Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? 15:48 - Aug 30 with 8085 viewsBOjK

She [May] told Sky News: “You can’t be a member of the single market unless you’re a member of the European Union. The British people voted to leave the European Union and we will be leaving.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/william-hague-worse-brexit-may-snap-electi

Assuming the quote above is accurate (and I have no reason to disbelieve it) it is an outright lie. It isn't true. It is a fib. And it isn't difficult to disprove. The governments own pre-referendum materials stated this was the case. Google says this is the case. Reputable news organisations say this is the case. Proper countries are full members of the single market but not the EU. Norway for example, and they seem to do OK.

Now ... she could argue we'd be making a mistake not to leave the single market as well as the EU. Or she should argue that the referendum was a de facto plebiscite on membership of the single market. But she hasn't. She's chosen to lie to us and to treat us as fools.

History is judging her harshly at the moment for her seeming to be completely unsuited for the job she has and I have no sympathy at all.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2017 15:48]

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 15:51 - Aug 30 with 5170 viewsWD19

Shhhh, football season has started.
Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 15:51 - Aug 30 with 5174 viewsBergholtBru

Yes but why single her out just because you support labour. What about Iraq`s WMD`s. Indeed, why DOES the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 15:53 - Aug 30 with 5150 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 15:51 - Aug 30 by BergholtBru

Yes but why single her out just because you support labour. What about Iraq`s WMD`s. Indeed, why DOES the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country.

Politicians lie, its what they do unfortunately.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 15:55 - Aug 30 with 5147 viewsgtsb1966

What Hague told the BBC today peed me off ( or should I say the way he said it). Pompous tw@t.

"I don't think calling the election was a mistake," he said. "I think the result was a mistake. Collectively, by the people of this country.
Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 15:59 - Aug 30 with 5100 viewsGlasgowBlue

You may have access to the single market through EFTA, like Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland but not be members of the single market.

Although these countries access tot he single market they have no say in the rules of the single market.

For example, Norway is not a member of the single market and although they pay for access the country is exempt from EU rules on agriculture, fisheries, justice and home affairs. Switzerland does not have full access to the single market for its banking sector.

So I think, in this instance, May is being completely truthful.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2017 16:02]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:03 - Aug 30 with 5088 viewsDarth_Koont

Because she believes maintaining her party and its ideology is more important than holding herself to the truth. And she also knows the press won't or cannot take her to task.

Pronouns: He/Him

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:03 - Aug 30 with 5080 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 15:55 - Aug 30 by gtsb1966

What Hague told the BBC today peed me off ( or should I say the way he said it). Pompous tw@t.

"I don't think calling the election was a mistake," he said. "I think the result was a mistake. Collectively, by the people of this country.

The result reflected the campaigns run by the two parties.

No election or referendum result is a mistake.

Iron Lion Zion

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:07 - Aug 30 with 5064 viewsBergholtBru

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 15:53 - Aug 30 by Marshalls_Mullet

Politicians lie, its what they do unfortunately.

That`s very true. I just wondered why the OP singled her out. It`s a perfectly reasonable question and how some idiot could downvote my post heaven knows!

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Login to get fewer ads

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:10 - Aug 30 with 5038 viewsgtsb1966

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:03 - Aug 30 by GlasgowBlue

The result reflected the campaigns run by the two parties.

No election or referendum result is a mistake.

He is saying that anyone who didn't vote Conservative is wrong and they all made a mistake. That's how I read it. I find that condescending to say the least.
Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:11 - Aug 30 with 5024 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:10 - Aug 30 by gtsb1966

He is saying that anyone who didn't vote Conservative is wrong and they all made a mistake. That's how I read it. I find that condescending to say the least.

Extremely condescending.

Iron Lion Zion

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:12 - Aug 30 with 5025 viewsDarth_Koont

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:07 - Aug 30 by BergholtBru

That`s very true. I just wondered why the OP singled her out. It`s a perfectly reasonable question and how some idiot could downvote my post heaven knows!

Possibly because we have done that before and Blair has been overall judged for his role in Iraq. And that situation was a lot murkier due to interpretations of intelligence material.

But this is a bald-faced lie to people (us) who know it's a lie for a fact. Let's not conflate the two or use one to explain the other.

Pronouns: He/Him

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:18 - Aug 30 with 5000 viewsNo9

I'm not sure Mrs May understands anything -
she said this morning Aston Martin is a British company when it is not.
She said Nissan is a Japanese company when it is not.

