Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
t.w.t.d. motoring hive 12:19 - May 17 with 1008 viewsjaykay

never been one for motors .as long as it get me from a to b. my ancient ford focus is on its last legs ,so need to get another motor soon.
never bought a new car , so will be looking at second hand cars. would like a small suv and narrowed it down to a ford puma or a hyundai kona.
anyone got any advice on those 2

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 12:38 - May 17 with 950 viewsFreddies_Ears

I have a Ford Puma. Don't worry about only being a 1 litre engine; the 125bhp is fine, and the 150ish bhp can be fun (i have had both). I have done around 50,000 miles (35,000 + 15000 from new) with no mechanical or electrical issues at all.

Upsides: handling is great, almost up with Mini / BMW, boot is huge, given the vast underfloor box, economy around or just over 50mpg on long drives or 45mpg in town, equipment level is good, front seats comfortable, driving position excellent. I have always had good service from John Grose Ipswich.

Downsides: not a lot of rear leg room, firm suspension (which I like, but most might not!), a bit noisy on rubbish road surfaces (but, you're not paying Lexus money), unglamorous choice...
t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 13:12 - May 17 with 888 viewsjaykay

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 12:38 - May 17 by Freddies_Ears

I have a Ford Puma. Don't worry about only being a 1 litre engine; the 125bhp is fine, and the 150ish bhp can be fun (i have had both). I have done around 50,000 miles (35,000 + 15000 from new) with no mechanical or electrical issues at all.

Upsides: handling is great, almost up with Mini / BMW, boot is huge, given the vast underfloor box, economy around or just over 50mpg on long drives or 45mpg in town, equipment level is good, front seats comfortable, driving position excellent. I have always had good service from John Grose Ipswich.

Downsides: not a lot of rear leg room, firm suspension (which I like, but most might not!), a bit noisy on rubbish road surfaces (but, you're not paying Lexus money), unglamorous choice...

thanks for answering my ? i forgot to ask in my post , do the likes of john grose do a deal if you offer below asking price

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 13:16 - May 17 with 883 viewsfactual_blue

Also, if the motoring hive know whereabouts my missing car key is, I'd be very grateful.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 13:56 - May 17 with 812 viewsEJP

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 13:12 - May 17 by jaykay

thanks for answering my ? i forgot to ask in my post , do the likes of john grose do a deal if you offer below asking price

In my experience, no! Gone are the days where deals and/or discounts were to be found, or paying with "cash" helped - now it's all how much they can make on the finance deals.

Reference: I changed my car twice since July of last year and none of the dealers were interested in haggling ...
t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 14:00 - May 17 with 801 viewsGlasgowBlue

One of my kids just got a great deal on the MG ZS which is a small SUV. 30% deposit 0% APR. Think it was £21k. Nice car.

edit. Sorry, read as you wanting to buy it new by mistake. Think Motorpoint have a few of these at a decent price. Great spec inside.
[Post edited 17 May 14:00]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 14:04 - May 17 with 788 viewsZx1988

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 13:56 - May 17 by EJP

In my experience, no! Gone are the days where deals and/or discounts were to be found, or paying with "cash" helped - now it's all how much they can make on the finance deals.

Reference: I changed my car twice since July of last year and none of the dealers were interested in haggling ...

I remember reading somewhere recently that deals are only really there to be had these days if you take out finance.

If you want to be sneaky about it, suggest that you'll take the car on finance and encourage them to sweeten the deal for you. Once you've bled them dry and signed the paperwork, exercise your 14-day right to cancel the finance agreement, and pay the balance off in full.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 14:21 - May 17 with 759 viewsSwansea_Blue

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 13:56 - May 17 by EJP

This has been my experience from elsewhere. I’ve found it’s best to shop around at the outset to see which garages offer reasonable forecourt prices. Some seem to be very competitive and regularly tweak prices to remain so, others not so much. I saved a good £2k doing this lately (but did have to travel to Oxford to pick up the car). I’d have paid more for an 18 month older car in Swansea.

