate for a change because ultimately if you’re not enjoying what you’re watching then what is the point?

Tony Pulis at WBA is probably a good comparison. People within football would probably point to their position in the league table now and say their fans were mugs to want him gone, but their fans would argue that he may have kept them up but for what - another season of dull, depressing football?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

People inside football all say the samething about MM...! on 15:16 - Feb 20 with 925 viewsRyorry

People inside football all say the samething about MM...! on 15:03 - Feb 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Surely the difference is more that people within the game will look at things from a different perspective than the fans

Objectively Mick has done a good job and continues to do so - I think most Ipswich supporters recognise that. Our budget was at last count 17th in the division and has probably slipped further since then, so he continues to have us punching above our weight, and there is no doubt that the squad now is better than the one he inherited. That’s not to say he hasn’t made mistakes but on the whole he’s batted above average

However, from a fans point of view once we stopped challenging for the playoffs, there’s little to get excited about finishing in mid-table - even if that still exceeds realistic expectations. Over time that leads to the situation we’re in now - where some fans are desperate for a change because ultimately if you’re not enjoying what you’re watching then what is the point?

Tony Pulis at WBA is probably a good comparison. People within football would probably point to their position in the league table now and say their fans were mugs to want him gone, but their fans would argue that he may have kept them up but for what - another season of dull, depressing football?

Thank you, expressed it much better than me.

Different perspectives - exactly. And we fans are paying to watch, unlike them!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024