Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any sparkies on here 17:32 - Jul 23 with 1635 viewsredrickstuhaart

Main switch keeps tripping. Its been doing it about once every ten days or so for a few weeks. This afternoon, 5 times. Just the main switch and none of the individual circuit ones, which seems odd. Presumably one of the others should pop too if there is an issue on any particular circuit.
Any sparkies on here on 18:35 - Jul 23 with 1543 viewsCoastalblue

I am, but not worked as such in 10 years plus so rusty, and at the thick end of a few beverages so not going to offer too much advice here.

But

When you say main switch, is it just a switch or an RCD do you know? Do you have one or two 'main switches' in the board?

Happy to DM if you like

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Any sparkies on here on 19:06 - Jul 23 with 1484 viewsredrickstuhaart

Any sparkies on here on 18:35 - Jul 23 by Coastalblue

I am, but not worked as such in 10 years plus so rusty, and at the thick end of a few beverages so not going to offer too much advice here.

But

When you say main switch, is it just a switch or an RCD do you know? Do you have one or two 'main switches' in the board?

Happy to DM if you like

Don't know. 11 switches in the board. The big master one is the only one that is tripping. Seems to have settled again now.

Suspect I'll have to get a man in...
Any sparkies on here on 22:34 - Jul 23 with 1317 viewsronnyd

Had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. Isolated different appliances and moved some to plug in different sockets but still kept tripping out every few days. Got a sparky in to test the consumer unit and he found that the main switch module had broken down over time. He fitted a new module and it's been fine since. Hope you sort it ok.
Any sparkies on here on 07:26 - Jul 24 with 1192 viewsDBaldy

You might need to ask that question on a tripswitch fan site instead of here.

(Sorry can't help you either)
Any sparkies on here on 07:40 - Jul 24 with 1167 viewsBluish

I had a similar issue a few years back. Tried to pinpoint what was causing it one appliance or device at a time, but no joy there. Electrician suggested that the mains voltage was higher than normal and UK Power Networks confirmed this and turned it down (or whatever they did). Been fine since.
Any sparkies on here on 13:16 - Jul 24 with 936 viewsEireannach_gorm

Any sparkies on here on 18:35 - Jul 23 by Coastalblue

But

Happy to DM if you like

Had this problem a few years ago and it turned out to be a corroded immersion heater.
Any sparkies on here on 16:15 - Jul 24 with 825 viewsronnyd

So many different possible causes, so it's best left to an expert with the relevant certification.
Any sparkies on here on 19:08 - Jul 24 with 735 viewsCoastalblue

Any sparkies on here on 13:16 - Jul 24 by Eireannach_gorm

Had this problem a few years ago and it turned out to be a corroded immersion heater.

Heating elements are often the cause of this, especially in hard water areas. fridges another one that can cause these sorts of annoying intermittent issues.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024