Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jim Magilton 23:29 - Mar 19 with 2369 viewsSpuddy

Would you like to see Jim Magilton become town manager again?
And do you think that it is realistic?

Poll: Predictions for next season

Jim Magilton on 23:55 - Mar 19 with 2333 viewspatrickswell

No and no.

To put it in context, Jim struggled for consistency here, we could never go more than three matches without suffering a defeat. Maybe he would have learned more had he gone on to other clubs, but he's not managed anywhere, apart from briefly in Australia, since he got thrown out of QPR for trying to bully Akos Buzacky. That's 8 years ago this year.

It isn't realistic while Evans is here given that Magilton spent money and didn't deliver, while I suspect he won't have forgotten the way his dismissal was handled.
Jim Magilton on 00:04 - Mar 20 with 2321 viewsRyorry

Jim Magilton on 23:55 - Mar 19 by patrickswell

No and no.

To put it in context, Jim struggled for consistency here, we could never go more than three matches without suffering a defeat. Maybe he would have learned more had he gone on to other clubs, but he's not managed anywhere, apart from briefly in Australia, since he got thrown out of QPR for trying to bully Akos Buzacky. That's 8 years ago this year.

It isn't realistic while Evans is here given that Magilton spent money and didn't deliver, while I suspect he won't have forgotten the way his dismissal was handled.

No. Great footballer for us, and will always love him for pretty much himself getting us to Wembley with his heart, guts and twinkling toes in the semi v. Bolton, but he's not born to be a manager imho.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Jim Magilton on 01:23 - Mar 20 with 2264 viewsmadmouse1959

Hypothetical question if MM is still here next season.
Na, not Jim Magilton as a replacement.

Just on merit alone we should grab the Cowley brothers from Lincoln...or...Nigel Clough from Burton.

shampoo dave

Jim Magilton on 02:32 - Mar 20 with 2238 viewsMinneapolis_ITFC

No, and above all else there's about zero chance it could ever occur again.

Didn't work out 10 years back and while honor his name as a playing individual for the club, his management skills here were sadly lacking. Over time lost patience with the support and if didn't happen for us then, there's no reason to suggest anything different this time around.

In truth I don't know what's he's involved with these days. Doubt still in club management and even if was offered the post here for a second time, he'll be aware of his failures first time around and could be seriously put off giving it another shot.

All said, would I want to see him return NO, and is it a realistic expectation ? You got to add the same response for that also truth be told.
Jim Magilton on 04:50 - Mar 20 with 2179 viewsharlingblue

No, a very poor selection as Manager, by a novice Owner. Jim was a very good player for Town, but was far too close to the players to be their manager. Keane should have been the Manager to inspire us, but killed us as a club. We have never recovered.
Jim Magilton on 06:43 - Mar 20 with 2071 viewsSWGF

Jim Magilton on 04:50 - Mar 20 by harlingblue

No, a very poor selection as Manager, by a novice Owner. Jim was a very good player for Town, but was far too close to the players to be their manager. Keane should have been the Manager to inspire us, but killed us as a club. We have never recovered.

Which "novice Owner" appointed Magilton?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Jim Magilton on 07:57 - Mar 20 with 1970 viewsBlueBadger

No, on the grounds that he's been away from the sharp end too long. And, given that he was, in part, hounded out by divots in the press and terraces it could probably be one of the stupidest moves Evans were to make with his next appointment bar appointing a triumvirate of Meson, Keane and Jewell in charge.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Jim Magilton on 08:05 - Mar 20 with 1958 viewsBlueBadger

Magilton was bringing slow-but-steady, year-on-year improvements until the Evans era, when his lack of experience and a dearth of savvy in the wider transfer market(i.e. one where you can pay fees) did for him. That could have been compensated for with an experienced no 2 and/or DoF.
That said, I don't think he should make a return because he's far too long out of the sharp end of the game now.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2017 9:38]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Jim Magilton on 08:20 - Mar 20 with 1923 viewsSteve_M

Jim Magilton on 08:05 - Mar 20 by BlueBadger

Magilton was bringing slow-but-steady, year-on-year improvements until the Evans era, when his lack of experience and a dearth of savvy in the wider transfer market(i.e. one where you can pay fees) did for him. That could have been compensated for with an experienced no 2 and/or DoF.
That said, I don't think he should make a return because he's far too long out of the sharp end of the game now.

