Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding 22:34 - Sep 20 with 7734 viewsSwansea_Blue

Excluding the ongoing antisemitism row (plenty of threads on that), in the last 36 hours alone they’ve:
- had a row over labour youth group, and disbanded it
- attacked the hugely experienced Harriet Harmon and are lining up to oust her at the next GE, because she’s standing as a candidate to be the next Speaker
- and now have tried to oust Tom Watson despite him being labour through and through https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49776100

What the eff are they doing over there? They’ve got a ruling party scoring the biggest own goals in decades or a Century+, literally, yet they don’t seem able to focus on trying to beat them. It’s thoroughly bizarre.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 22:35 - Sep 20 with 4653 viewsSpruceMoose

It's almost like the guy in charge isn't exactly capable.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 22:39 - Sep 20 with 4639 viewslowhouseblue

but the trots will have control of the corpse - which is all they ever wanted. all together now ohhh, jeremy corbyn.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 23:24 - Sep 20 with 4575 viewsRyorry

The people running it are too inwardly focussed & spending their time congratulating each other on their own momentum within the hermetically sealed echo chamber to see the reality of the big wide world outside.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 23:30 - Sep 20 with 4546 viewssyntaxerror

Its Rocky Horror Picture Show politics
One party makes a step to the right, the other makes a jump to the left

Watson will join Lib Dems if he gets forced out. They wont win an election but they will be kingmakers along with the SNP, PC and Greens.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 23:31]
To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 23:40 - Sep 20 with 4538 viewsGuthrum

I reckon in a General Election, both Conservatives and Labour are quite likely to collapse badly. The one because they've lurched too far from the centre ground, but not far enough to satisfy the extremists, and the other because they can't take a strong, clearly defined position to save their lives.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 23:42 - Sep 20 with 4529 viewsClapham_Junction

"yet they don’t seem able to focus on trying to beat them"

I suspect this may be the root cause of what's going on, although not in the way you've put it. Some members believe that certain Labour MPs cost the party the last election by frequently criticising the leadership in the media rather than focussing on the Tories (and clearly being egged onto do so by certain elements of the media), and I'd imagine that they are keen to get rid of these MPs before the next election to avoid it happening again.

Watson is also believed to have deliberately leaked the party's manifesto prior to the 2017 elections in the belief that it would damage the party, and then apparently was surprised by the relatively positive reaction to it.

When you're as relentlessly under attack as a Corbyn-led Labour is from most of the press, a united front is pretty important (otherwise you're just giving your opponents more ammunition), and certain parts of the party have never accepted the shift in party policy.
To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 23:59 - Sep 20 with 4493 viewsSuffolktractor

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 23:42 - Sep 20 by Clapham_Junction

I suspect this may be the root cause of what's going on, although not in the way you've put it. Some members believe that certain Labour MPs cost the party the last election by frequently criticising the leadership in the media rather than focussing on the Tories (and clearly being egged onto do so by certain elements of the media), and I'd imagine that they are keen to get rid of these MPs before the next election to avoid it happening again.

Watson is also believed to have deliberately leaked the party's manifesto prior to the 2017 elections in the belief that it would damage the party, and then apparently was surprised by the relatively positive reaction to it.

When you're as relentlessly under attack as a Corbyn-led Labour is from most of the press, a united front is pretty important (otherwise you're just giving your opponents more ammunition), and certain parts of the party have never accepted the shift in party policy.

I think you will find the majority of Labour thinking people have no appetite for the pseudo revolutionary bulls**t coming from Momentum.
To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 00:38 - Sep 21 with 4449 viewsSwansea_Blue

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 23:42 - Sep 20 by Clapham_Junction

Interesting thanks. That's what I'm getting from it: a fundamental breakdown in agreeing which direction the party should be going. No doubt Watson thinks he's right, and vice versa. I've no idea which of those sides is right, but it isn't doing the party any good at all with non members and fanatical supporters (basically the people it needs to be winning over, like me).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 00:39 - Sep 21 with 4448 viewssyntaxerror

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 23:59 - Sep 20 by Suffolktractor

I think you will find the majority of Labour thinking people have no appetite for the pseudo revolutionary bulls**t coming from Momentum.

I hope so... we have enough Pseudo far right bulls**t coming from the Cummings inspired other side
To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 00:42 - Sep 21 with 4440 viewsBlueBadger

As an outsider, I don't think that Corbyn has been as much under attack from a Tory press as Milliband was. Mainly because Milliband briefly looked like being electable.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 00:43 - Sep 21 with 4437 viewsBlueBadger

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 00:39 - Sep 21 by syntaxerror

I hope so... we have enough Pseudo far right bulls**t coming from the Cummings inspired other side

There's nothing 'pseudo' about the far right bullsh*t coming from the Tories, right now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 01:08 - Sep 21 with 4417 viewsClapham_Junction

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 00:42 - Sep 21 by BlueBadger

As an outsider, I don't think that Corbyn has been as much under attack from a Tory press as Milliband was. Mainly because Milliband briefly looked like being electable.

