Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rail tickets - Any tips? 17:48 - Nov 17 with 1681 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Hive Mind if you please.

I have landed myself a new job (thank you) which involves me being in London 2 days a week (currently east Mids based) , even at 2 days a week the cost of travel will be more than my mortgage each month! That seems plain wrong to me.

Can anything be done or do I need to just suck it up?

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Rail tickets - Any tips? on 17:51 - Nov 17 with 1641 viewsFixed_It

Callis has the answer.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Rail tickets - Any tips? on 18:08 - Nov 17 with 1605 viewsHARRY10

tried this ?

https://www.splitmyfare.co.uk/
Rail tickets - Any tips? on 18:30 - Nov 17 with 1575 viewsjontysnut

If you're travelling on East Midlands they do a partial season ticket something like any 8 days in 25.
Rail tickets - Any tips? on 18:33 - Nov 17 with 1572 viewstextbackup

ask the company to pay you a bit more to cover the travel cost hit?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Rail tickets - Any tips? on 18:52 - Nov 17 with 1538 viewsSpringfielder

Do you have any flexibility on when your 2 days a week can be?
If so, can you get a weekly pass on say, thurs, and do the thurs/fri that week then 2 days out of mon-weds the next week so you get benefit of a weekly pass but spread over 2 weeks
Rail tickets - Any tips? on 19:16 - Nov 17 with 1512 viewshoppy

Are you able to work flexibly, ie start and finish a bit later to travel off peak, and benefit from savings that way?

For a while, a few years back now, I used to work in london 4 days, and at home in Ipswich 1 day, so I travelled down first off peak train on the Monday, stay overnight, and back on first off peak train Tuesday evening, work at home Wednesday and then do the same thing Thursday through to Friday, so only had 2 off peak return tickets per week.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Rail tickets - Any tips? on 19:27 - Nov 17 with 1488 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Thanks all.

Good points.

The journey splitting I have thought about but feels like a lot of life admin to do it two takes a week. Depends how much I'll save i suppose, will look at it.

More money, had that conversation and they have pushed the boat out for me as a result. Its the principle rather than the cost.

Half season ticket, I didn't know about will look at it, might be a good shout.

Off peak yes I'll be aim to be in early so a 7.30 train maybe earlier but I'll want the flexibility of being able to get on what ever train suits.

Much to consider

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Rail tickets - Any tips? on 19:29 - Nov 17 with 1472 viewsVaughan8

Rail tickets - Any tips? on 19:16 - Nov 17 by hoppy

Are you able to work flexibly, ie start and finish a bit later to travel off peak, and benefit from savings that way?

For a while, a few years back now, I used to work in london 4 days, and at home in Ipswich 1 day, so I travelled down first off peak train on the Monday, stay overnight, and back on first off peak train Tuesday evening, work at home Wednesday and then do the same thing Thursday through to Friday, so only had 2 off peak return tickets per week.

The fact you could stay overnight in London 2 days and it was cheaper is baffling.

Trains are so expensive. I'm glad I don't have to use them very often.

I know London is where the money is but I'd rather earn less and not work there.
Login to get fewer ads

Rail tickets - Any tips? on 19:54 - Nov 17 with 1426 viewsHARRY10

Rail tickets - Any tips? on 19:29 - Nov 17 by Vaughan8

The fact you could stay overnight in London 2 days and it was cheaper is baffling.

I know London is where the money is but I'd rather earn less and not work there.

I suspect that the reason is expensive is in part due to the cost of living, or getting, there
Rail tickets - Any tips? on 20:12 - Nov 17 with 1387 viewsmonytowbray

Rail tickets - Any tips? on 18:33 - Nov 17 by textbackup

ask the company to pay you a bit more to cover the travel cost hit?

This is the best first choice.

I will say skipping fare is harder for regular rush hour, and even harder with London When I commuted for work via train I used to get the monthly ST, but it was £240 a month (in 2016) between Stow & Scum. Alas I did used to use it a lot to get through the gates and then go the other way towards London for as far as I could.

Say you tried to bunk it, periodically you're gonna have to get a ticket to the nearest station to get in/out of the gate. It's a risk when you have somewhere to be at a specific time and do it regular enough for all those little purchases to add up.

I got from Ipswich to Basingstoke and back on a fiver the other day :)

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Rail tickets - Any tips? on 21:28 - Nov 17 with 1284 viewsdavblue

Rail tickets - Any tips? on 19:27 - Nov 17 by BlueandTruesince82

Thanks all.

Good points.

The journey splitting I have thought about but feels like a lot of life admin to do it two takes a week. Depends how much I'll save i suppose, will look at it.

More money, had that conversation and they have pushed the boat out for me as a result. Its the principle rather than the cost.

Half season ticket, I didn't know about will look at it, might be a good shout.

Off peak yes I'll be aim to be in early so a 7.30 train maybe earlier but I'll want the flexibility of being able to get on what ever train suits.

Much to consider

Can you not get a weekly ticket? if you plan the days you go in then that would cover 2 working weeks travel essentially. Som1 week going in on a wed/ Thurs, then the week after Mon/Tues.
Rail tickets - Any tips? on 22:06 - Nov 17 with 1217 viewsjeera

Not exactly conducive to getting more cars off the road is it?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Rail tickets - Any tips? on 00:29 - Nov 18 with 1124 viewshoppy

I did have the benefit of being able to stay at the studio, although initially stayed in a professional hostel, so several commuters in a similar situation, but without the bonus of our own space to sleep over, it would’ve admittedly not been cheaper.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Rail tickets - Any tips? on 00:55 - Nov 18 with 1107 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Rail tickets - Any tips? on 20:12 - Nov 17 by monytowbray

This is the best first choice.

I will say skipping fare is harder for regular rush hour, and even harder with London When I commuted for work via train I used to get the monthly ST, but it was £240 a month (in 2016) between Stow & Scum. Alas I did used to use it a lot to get through the gates and then go the other way towards London for as far as I could.

Say you tried to bunk it, periodically you're gonna have to get a ticket to the nearest station to get in/out of the gate. It's a risk when you have somewhere to be at a specific time and do it regular enough for all those little purchases to add up.

I got from Ipswich to Basingstoke and back on a fiver the other day :)

Tell me how to get to FPR and back for a fiver & I’ll be your best mate forever!

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Rail tickets - Any tips? on 06:23 - Nov 18 with 1038 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

You could always buy a more expensive house

Poll: would you rather

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024