Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
IBS 12:25 - Nov 5 with 2338 viewsSwailsey

Sorry for the TMI information, but is anyone else a sufferer? I was diagnosed last year and have a particularly debilitating case of it, and am feeling my world becoming very small of late. I am seeing nutritionists and trying FODMAP etc, but it’s really taking a toll on my MH recently.

If anyone has any words of advice/coping strategies for the emotional side of it, it would be great to hear as I’m spending yet another day on the couch with a heat pad after getting 3 hours sleep.

PMs open. Thank you x
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 12:25]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

IBS on 12:50 - Nov 5 with 2230 viewsRyorry

You mean IBD, ie inflammatory bowel disease?

Have had ulcerative colitis (same as Crohn’s disease but lower down the gut) for 34 years. Feel free to PM me.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

IBS on 12:53 - Nov 5 with 2216 viewsNthsuffolkblue

IBS on 12:50 - Nov 5 by Ryorry

Have had ulcerative colitis (same as Crohn’s disease but lower down the gut) for 34 years. Feel free to PM me.

IBS is Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

I know a sufferer and it is horrible. I think most people couldn't imagine how much effect it has on someone's life.

I really feel for you, Swailes. I wish I could have some practical advice but all I can say is I hope you get good help for it and have many more good days than bad ones. Always remember there will be some better days ahead when it is bad. Do things you enjoy as far as you can in order to help your mental health.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

IBS on 13:06 - Nov 5 with 2166 viewsBlueBadger

Yes, but thankfully only mildly. That's miserable enough when it happens so you have my utmost sympathies and a manly internet hug.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

IBS (n/t) on 13:11 - Nov 5 with 2152 viewsexeterblue10

[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 13:19]
IBS on 19:44 - Nov 5 with 1974 viewsSwailsey

Thank you all, and for the PMs.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

IBS on 20:05 - Nov 5 with 1930 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

There seems to at last be more and more understanding about the interconnectedness of organ health,
https://www.theibsnetwork.org/blog/ibs-and-mental-health/#:~:text=IBS%20is%20clo
This is only a guess but I reckon a combination of time outdoors and probiotics/water kefir/kombucha might help. The nerva app might help too says Miss Slave.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

IBS on 20:29 - Nov 5 with 1894 viewsbex

Can totally relate, I've struggled with IBS for over a decade. Mine has improved in the past year but still isn't great - but shows it can improve! I followed a low fodmap diet with a dietitian and have now gone past the exclusion phase and have personalised it but still can't eat certain things. It totally can affect your mental health in so many ways, feeling rubbish physically can make you feel bad mentally but also socially, not feeling like going out or being able to eat out with others can definitely feel like a bit of a lonely place. Just want to say that you are definitely not alone. What i do for work is very focussed on this area and there is a huge community of thousands and thousands of us who all can totally relate x
IBS on 21:21 - Nov 5 with 1797 viewsronnyd

My daughter-in-law has lived with IBS ever since i've known her. Her way of coping is that she found the foods that affect her the least and then stick firmly to those. She never eats out and my son is the only one to cook her food. Strangely, alcohol doesn't seem to have an effect on her condition. Good luck with finding what works for you.
Login to get fewer ads

IBS on 21:33 - Nov 5 with 1756 viewsBuhrer

Thumbed up wishing you the best dealing with this difficult disease. Some one very close to me suffers from ulcerative collitis and I have seen how debilitating and difficult it is. As well as continuing taking tablets forever they now swear a keto diet and fasting has drastically reduced their pain/discomfort symptoms.
IBS on 23:55 - Nov 5 with 1629 viewsChurchman

IBS isn’t something I know anything about but the condition sounds as miserable as hell. I’m sure you will find what works best to mitigate it (poor words), hopefully sooner rather than later. Keep at it with the nutritionists and anything else out there that might help.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2023 23:55]
IBS on 06:47 - Nov 6 with 1517 viewsSwailsey

Thank you

IBS on 06:47 - Nov 6 with 1517 viewsSwailsey

IBS on 20:05 - Nov 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

There seems to at last be more and more understanding about the interconnectedness of organ health,
https://www.theibsnetwork.org/blog/ibs-and-mental-health/#:~:text=IBS%20is%20clo
This is only a guess but I reckon a combination of time outdoors and probiotics/water kefir/kombucha might help. The nerva app might help too says Miss Slave.

Hey, thanks. I’ll check the app out.

IBS on 06:48 - Nov 6 with 1515 viewsSwailsey

IBS on 20:29 - Nov 5 by bex

Can totally relate, I've struggled with IBS for over a decade. Mine has improved in the past year but still isn't great - but shows it can improve! I followed a low fodmap diet with a dietitian and have now gone past the exclusion phase and have personalised it but still can't eat certain things. It totally can affect your mental health in so many ways, feeling rubbish physically can make you feel bad mentally but also socially, not feeling like going out or being able to eat out with others can definitely feel like a bit of a lonely place. Just want to say that you are definitely not alone. What i do for work is very focussed on this area and there is a huge community of thousands and thousands of us who all can totally relate x

Thank you for this reply. I’m sorry you struggle too but these words do provide comfort.

IBS on 07:04 - Nov 6 with 1493 viewsPippin1970

My misses has it for yrs . Usual medication from doctors and tests. I did lots of research. In the end high fibre diet and eliminating certain foods improved it . Exercise is key too. Peppermint tablets are useful too. Good luck.
IBS on 08:20 - Nov 6 with 1420 viewsRyorry

IBS on 21:33 - Nov 5 by Buhrer

Thumbed up wishing you the best dealing with this difficult disease. Some one very close to me suffers from ulcerative collitis and I have seen how debilitating and difficult it is. As well as continuing taking tablets forever they now swear a keto diet and fasting has drastically reduced their pain/discomfort symptoms.

Thanks for the support, appreciated 👍

IBS on 08:53 - Nov 6 with 1384 viewsRyorry

IBS on 20:29 - Nov 5 by bex

Sounds like IBS & IBD sufferers have much in common in the effects of their illness, especially re how socially isolating it can be, particularly for single people (imagine having to explain to someone why you can’t go out to dinner with them!); and particularly since food/drink seem to be an integral part of most social events these days.

Some eateries have become more understanding over recent years and will cook a simple snack like poached eggs on peeled baked spud for you if there’s nothing on their menu that’s OK for you. Some organisers of local events will do likewise, or let you bring your own food.

Re diets - never was it truer that everyone’s different! The dairy recommended by some is a massive no no for me, would cause an immediate flare-up. Ditto lots of roughage. Don’t go by what others say, you *have* to find out for yourself by exclusion diets for up to 5 weeks per ingredient.

If it’s any consolation, as you become more experienced in what you can and can’t get away with, things become easier to manage. Support groups or just talking with others can be invaluable, as already recommended by others. For IBD, the Crohns & UC Society (sorry can’t remember exact name) is superb for advice.

Edit: just to add that although my reply above started out as a response to you, the rest of it was meant as a general reply to the thread - you yourself seem to already have covered many of the bases I mentioned 👍
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 9:31]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024