To the OP, best advice I could give is find something in your price range and arrange a test drive. If you don’t mind/care about cars, you’re in a good position. Just test drive something and if you like it, job done. No need to start comparing to other models. You don’t need to find the perfect car, just one you can live with.

We’ve just done this and ended up with a Seat Arona. For no particular reason other than it’s fine and I couldn’t be bothered to trawl around loads of different brands.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 14:32 - May 17 with 722 viewsScotBlue

If you are looking at used I would suggest going down the Autotrader route or other online website allowing you more choice and easy to compare. Working for What Car? we gave the Ford Puma the overall car of the year award a few years back and it is a great little car. There is a new version due out in a few months so there may be some increased deals on the current model although speaking to many Ford dealers the stock is few and far between. I drive an electric Kona and it is great when there is just me and the good lady however with a rugby playing son there is very little leg room in the back. Boot is OK but we have ex racing greyhounds and there is no way they will get in the car. I belive the petrol models are exactly the same.
Login to get fewer ads

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 15:03 - May 17 with 671 viewsdavblue

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 14:21 - May 17 by Swansea_Blue

This has been my experience from elsewhere. I’ve found it’s best to shop around at the outset to see which garages offer reasonable forecourt prices. Some seem to be very competitive and regularly tweak prices to remain so, others not so much. I saved a good £2k doing this lately (but did have to travel to Oxford to pick up the car). I’d have paid more for an 18 month older car in Swansea.

To the OP, best advice I could give is find something in your price range and arrange a test drive. If you don’t mind/care about cars, you’re in a good position. Just test drive something and if you like it, job done. No need to start comparing to other models. You don’t need to find the perfect car, just one you can live with.

We’ve just done this and ended up with a Seat Arona. For no particular reason other than it’s fine and I couldn’t be bothered to trawl around loads of different brands.

as i've got older i've found myself being less bothered by what car i drive.

Im earning more than when i was younger but i can't be bothered to spend a huge amount on a car anymore. 5 and a half years ago i got an Corsa 08 plate for my trips to the train station and i've ended up spending probably 3-3.5k on it over that period and it was making a few noises recently, so i thought i would look around. looked online and CarWow said it was worth £960, had someone collect it and knock off £160 quid.

I then got a brand new Corsa in the Ultimate range, with 5000 miles a year for £1800 down payment and £157 a month, didn't even test drive it, no battering either, that was the price take it or leave it.

I wanted to go electric but they are so expensive and for me just using it around town and on little trips it was money not worth spending.
t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 15:10 - May 17 with 643 viewsDeano69

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 14:04 - May 17 by Zx1988

I remember reading somewhere recently that deals are only really there to be had these days if you take out finance.

If you want to be sneaky about it, suggest that you'll take the car on finance and encourage them to sweeten the deal for you. Once you've bled them dry and signed the paperwork, exercise your 14-day right to cancel the finance agreement, and pay the balance off in full.

We helped my daughter buy a used polo a few months back, we had the money to buy it, but was suggested I consider financing it as you got 2 years free Warranty, 2 Years Free Servicing, 2 Years Free Roadside assistance and 2 Years MoT's.

Financed and paid it off 2 days later, £14 interest extra...

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 15:13 - May 17 with 625 viewssuffolkpoker

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 15:10 - May 17 by Deano69

We helped my daughter buy a used polo a few months back, we had the money to buy it, but was suggested I consider financing it as you got 2 years free Warranty, 2 Years Free Servicing, 2 Years Free Roadside assistance and 2 Years MoT's.

That my friend is called clever money.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 16:27 - May 17 with 534 viewsEJP

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 15:10 - May 17 by Deano69

I was going to do something similar with Volvo (In fact the salesman suggested it), but once I read the fine print I found all the "extras" were dependent on the finance agreement staying in place.

Alternatively, take it out, pay off a large amount, leave the payment so it's £1 a month for the rest of the deal ... but again, check the paperwork as another dealer I looked at (cant remember who, I looked at so many!) had a clause where you could only pay off up to a certain amount.
t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 16:36 - May 17 with 515 viewsSwansea_Blue

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 15:03 - May 17 by davblue

as i've got older i've found myself being less bothered by what car i drive.

