Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour announcing new business advisors 08:15 - Dec 6 with 952 viewshampstead_blue

Long-Bailey on R4 telling us how they are going to champion small businesses by setting up advisors in every town.

Labour also raising the tax on dividend and capital gains.
Do they not know how many SME's rely on dividends for income?
Why are they hammering entrepreneurs who sell their businesses?

Give with one hand - take away with a fist

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:27 - Dec 6 with 920 viewsSteve_M

Can you think of any other imminent threats to small businesses in the current political climate?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:29 - Dec 6 with 916 viewshomer_123

Given the chronic under funding of key services, Education, Police, Fire, NHS etc. - which everyone (regardless of party) appears to agree on.

How do you propose addressing that?

We all want better services, we all want more investment but no one wants to pay for it. Brilliant.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:29 - Dec 6 with 910 viewshomer_123

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:27 - Dec 6 by Steve_M

Can you think of any other imminent threats to small businesses in the current political climate?

Not a single one Steve, nope, can't think of anything.

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:32 - Dec 6 with 901 viewsMattinLondon

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:29 - Dec 6 by homer_123

Not a single one Steve, nope, can't think of anything.

Is it Johnny Foreigner being jolly beastly to Blighty?

What we need is a man with experience in the field of intelligence to sort them out....oh wait.
Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:33 - Dec 6 with 901 viewschicoazul

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:27 - Dec 6 by Steve_M

If you're referring to Brexit, I think many and possibly most small businesses will expect to thrive during/after it as most of them are agile enough to adjust to whatever conditions the market throws up, that's not to say some people won't lose their jobs btw. It's the bigger companies that have more to worry about with supply chain, extra costs & admin etc (although big companies just looooove additional admin burdens as they can scale up to cope easily so that is a much lesser point).

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:39 - Dec 6 with 869 viewsm14_blue

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:33 - Dec 6 by chicoazul

If you're referring to Brexit, I think many and possibly most small businesses will expect to thrive during/after it as most of them are agile enough to adjust to whatever conditions the market throws up, that's not to say some people won't lose their jobs btw. It's the bigger companies that have more to worry about with supply chain, extra costs & admin etc (although big companies just looooove additional admin burdens as they can scale up to cope easily so that is a much lesser point).

Do you have any evidence to support that?

All the studies I’ve seen suggest quite the opposite.
Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:48 - Dec 6 with 849 viewshampstead_blue

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:39 - Dec 6 by m14_blue

There is plenty of evidence but also fact.
Most of the post is accepted fact within business.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:51 - Dec 6 with 842 viewsfooters

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:48 - Dec 6 by hampstead_blue

Then please do post some. If there's plenty it should be easy enough.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:51 - Dec 6 with 842 viewshampstead_blue

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:29 - Dec 6 by homer_123

Given the chronic under funding of key services, Education, Police, Fire, NHS etc. - which everyone (regardless of party) appears to agree on.

How do you propose addressing that?

We all want better services, we all want more investment but no one wants to pay for it. Brilliant.

Labour have spent the entire election telling us big business, billionaires and those earning over £80k are going to pay.

Not once have they fessed-up to the reality that entrepreneurs, small business people, wealth and job creators, will ALL pay.

I'm not talking about some sexy business creating unicorn poo, but a window cleaner, builder, plumber, small business employing local people.
You know, working class people on modest incomes.

Also pensioners - I've already stated that fact.

Why is Labour forgetting to mention this?

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:54 - Dec 6 with 834 viewsm14_blue

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:48 - Dec 6 by hampstead_blue

Could you share? I’m not suggesting it doesn’t exist, just that I haven’t seen it.

Don’t see how any of that could be described as ‘fact’ though?
Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:56 - Dec 6 with 830 viewsStokieBlue

I don't see the problem with these ideas. Surely it's a good thing if there is a free and impartial adviser that small businesses can speak to in their town?

As for dividends, they have been taxed too cheaply for years - it's gotten better the last 5 years or so but previously to that it was a total joke.

If you really want to question a Labour policy aimed towards business you should be looking at McDonnell's grabbing of 10% of the shares in businesses over 250 people. He claims this is to give works profits from the company but he is only giving a tiny portion of that 10% back to the employees and the rest goes to the treasury.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:56 - Dec 6 with 829 viewschicoazul

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:39 - Dec 6 by m14_blue

I literally said "I think".