She has mislead the electorate on may issues
She is to disonest to be a liar
Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:24 - Aug 30 with 4985 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:18 - Aug 30 by No9

I'm not sure Mrs May understands anything -
she said this morning Aston Martin is a British company when it is not.
She said Nissan is a Japanese company when it is not.

She has mislead the electorate on may issues
She is to disonest to be a liar

Aston Martin Lagonda Limited is a British manufacturer of luxury sports cars and grand tourers. It was founded in 1913 by Lionel Martin and Robert Bamford. Steered from 1947 by David Brown, it became associated with expensive grand touring cars in the 1950s and 1960s, and with the fictional character James Bond following his use of a DB5 model in the 1964 film Goldfinger. Their sports cars are regarded as a British cultural icon. Aston Martin has held a Royal Warrant as purveyor of motorcars to HRH the Prince of Wales since 1982.

Nissan Motor Company Ltd (Japanese: 日産自動車株式会社 Hepburn: Nissan Jidōsha Kabushiki-gaisha), usually shortened to Nissan (/ˈniːsɑːn/ or UK: /ˈnɪsæn/; Japanese: [ɲissaɴ]), is a Japanese multinational automobile manufacturer headquartered in Nishi-ku, Yokohama.

Iron Lion Zion

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:36 - Aug 30 with 4955 viewsfactual_blue

Worse Prime Minister since Lord Bute.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:38 - Aug 30 with 4946 viewsfactual_blue

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 15:55 - Aug 30 by gtsb1966

The result was indeed a mistake.

Too many people made the mistake of wasting their votes on the worst Prime Minister since Lord Bute.

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:43 - Aug 30 with 4932 viewsNo9

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:24 - Aug 30 by GlasgowBlue

Aston Martin Lagonda Limited is a British manufacturer of luxury sports cars and grand tourers. It was founded in 1913 by Lionel Martin and Robert Bamford. Steered from 1947 by David Brown, it became associated with expensive grand touring cars in the 1950s and 1960s, and with the fictional character James Bond following his use of a DB5 model in the 1964 film Goldfinger. Their sports cars are regarded as a British cultural icon. Aston Martin has held a Royal Warrant as purveyor of motorcars to HRH the Prince of Wales since 1982.

Nissan Motor Company Ltd (Japanese: 日産自動車株式会社 Hepburn: Nissan Jidōsha Kabushiki-gaisha), usually shortened to Nissan (/ˈniːsɑːn/ or UK: /ˈnɪsæn/; Japanese: [ɲissaɴ]), is a Japanese multinational automobile manufacturer headquartered in Nishi-ku, Yokohama.

Aston Martin bought by Prodrive in 2012 now jointly owned by them a Kuwait organisation and an Italian investment corp.

Nissan bought out by Renault when they got into trouble several years ago so is in fact at least in part a French nationlised company. The alliance is now the worlds largest car maker
Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:53 - Aug 30 with 4901 viewshype313

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:36 - Aug 30 by factual_blue

Worse Prime Minister since Lord Bute.

Have we ever had a good prime minister?

I keep seeing lists of the worst, and it includes every single one since Walpole.

Seems like none of them are up to much.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:53 - Aug 30 with 4900 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:43 - Aug 30 by No9

Aston Martin bought by Prodrive in 2012 now jointly owned by them a Kuwait organisation and an Italian investment corp.

Nissan bought out by Renault when they got into trouble several years ago so is in fact at least in part a French nationlised company. The alliance is now the worlds largest car maker

Prodrive bought Aston Martin in 2007.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1545308/Aston-Martin-back-under-British-o

I love your reverse logic regarding Nissan. A Japanese company buys out a struggling french company so therefore you no longer consider it to be a Japanese company.

Iron Lion Zion

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:55 - Aug 30 with 4893 viewsfactual_blue

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:53 - Aug 30 by hype313

Have we ever had a good prime minister?

I keep seeing lists of the worst, and it includes every single one since Walpole.

Seems like none of them are up to much.

Atlee was the best Prime Minister by a country mile.

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:58 - Aug 30 with 4879 viewshype313

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:55 - Aug 30 by factual_blue

Atlee was the best Prime Minister by a country mile.