Im earning more than when i was younger but i can't be bothered to spend a huge amount on a car anymore. 5 and a half years ago i got an Corsa 08 plate for my trips to the train station and i've ended up spending probably 3-3.5k on it over that period and it was making a few noises recently, so i thought i would look around. looked online and CarWow said it was worth £960, had someone collect it and knock off £160 quid.

I then got a brand new Corsa in the Ultimate range, with 5000 miles a year for £1800 down payment and £157 a month, didn't even test drive it, no battering either, that was the price take it or leave it.

I wanted to go electric but they are so expensive and for me just using it around town and on little trips it was money not worth spending.

I'm very much like that. Prefer minimum hassle and time spent looking for a car these days. I didn't test our latest one. Saw it was low mileage, very good price, included extended warranty from main dealer and though yeah, sod it, that'll do. No haggling as the price was good already. It was very easy. Stupidly easy really.

I've just contradicted my advice for taking it for a test drive, but I'm impulsive sometimes so also I also recommend people don't follow my recommendations!

Electric are still nuts aren't they. I was half tempted, but then we decided we wanted a manual for our smaller car so the lad can learn to drive next year in a manual.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 16:41 - May 17 with 502 viewsjontysnut

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 13:12 - May 17 by jaykay

In my recent experience not so much now. There are delivery delays on new cars so second hand prices are a sellers market - unless you're buying from Arthur Daley. I've used Autopoint and was quite happy. They claim that sales people aren't paid on commission and rely on customer feedback for bonuses etc. Price was more or less what it was on the window. Never had the confidence to buy privately myself as I don't know much about motors and worry about the risk of buying a clunker.
t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 16:43 - May 17 with 497 viewsNewcyBlue

Some tips for buying used

Used car buying by NewcyBlue 14 Oct 2020 7:11
Last week I went and viewed a Ford S Max, 2011, top spec, with lots of optional extras.

Perfect.

I pretty much followed my own used car buying guide, that I've posted in other threads. See below, if you're interested.

I'm buying this from a Fiat and Jeep main dealer. They took it in for P-EX for a Jeep.

It ran rough on starting. I took it for a test drive and it was smoking, white smoke. Unburnt fuel entering the exhaust. 1.6 diesel. I got it warm, smoke disappeared and it ran fine. My assessment was that it would most likely be glow plugs. Easy enough to test with a multimeter and a few tools. About a 20 minute job all in really.

I get an email from the garage saying they started it, warmed it up, and say there is no fault. It's a cold start issue, why would there be a fault when it's warm....

They say it's ready for collection today at 1500. I'll go in, open the bonnet, and if the radiator hoses and engine are warm, I'll walk away. It'll tell me that they've warmed it up so the cold start issue is hidden whilst I buy it.

Should I tell them that I'm a fully qualified mechanic with 6 years experience?!

It's an eight thousand pound car that I am paying cash for. It's got the 1.6 diesel engine which is from the PSA factory, an engine I am trained on and know extremely well.

My used car buying guide that I have posted on other threads:

-Open the bonnet when you get there. Have a feel of the radiator hose. If it is hot they may have run the car up to cover up cold start problems, engine noises, etc
-Look for any oil on the engine block, pull the dipstick out and check the colour of the oil. Open the oil filler cap and see if there is any sludge / mayonnaise looking stuff. The mayonnaise stuff may just be condensation, or it may be something more sinister.
-When starting the car look for excessive exhaust fumes, different coloured smoke means different things.
-Bodywork, is it all the same colour. Does any of the paint look like orange peel? The orange peel effect is from a poor paintjob, and could be a sign of a previous accident.
-Are there any differing gaps between any of the panels? Does it look the same on both sides?
-Are the door and window seals in tact?
-Check to see all warning lights come on when turning the ignition on, ensure they extinguish upon starting the engine.
-Does the clutch feel ok? Is there any noise at any point of depressing the clutch pedal?
-When driving is there any excessive play in the steering? Do the brakes work adequately? Are there any unusual noises? Does the steering wobble at speed or under heavy braking? When braking does the car pull to one side?
-Check all equipment is working, lights, wipers, washers, ventilation, windows, mirrors, central locking.
-Check the wheels and tyres. Are locking wheel nuts fitted? If so is the locking wheel nut key with the car?. Check the tread on the tyres. Check the sidewall for bulges
-Paperwork, check service history. Anything 60k plus and you want to be checking if the cambelt has been changed. Check the V5C for spelling mistakes, does the address match the one of the seller. Is the seller the registered keeper? If not, why?