The only evidence I can offer you is I am the smallest of small businesses and I deal with 20+ other SMEs in Essex Suffolk and Kent all of whom reflect my opinion. I also deal with 3 large multi-nat corporates all of whom also reflect my opinion. I am not much of a networker or Chamber of Commerce man but on the very few events I go to people say the same thing. Some/all of it may be based in optimism of course. As far as most businesses I speak with are concerned Brexit has already happened and they have adjusted or are about to.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:58 - Dec 6 with 821 viewshomer_123

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:51 - Dec 6 by hampstead_blue

Labour have spent the entire election telling us big business, billionaires and those earning over £80k are going to pay.

Not once have they fessed-up to the reality that entrepreneurs, small business people, wealth and job creators, will ALL pay.

I'm not talking about some sexy business creating unicorn poo, but a window cleaner, builder, plumber, small business employing local people.
You know, working class people on modest incomes.

Also pensioners - I've already stated that fact.

Why is Labour forgetting to mention this?

What's wrong with us ALL paying exactly?

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:59 - Dec 6 with 818 viewsm14_blue

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:56 - Dec 6 by chicoazul

I literally said "I think".

The only evidence I can offer you is I am the smallest of small businesses and I deal with 20+ other SMEs in Essex Suffolk and Kent all of whom reflect my opinion. I also deal with 3 large multi-nat corporates all of whom also reflect my opinion. I am not much of a networker or Chamber of Commerce man but on the very few events I go to people say the same thing. Some/all of it may be based in optimism of course. As far as most businesses I speak with are concerned Brexit has already happened and they have adjusted or are about to.

Fair enough, I was just interested that’s all, not being arsey.

I’ve had the opposite experience, don’t run an SME myself but deal with many and they are all, without exception, concerned about Brexit.

EDIT: although all the businesses I deal with are in a similar field so may well not be representative of the country as a whole. Academic studies suggest the average effect of Brexit on SME’s will range from significant damage with BJ’s deal to catastrophic with no deal.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2019 9:01]
Labour announcing new business advisors on 09:02 - Dec 6 with 810 viewschicoazul

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:59 - Dec 6 by m14_blue

Fair enough, I was just interested that’s all, not being arsey.

I’ve had the opposite experience, don’t run an SME myself but deal with many and they are all, without exception, concerned about Brexit.

EDIT: although all the businesses I deal with are in a similar field so may well not be representative of the country as a whole. Academic studies suggest the average effect of Brexit on SME’s will range from significant damage with BJ’s deal to catastrophic with no deal.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2019 9:01]

Don't get me wrong, everyone I speak with is certainly concerned, hence the changes and preparation. And not everyone is going to survive the storm that's coming. I am certainly concerned, but you can only deal with what's in front of you & try to plan as best you can for what's down the road. I hate the phrase, but "it is what it is".

Labour announcing new business advisors on 09:03 - Dec 6 with 807 viewshampstead_blue

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:51 - Dec 6 by footers

Then please do post some. If there's plenty it should be easy enough.

I knew I would be asked....haha

I've been an entrepreneur for too long so it's second nature to build flexibility into my model.
Some niche firms could struggle, but one the things I was taught at CASS business school and other mentoring and advice I've been given is to get that ability to pivot into your plan.

I could dig out some academic evidence but I am working so please forgive that.

Actually, I can give an example of a global car manufacturer pivoting.
Yesterday we were at a german car manufacturer. They've been eating their tail for a while now and it's getting short.
They are going to make a radical move, radical in the context of how big they are, and change a fundamental policy to break out of their problem.
An SME would make that decision walking to the car, they are s little bit slower (6 months).
That's the best I can do on the hoof
Hope it passes muster.

Labour announcing new business advisors on 09:05 - Dec 6 with 799 viewshampstead_blue

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:56 - Dec 6 by StokieBlue

I don't see the problem with these ideas. Surely it's a good thing if there is a free and impartial adviser that small businesses can speak to in their town?

As for dividends, they have been taxed too cheaply for years - it's gotten better the last 5 years or so but previously to that it was a total joke.

If you really want to question a Labour policy aimed towards business you should be looking at McDonnell's grabbing of 10% of the shares in businesses over 250 people. He claims this is to give works profits from the company but he is only giving a tiny portion of that 10% back to the employees and the rest goes to the treasury.

SB

I like the idea of encouraging people into entrepreneurial activity.
The problem is that it's very hard and takes a 'certain set of skills'.

