Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's it all about? 12:09 - Jan 18 with 2669 viewsDJR

Huw Merriman, the rail minister, told MPs this morning that the government has lost more money due to the impact of rail strikes than it would have cost to settle the disputes months ago.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/rail-minister-admits-train-strikes-26
[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 12:13]
What's it all about? on 12:24 - Jan 18 with 1795 viewsBlueBadger

It's almost as if they are a bunch pf posturing, dogma driven incompetents who aren't fit to run for a bus, let alone the country.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What's it all about? on 12:42 - Jan 18 with 1760 viewsDJR

What's it all about? on 12:24 - Jan 18 by BlueBadger

It's almost as if they are a bunch pf posturing, dogma driven incompetents who aren't fit to run for a bus, let alone the country.

And it's not just the cost to the government. There is the adverse impact on the economy in the form of, say, businesses in the West End suffering loss of trade in the lead up to Christmas. And the environmental impact because I have to take a 200 mile car trip to home games, when the trains aren't running.
What's it all about? on 12:48 - Jan 18 with 1747 viewsIpswichRising

So what you are saying is let's just pay them what they want, and have everyone holding the country to ransom, that will end well
What's it all about? on 12:52 - Jan 18 with 1712 viewsDJR

What's it all about? on 12:48 - Jan 18 by IpswichRising

So what you are saying is let's just pay them what they want, and have everyone holding the country to ransom, that will end well

Not what they want, but a little more than they've been offered, which I'm sure they would have accepted.

Anyway we are currently being "held to ransom" with the strikes going ahead, when that needn't have been the case.
What's it all about? on 13:14 - Jan 18 with 1658 viewsChurchman

People withdrawing their labour because they are not keen on a pay cut, in real terms, is not holding the country to ransom. If they can, they should do it. Clapping for the NHS doesn’t put food on the table. It’s people exercising their right, which people have struggled and died for since the 19c. It’s what should happen in a democracy.

The current mob have crashed the economy in a number of different ways. They’ve created the problem and want the plebs to pay for it while they fill their boots on expenses, seats in boardrooms, russian cash etc etc before earning £1m on the lecture circuit in three months flat (Johnson).
What's it all about? on 13:16 - Jan 18 with 1641 viewsBlueBadger

Or, we could have negotiated, settled and sorted MONTHS ago and saved everyone a lot of wasted time and money.

What is it you like best about the Tories - the corruption, the bigotry, the incompetence or the criminality?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

What's it all about? on 13:20 - Jan 18 with 1604 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

I’ve tried to Google this, but I’m still unclear (so can anyone enlighten me) as to why the dispute is with the govt rather than the (mostly) private companies that pay the railway workers salaries? What am I missing?
What's it all about? on 13:25 - Jan 18 with 1581 viewsgiant_stow

What's it all about? on 13:20 - Jan 18 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I’ve tried to Google this, but I’m still unclear (so can anyone enlighten me) as to why the dispute is with the govt rather than the (mostly) private companies that pay the railway workers salaries? What am I missing?

I think its because the railways take in something like £5b in revenue but cost about £15b to run. So more money means more govt subsidy. Someone will have to check those figures though as it was just something I read ages back.

Personally, I can side easily with all other strikers but them. I think we need a national sensible conversation about how much govt should spend on rail, given that many people can't / won't ever use trains, especially up north.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

What's it all about? on 13:28 - Jan 18 with 1535 viewsBlueBadger

What's it all about? on 13:25 - Jan 18 by giant_stow

I think its because the railways take in something like £5b in revenue but cost about £15b to run. So more money means more govt subsidy. Someone will have to check those figures though as it was just something I read ages back.

Personally, I can side easily with all other strikers but them. I think we need a national sensible conversation about how much govt should spend on rail, given that many people can't / won't ever use trains, especially up north.

Moe people would probably use the railways if they were properly staffed, reliable and affordable. With knock on effects for pollution, town centre congestion, energy costs....

What's it all about? on 13:36 - Jan 18 with 1506 viewsIpswichRising

What's it all about? on 13:14 - Jan 18 by Churchman

People withdrawing their labour because they are not keen on a pay cut, in real terms, is not holding the country to ransom. If they can, they should do it. Clapping for the NHS doesn’t put food on the table. It’s people exercising their right, which people have struggled and died for since the 19c. It’s what should happen in a democracy.

The current mob have crashed the economy in a number of different ways. They’ve created the problem and want the plebs to pay for it while they fill their boots on expenses, seats in boardrooms, russian cash etc etc before earning £1m on the lecture circuit in three months flat (Johnson).

Can you remind me how much Tony Blair got when he stepped down
What's it all about? on 13:37 - Jan 18 with 1486 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Ah okay thanks - fits with the govt mantra of subsidising private profits then!

I’m undecided on your last point - there is merit in what you say, e.g poorer people who don’t use the railways subsidising better off commuters.

That said I think the railways should be nationalised since 1) we are sinking vast amounts of money into them anyway 2) it cuts out profit margin from the cost 3) unlike other privatised industries there is no competition anyway. If you use a rail line there’s no other train operators to choose from.
What's it all about? on 13:38 - Jan 18 with 1478 viewshomer_123

What's it all about? on 13:36 - Jan 18 by IpswichRising

What has that got to do with the price of bread?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What's it all about? on 13:39 - Jan 18 with 1470 viewsBlueBadger

Smashing combination of whatabouttery and irrelevant nonsense there. Well played.

What is it you like best about the Tories, the bigotry the incompetence, the criminality or the corruption?

What's it all about? on 13:40 - Jan 18 with 1459 viewsDJR

What's it all about? on 13:20 - Jan 18 by SuperKieranMcKenna

My understanding is that there are separate disputes involving Network Rail and the Train Operating Companies.