Remember the DVLA MOT Check website is worth a look too. At that sort of money you want to be getting It HPI checked etc.

Drive a couple of the same car (year, engine, spec, mileage). Does one feel noticeably different? That should raise questions.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 20:37 - May 17 with 370 viewsCoastalblue

t.w.t.d. motoring hive on 16:43 - May 17 by NewcyBlue

Some tips for buying used

Used car buying by NewcyBlue 14 Oct 2020 7:11
Last week I went and viewed a Ford S Max, 2011, top spec, with lots of optional extras.

Perfect.

I pretty much followed my own used car buying guide, that I've posted in other threads. See below, if you're interested.

I'm buying this from a Fiat and Jeep main dealer. They took it in for P-EX for a Jeep.

It ran rough on starting. I took it for a test drive and it was smoking, white smoke. Unburnt fuel entering the exhaust. 1.6 diesel. I got it warm, smoke disappeared and it ran fine. My assessment was that it would most likely be glow plugs. Easy enough to test with a multimeter and a few tools. About a 20 minute job all in really.

I get an email from the garage saying they started it, warmed it up, and say there is no fault. It's a cold start issue, why would there be a fault when it's warm....

They say it's ready for collection today at 1500. I'll go in, open the bonnet, and if the radiator hoses and engine are warm, I'll walk away. It'll tell me that they've warmed it up so the cold start issue is hidden whilst I buy it.

Should I tell them that I'm a fully qualified mechanic with 6 years experience?!

It's an eight thousand pound car that I am paying cash for. It's got the 1.6 diesel engine which is from the PSA factory, an engine I am trained on and know extremely well.

My used car buying guide that I have posted on other threads:

-Open the bonnet when you get there. Have a feel of the radiator hose. If it is hot they may have run the car up to cover up cold start problems, engine noises, etc
-Look for any oil on the engine block, pull the dipstick out and check the colour of the oil. Open the oil filler cap and see if there is any sludge / mayonnaise looking stuff. The mayonnaise stuff may just be condensation, or it may be something more sinister.
-When starting the car look for excessive exhaust fumes, different coloured smoke means different things.
-Bodywork, is it all the same colour. Does any of the paint look like orange peel? The orange peel effect is from a poor paintjob, and could be a sign of a previous accident.
-Are there any differing gaps between any of the panels? Does it look the same on both sides?
-Are the door and window seals in tact?
-Check to see all warning lights come on when turning the ignition on, ensure they extinguish upon starting the engine.
-Does the clutch feel ok? Is there any noise at any point of depressing the clutch pedal?
-When driving is there any excessive play in the steering? Do the brakes work adequately? Are there any unusual noises? Does the steering wobble at speed or under heavy braking? When braking does the car pull to one side?
-Check all equipment is working, lights, wipers, washers, ventilation, windows, mirrors, central locking.
-Check the wheels and tyres. Are locking wheel nuts fitted? If so is the locking wheel nut key with the car?. Check the tread on the tyres. Check the sidewall for bulges
-Paperwork, check service history. Anything 60k plus and you want to be checking if the cambelt has been changed. Check the V5C for spelling mistakes, does the address match the one of the seller. Is the seller the registered keeper? If not, why?

Remember the DVLA MOT Check website is worth a look too. At that sort of money you want to be getting It HPI checked etc.

Drive a couple of the same car (year, engine, spec, mileage). Does one feel noticeably different? That should raise questions.

See that's just mean. What happened with the S Max? Was it warm? Did you buy it? Do you still have it?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024