I'd say it's harder to start a business and give it a go than to get a job and turn-up each day.
I'm still pants with accounting.

Labour announcing new business advisors on 09:05 - Dec 6 with 797 viewsBrixtonBlue

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:54 - Dec 6 by m14_blue

Could you share? I’m not suggesting it doesn’t exist, just that I haven’t seen it.

Don’t see how any of that could be described as ‘fact’ though?

Like most Tories, Hampstead isn't bothered with actual facts. He just spews out nonsense every day in the hope someone will believe it, despite so many people correcting him (and even stuff in his own links that proves him wrong).

Then he appears the next morning with more sh!te.

I admire how thick his skin is though.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Labour announcing new business advisors on 09:05 - Dec 6 with 798 viewsfooters

Labour announcing new business advisors on 09:03 - Dec 6 by hampstead_blue

I knew I would be asked....haha

I've been an entrepreneur for too long so it's second nature to build flexibility into my model.
Some niche firms could struggle, but one the things I was taught at CASS business school and other mentoring and advice I've been given is to get that ability to pivot into your plan.

I could dig out some academic evidence but I am working so please forgive that.

Actually, I can give an example of a global car manufacturer pivoting.
Yesterday we were at a german car manufacturer. They've been eating their tail for a while now and it's getting short.
They are going to make a radical move, radical in the context of how big they are, and change a fundamental policy to break out of their problem.
An SME would make that decision walking to the car, they are s little bit slower (6 months).
That's the best I can do on the hoof
Hope it passes muster.

No, it doesn't. I asked for evidence and you supplied an anecdote. Though in fairness there were a lot of words.

Can wait till later for evidence. But I'm surprised you're so busy that you can post on several different threads at once but not post any evidence. Fascinating.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Labour announcing new business advisors on 09:08 - Dec 6 with 792 viewschicoazul

Labour announcing new business advisors on 08:56 - Dec 6 by StokieBlue

SB

Dividends were taxed too little yes, but I think they are about right now, although an extra point or two would be ok which I think is what the Maximum Leader is proposing. There needs to be some sort of reward for being successful after taking the risk of opening or running a business.

Labour announcing new business advisors on 09:11 - Dec 6 with 773 viewsElephantintheRoom

Because it costs money to provide all these 'advisers' and perhaps the people who should fund this are the people who use it? Or something like that.

Perhaps you should try volunteering in a food bank for a year and see how genuine suffering is going up exponentially in your community? You might begin to understand that taxes pay for services that anyone might need at any time. Even you.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Labour announcing new business advisors on 09:14 - Dec 6 with 763 viewsHerbivore

Why is bringing tax on dividends and capital gains - both forms of income - more in line with income tax such a problem? Seems only fair to me, I don't see why people with their own business should be able to game the system to pay a lower personal tax rate than their employees on PAYE.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Labour announcing new business advisors on 09:18 - Dec 6 with 761 viewsStokieBlue

Labour announcing new business advisors on 09:14 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

Why is bringing tax on dividends and capital gains - both forms of income - more in line with income tax such a problem? Seems only fair to me, I don't see why people with their own business should be able to game the system to pay a lower personal tax rate than their employees on PAYE.

The changes to IR35 (implemented by the Tories which might give him a quandary) are designed to do exactly what you've highlighted with regards to alignment to PAYE.

Seems unfair to criticise one party for doing it and not the other.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Labour announcing new business advisors on 09:22 - Dec 6 with 749 viewsHerbivore

Labour announcing new business advisors on 09:18 - Dec 6 by StokieBlue

The changes to IR35 (implemented by the Tories which might give him a quandary) are designed to do exactly what you've highlighted with regards to alignment to PAYE.

Seems unfair to criticise one party for doing it and not the other.

SB

It's almost like the OP has an agenda.....

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Labour announcing new business advisors on 10:50 - Dec 6 with 675 viewsGuthrum

Labour announcing new business advisors on 09:08 - Dec 6 by chicoazul

Dividends were taxed too little yes, but I think they are about right now, although an extra point or two would be ok which I think is what the Maximum Leader is proposing. There needs to be some sort of reward for being successful after taking the risk of opening or running a business.

I'd rather see tax on captital gains from share sales than on dividends. Moderation on the latter promotes profitable business, while reducing the former merely encourages gambling and destructive practices.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024