Network Rail is a public body at arm's length from the Department of Transport. As such it probably what would once have been called nationalised.

As regards the Train Operating Companies, my understanding is that rail franchising ended due to the financial problems cause by Covid, and that currently it is the government which picks up the costs of running the trains, with the Train Operating Companies being paid a mangagement fee.
What's it all about? on 13:41 - Jan 18 with 1459 viewsIpswichRising

What's it all about? on 13:39 - Jan 18 by BlueBadger

Smashing combination of whatabouttery and irrelevant nonsense there. Well played.

What is it you like best about the Tories, the bigotry the incompetence, the criminality or the corruption?

Sounds like you are talking about all politicians. I don't recall that I said that I did like the Tories
What's it all about? on 13:41 - Jan 18 with 1457 viewsBlueBadger

What's it all about? on 13:38 - Jan 18 by homer_123

What has that got to do with the price of bread?

Standard Kremlin troll factory drone tactics innit. No actual point to make, not interested in properly debating, Just derailing.

He'll probably end up crying about people bullying him by the time the thread hits three pages.

What's it all about? on 13:44 - Jan 18 with 1439 viewsBlueBadger

What's it all about? on 13:41 - Jan 18 by IpswichRising

Sounds like you are talking about all politicians. I don't recall that I said that I did like the Tories

I notice you're not actually debating anyone who's responded to your original point, just chucking out the standard right-wing tactics that you think are cunning and unnoticed tactics.

If you could see your way to saying 'I'm just asking questions' or 'I voted Labour last time out' in reply to this, I could fill a line on my Kremlin Troll Factory Bongo card then at least I won't be completely wasting my time here whilst I'm busy making a cake for my colleagues on the picket lines.

[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 13:48]

What's it all about? on 13:46 - Jan 18 with 1420 viewsgiant_stow

What's it all about? on 13:28 - Jan 18 by BlueBadger

Moe people would probably use the railways if they were properly staffed, reliable and affordable. With knock on effects for pollution, town centre congestion, energy costs....

Yeah, this is true, but unless we open up new lines everywhere, many will never have the option.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

What's it all about? on 13:48 - Jan 18 with 1401 viewsgiant_stow

What's it all about? on 13:37 - Jan 18 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Ah okay thanks - fits with the govt mantra of subsidising private profits then!

I’m undecided on your last point - there is merit in what you say, e.g poorer people who don’t use the railways subsidising better off commuters.

That said I think the railways should be nationalised since 1) we are sinking vast amounts of money into them anyway 2) it cuts out profit margin from the cost 3) unlike other privatised industries there is no competition anyway. If you use a rail line there’s no other train operators to choose from.

Yeah there should be no profit-taking in the rail industry as there's none to take. Nationalise them, but don't pay for the privilege.

What's it all about? on 13:51 - Jan 18 with 1385 viewsChurchman

Blair left office what, 15 years ago? What relevance is that? If you want to start a thread criticising Blair, Brown and co, be my guest. I’ll happily join in. But that’s not really relevant to this thread, in my view.

When we’ve finished with Blair, how about we have a look at Thatcher or Churchill’s financially rewarding books on history which were largely rubbish? I’m sure Lloyd George did a bit if we have a dig and as for that Disraeli fella - flash git.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 13:55]
What's it all about? on 13:53 - Jan 18 with 1373 viewsBlueBadger

What's it all about? on 13:51 - Jan 18 by Churchman

Blair left office what, 15 years ago? What relevance is that? If you want to start a thread criticising Blair, Brown and co, be my guest. I’ll happily join in. But that’s not really relevant to this thread, in my view.

When we’ve finished with Blair, how about we have a look at Thatcher or Churchill’s financially rewarding books on history which were largely rubbish? I’m sure Lloyd George did a bit if we have a dig and as for that Disraeli fella - flash git.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 13:55]

From the Toilet Bloo school of trolling innit.

Nothing actually to add, but seeking to derail, because people are mocking and criticising the government that his bosses in Moscow have been donating money to.

What's it all about? on 14:01 - Jan 18 with 1336 viewsChurchman

What's it all about? on 13:53 - Jan 18 by BlueBadger

Nothing actually to add, but seeking to derail, because people are mocking and criticising the government that his bosses in Moscow have been donating money to.

It is.

There ought to be an investigation followed by public inquiry on Russian money donated to the Tory party. The stench of corruption, especially in light of the Russian invasion, is still wafting about. It’s not gone away in my book. As according to them there’s nothing to hide I’m surprised it’s not been started already ….yeah, right.
What's it all about? on 14:02 - Jan 18 with 1330 viewsIpswichRising

What's it all about? on 13:53 - Jan 18 by BlueBadger

Love the reference to derail when the thread started about rail workers, that must have taken you ages to come up with, be careful that you don't go off track
What's it all about? on 14:11 - Jan 18 with 1283 viewsBlueBadger

What's it all about? on 14:02 - Jan 18 by IpswichRising

Love the reference to derail when the thread started about rail workers, that must have taken you ages to come up with, be careful that you don't go off track

Careful Roger, you nearly strayed into adding something relevant there.

What's it all about? on 14:17 - Jan 18 with 1249 viewsHARRY10

Whatever thise figures it should not be forgotten that subsidies in real terms have increased since privatisation

That most UK rail companies are owned by foreig companies (state owned)

DSo the UK is paying DEU companies to run our railways - a fragmented and, disjointed system that each has its board of ditrectors needing paying.

But don't let those fcts stop you. Or that tain dtivers are not on anymore than those naughty foreigners pay their drivers. Perhaps they can afford to because the UK government is paying them to run UK companies.

Now why not cut the Daily Mail nonsense and ask yourself why is it OK to pay dividends to EU countries, but not pay UK workers ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024