Yep, pretty much that. Edit: Plus there is no way Magilton would work for ME again.

Although SWGF does remind us of Sheepy's ability to turn the cheap option after a season of real frustration (05-06 was pretty rubbish, bar one six week spell between January and March) into a positive.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2017 8:20]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Jim Magilton on 08:47 - Mar 20 with 1876 viewsblueblood66

would prefer Burley with Butcher net to him
Jim Magilton on 08:48 - Mar 20 with 1873 viewsLord_Lucan

No. Although Jim would have got us up by now.

Evans didn't appoint him by the way.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Jim Magilton on 09:19 - Mar 20 with 1820 viewsbournemouthblue

Jim Magilton on 08:48 - Mar 20 by Lord_Lucan

No. Although Jim would have got us up by now.

Evans didn't appoint him by the way.

Hard to really say, we stagnated once we started to waste Evans money

We had the season where we excellent at home, rubbish away and then the season where we were excellent away and rubbish at home, would he have eventually struck a balance? Would his transfers have improved?

He signed Faurlin at QPR on the back of the Civelli scouting

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Jim Magilton on 09:27 - Mar 20 with 1805 viewspatrickswell

Disagree about "never recovered". Don't let the frustrations of this year erase the excellence of Mick's first 2 seasons. It's just a shame that last year, the patient was given tranquillisers when it should have received vitamins, and that this year, they seem to be actively trying to smother it with a pillow.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2017 9:29]
Jim Magilton on 09:28 - Mar 20 with 1797 viewsSwansea_Blue

No.

No.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Jim Magilton on 09:38 - Mar 20 with 1777 viewsArnieM

I can tell you now if Magilton ever became Town manager again you can kiss goodbye any thoughts of Academy kids making it into the senior squad. I was told by someone at the club that the bloke was literally hated by the Town youngsters when he was here.

Why? Because he was an utter bully, often flying into a rage in training sessions when kids didn't do what he wanted. He was able to bully the senior 0layers so much. I'm told the day he was sacked there was much celebration and cheering amongst the young Town players.

No Thanks

Id prefer Burley any day.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Jim Magilton on 10:55 - Mar 20 with 1706 viewseMeM

Jim Magilton on 09:38 - Mar 20 by ArnieM

I can tell you now if Magilton ever became Town manager again you can kiss goodbye any thoughts of Academy kids making it into the senior squad. I was told by someone at the club that the bloke was literally hated by the Town youngsters when he was here.

Why? Because he was an utter bully, often flying into a rage in training sessions when kids didn't do what he wanted. He was able to bully the senior 0layers so much. I'm told the day he was sacked there was much celebration and cheering amongst the young Town players.

No Thanks

Id prefer Burley any day.

If he really was that bad I want him back ASAP. We need someone with right attitude to wake up this football club. And some tactical genius to help him.
Jim Magilton on 11:17 - Mar 20 with 1662 viewsLord_Lucan

Jim Magilton on 01:23 - Mar 20 by madmouse1959

Hypothetical question if MM is still here next season.
Na, not Jim Magilton as a replacement.

Just on merit alone we should grab the Cowley brothers from Lincoln...or...Nigel Clough from Burton.

I've alluded to this before but unfortunately I don't think the Cowleys would have the respect of our "Highly successful " players. I like a Clough but has he really done it at our level? It's certainly a tough one. Reading a text from my mate in the know I wouldn't be surprised if we go for a continental approach.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2017 12:18]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Jim Magilton on 11:59 - Mar 20 with 1615 viewsNo9

No! on both counts
Jim Magilton on 12:01 - Mar 20 with 1610 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Jim Magilton on 08:05 - Mar 20 by BlueBadger

He had an experienced no2 - John Gorman, one of the best No2's we've ever had. Unfortunately he was coping with an inexperienced No1.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024