Interesting, a champion of gay rights, decolonisation and a brexiter.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 17:08 - Aug 30 with 4851 viewsNo9

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:53 - Aug 30 by GlasgowBlue

Prodrive bought Aston Martin in 2007.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1545308/Aston-Martin-back-under-British-o

I love your reverse logic regarding Nissan. A Japanese company buys out a struggling french company so therefore you no longer consider it to be a Japanese company.

OK I may have not got the dates exactly right on Aston Martin-
On 12 March 2007, a consortium led by Prodrive chairman David Richards purchased Aston Martin for £475m (US$848m).[40] The group included American investment banker John Singers and two Kuwaiti companies, Investment Dar and Adeem Investment;[41][42] Prodrive had no financial involvement in the deal.[43] Ford kept a stake in Aston Martin valued at £40m (US$70m).
The Italins bought in 2012
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-astonmartin-stake-idUSBRE8B60C620121207

Without these and the Merc AMG input AM would probably have collapsed a while ago

Reanault saved Nissan in 1999 when others pulled out
The organisation has been restructured since to include Mitsubishi but Renault is still the major player with the JV being registerd in NL.

"Renault has a 43.4% stake in Nissan, and Nissan a 15% stake in Renault. This cross-shareholding arrangement ensures that the two partners have the same interests and encourages them to adopt win-win strategies beneficial to both."
Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 17:09 - Aug 30 with 4846 viewsNo9

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:58 - Aug 30 by hype313

How so a Brexiteer?
He was again referendums
Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 17:11 - Aug 30 with 4842 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 16:58 - Aug 30 by hype313

Atlee a champion of decolonisation?

The book shows how Atlee's foreign policy with regards to former British colonies was absolutely shameful .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Imperial-Endgame-Britains-Empire-Britain/dp/023024873X

"Clement Attlee's post-war government is sometimes presented as the government that began dismantling the Empire, but it was actually responsible for intensifying the economic exploitation of the colonies, in the interests of the big monopolies, under the guise of "partnership". The post-1945 Labour government continued to act in the interests of the big monopolies in regard to the Empire, but found it impossible to act completely in the old way, largely owing to the struggles of those in the colonies, the strength of the anti-colonial and anti-imperialist movement internationally and the contention between the big powers themselves. The Labour government joined with the governments of the other imperialist powers and unleashed a combination of targeted violence and illusion mongering about the capacity of the capitalist system to reform itself. Every effort was made to derail the working class movement, both in Britain and internationally.

In order to maintain the Empire, in this period, the Labour government used military means to suppress the struggles for independence and national liberation in the Gold Coast, Nigeria and Iran, but especially in Malaya, where the Labour government waged a bloody colonial war for over three years".

http://www.panjab.org.uk/english/labcolon.htm
[Post edited 30 Aug 2017 17:12]

Iron Lion Zion

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 17:20 - Aug 30 with 4820 viewsSteve_M

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 17:11 - Aug 30 by GlasgowBlue

Atlee a champion of decolonisation?

The book shows how Atlee's foreign policy with regards to former British colonies was absolutely shameful .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Imperial-Endgame-Britains-Empire-Britain/dp/023024873X

"Clement Attlee's post-war government is sometimes presented as the government that began dismantling the Empire, but it was actually responsible for intensifying the economic exploitation of the colonies, in the interests of the big monopolies, under the guise of "partnership". The post-1945 Labour government continued to act in the interests of the big monopolies in regard to the Empire, but found it impossible to act completely in the old way, largely owing to the struggles of those in the colonies, the strength of the anti-colonial and anti-imperialist movement internationally and the contention between the big powers themselves. The Labour government joined with the governments of the other imperialist powers and unleashed a combination of targeted violence and illusion mongering about the capacity of the capitalist system to reform itself. Every effort was made to derail the working class movement, both in Britain and internationally.

In order to maintain the Empire, in this period, the Labour government used military means to suppress the struggles for independence and national liberation in the Gold Coast, Nigeria and Iran, but especially in Malaya, where the Labour government waged a bloody colonial war for over three years".

http://www.panjab.org.uk/english/labcolon.htm
[Post edited 30 Aug 2017 17:12]

Using one secondary source to make an argument is somewhat below best historical practice.

You have become tediously tribal again recently which is a great pity as you usually offer far more to the board than that.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Why does the Prime Minister lie to the people of this country? on 17:22 - Aug 30 with 4810 viewsFtnfwest

Maybe it was just an 'ambition'
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024