Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Man. Kimchi is the best. 16:29 - Aug 4 with 909 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Soooo goood.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Man. Kimchi is the best. on 16:34 - Aug 4 with 881 viewsGogs

You’re not wrong. I recommend making your own. Have tried various different recipes, all have turned out good. Can be messy to make but it’s worth it. Ingredients aren’t hard to get hold of, particularly if you have a good Asian greengrocer nearby.
Man. Kimchi is the best. on 16:42 - Aug 4 with 845 viewsjayessess

You ever tried Dubu Kimchi?

Treat yourself:
https://www.koreanbapsang.com/dubu-kimchi-tofu-with-stir-fried-kimchi/

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Man. Kimchi is the best. on 16:58 - Aug 4 with 808 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Man. Kimchi is the best. on 16:42 - Aug 4 by jayessess

You ever tried Dubu Kimchi?

Treat yourself:
https://www.koreanbapsang.com/dubu-kimchi-tofu-with-stir-fried-kimchi/

That'd do it.

Korean food. Sooooo good.

Man. Kimchi is the best. on 17:30 - Aug 4 with 743 viewsKropotkin123

Man. Kimchi is the best. on 16:58 - Aug 4 by OriginalMarkyP

That'd do it.

Korean food. Sooooo good.

Korean food in the UK is generally somewhere between inauthentic and dreadful. Some exceptions to the rule, but not many.

Kimchi itself is just banchan (반찬). It does feature in other dishes of course, but it is essentially just a side dish served with pretty much every meal.

The idea of raving about kimchi is pretty funny, not sure I can give an accurate equivalent. Maybe the same as someone raving about pickled gherkins if we served it with every meal.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Man. Kimchi is the best. on 17:47 - Aug 4 with 704 viewsCotty

Man. Kimchi is the best. on 17:30 - Aug 4 by Kropotkin123

Korean food in the UK is generally somewhere between inauthentic and dreadful. Some exceptions to the rule, but not many.

Kimchi itself is just banchan (반찬). It does feature in other dishes of course, but it is essentially just a side dish served with pretty much every meal.

The idea of raving about kimchi is pretty funny, not sure I can give an accurate equivalent. Maybe the same as someone raving about pickled gherkins if we served it with every meal.

Gherkins, to be fair, ARE the best toooii
Man. Kimchi is the best. on 17:48 - Aug 4 with 702 viewsjayessess

Is it that weird to get excited when you try nice condiments and side dishes for the first time? Why not let people learn about food without being "Mr. Worldwide" about it?

Man. Kimchi is the best. on 18:48 - Aug 4 with 644 viewsFreddies_Ears

I've had amazingly good kimchi. But I was nearly put off it for life by the version "served" (thrown at me) in Korean Airlines economy class. In a sachet, a kind of paste, it stank of compost. I am pretty good with most odd foods, but this made me gag. The whole flippin' cabin stank of composted garlic....
Man. Kimchi is the best. on 19:03 - Aug 4 with 607 viewsKropotkin123

Man. Kimchi is the best. on 17:48 - Aug 4 by jayessess

Is it that weird to get excited when you try nice condiments and side dishes for the first time? Why not let people learn about food without being "Mr. Worldwide" about it?

Having lived in Korea, I don't think it is wrong to point out that Kimchi is a side dish that is free with basically every meal. That there is way more to Korean food than Kimchi.

There is a trend in the UK where companies and chains to take Kimchi and present it in inauthentic ways and make out that it is Korean. Eg Korean Burger = normal burger with Kimchi on it. Or Korean fries = Kimchi on fries.

If you don't get told these things, how do you learn the context?

Having lived in Korea and being married to an ethnic Korean, Korean food and people's understanding of it is of interest to me and I wish for it to be represented fairly.

That isn't to say the OP did represent it unfairly, but it is amusing to me and I feel like it is okay for me to say that.

Who knows, it might inspire the OP to think "If I love Kimchi this much and is a free side, maybe I'll try more Korean food, maybe I'll try and learn more, maybe I'll try other Banchan, maybe I'll go on holiday and try Korean food in Korea" etc, etc.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Login to get fewer ads

Man. Kimchi is the best. on 19:15 - Aug 4 with 585 viewsjayessess

Man. Kimchi is the best. on 19:03 - Aug 4 by Kropotkin123

Having lived in Korea, I don't think it is wrong to point out that Kimchi is a side dish that is free with basically every meal. That there is way more to Korean food than Kimchi.

There is a trend in the UK where companies and chains to take Kimchi and present it in inauthentic ways and make out that it is Korean. Eg Korean Burger = normal burger with Kimchi on it. Or Korean fries = Kimchi on fries.

If you don't get told these things, how do you learn the context?

Having lived in Korea and being married to an ethnic Korean, Korean food and people's understanding of it is of interest to me and I wish for it to be represented fairly.

That isn't to say the OP did represent it unfairly, but it is amusing to me and I feel like it is okay for me to say that.

Who knows, it might inspire the OP to think "If I love Kimchi this much and is a free side, maybe I'll try more Korean food, maybe I'll try and learn more, maybe I'll try other Banchan, maybe I'll go on holiday and try Korean food in Korea" etc, etc.

It's not wrong, but there's ways to do that which encourage people and welcome them into learning about new things and ways that make others feel small and ignorant for not already knowing stuff.

Responding to "I like this thing!" with "Actually, it's ridiculous that you're enthusiastic about this thing" falls into the latter category, for me.

Man. Kimchi is the best. on 19:21 - Aug 4 with 569 viewsOriginalMarkyP

I know. I got into it when worked in Seoul for a couple of weeks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024