Really? I think it's been much worse for Corbyn - and pretty much relentlessly since day one.
To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 01:17 - Sep 21 with 4403 viewsBlueBadger

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 01:08 - Sep 21 by Clapham_Junction

Really? I think it's been much worse for Corbyn - and pretty much relentlessly since day one.

Trouble is, from his inactivity over antisemitism to muddled thinking on Brexit to 'purging' anyone who dares disagree with him to apparently wilfully appointing utter incompetents to key positions, he's been presenting more open goals than Toto Nsiala.
They really haven't had to try very hard to look for a 'look how sh1t the Dear Leader' is story, because he's actively presenting them with stories.
With Milliband they at ;east had to resort to ridiculous stuff like 'look at how he eats a bacon sandwich' because it looked like he might actually present a credible challenge, briefly.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2019 1:21]

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 06:41 - Sep 21 with 4316 viewscrunchie1978

The most inept opposition party in history.
It needs to implode and start again from scratch.
To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 08:10 - Sep 21 with 4235 viewsWD19

Sometime I question whether they actually want to ‘win’ a general election and be tasked with fixing stuff, or whether they would prefer to continue on the sidelines chucking stones and complaining about how other people do at running the country.
To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 08:13 - Sep 21 with 4227 viewsDubtractor

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 01:08 - Sep 21 by Clapham_Junction

Undoubtedly the press has been much harsher on Corbyn, pretty relentless from day one, but Corbyn/momentum really don't help themselves with things like this attempt to oust Watson.

To be honest, it bloody annoys me, as Labour should be utterly wiping the floor with the tories at the moment. I like what Corbyn stands for overall, but he spent his career as a back bencher sniping and disagreeing yet anyone does the same now and momentum are straight onto them. Any political party HAS to be a broad church, there has to be disagreement and compromise.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 08:14 - Sep 21 with 4222 viewsartsbossbeard

It's a massive shame for the party.

We have the most inept, incompetent and divisive government in history with the chief opposition not able to take advantage of it properly. This will be looked back on as a chance blown.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 08:17 - Sep 21 with 4214 viewsWD19

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 08:13 - Sep 21 by Dubtractor

Undoubtedly the press has been much harsher on Corbyn, pretty relentless from day one, but Corbyn/momentum really don't help themselves with things like this attempt to oust Watson.

To be honest, it bloody annoys me, as Labour should be utterly wiping the floor with the tories at the moment. I like what Corbyn stands for overall, but he spent his career as a back bencher sniping and disagreeing yet anyone does the same now and momentum are straight onto them. Any political party HAS to be a broad church, there has to be disagreement and compromise.

Corbyn has the lowest approval rating of any opposition leader since 1977. That is some achievement considering how fertile the situation was for him and his party has been over the past few years. You can only be that bad either 1) Deliberately, or 2) Because you are incompetent on a scale that is almost incomprehensible.
To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 08:28 - Sep 21 with 4189 viewsDarth_Koont

Haven't looked too closely at what the other stuff is all about. But it's certainly time to get Watsom out the way. He and others on the Labour right have been blatantly obstructing and playing politics over the past few years, undermining the leadership and weakening the opposition to the Tory sh!tshow at almost every step.

I'm more and more convinced we need to get rid of these useless party politicians and actually fight the creeping right in this country with principles and policies. Call me old-fashioned and unrealistic.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2019 8:43]

Pronouns: He/Him

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 08:28 - Sep 21 with 4181 viewsitfcjoe

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 08:13 - Sep 21 by Dubtractor

They are only interested in total control of the Labour Party, to stop it from being a broad church and totally narrow it’s appeal in reality.

Lib Dem’s all the way now in the hope they can become the opposition

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 08:31 - Sep 21 with 4164 viewsDarth_Koont

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 00:42 - Sep 21 by BlueBadger

Oh come off it. I know you're living in a bit of a bubble but that's ridiculous.

And the attacks have only increased in ferocity when Corbyn actually showed himself more electable than Miliband through his policies.

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 08:32 - Sep 21 with 4162 viewsartsbossbeard

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 08:28 - Sep 21 by Darth_Koont

Haven't looked too closely at what the other stuff is all about. But it's certainly time to get Watsom out the way. He and others on the Labour right have been blatantly obstructing and playing politics over the past few years, undermining the leadership and weakening the opposition to the Tory sh!tshow at almost every step.

I'm more and more convinced we need to get rid of these useless party politicians and actually fight the creeping right in this country with principles and policies. Call me old-fashioned and unrealistic.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2019 8:43]

The "creeping right" would indicate that it's some shadowy undercurrent where it's actually an "in your face" xenophobic free for all from some quarters.

I agree with your sentiment.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 08:35 - Sep 21 with 4141 viewsWeWereZombies

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 08:17 - Sep 21 by WD19

Corbyn has the lowest approval rating of any opposition leader since 1977. That is some achievement considering how fertile the situation was for him and his party has been over the past few years. You can only be that bad either 1) Deliberately, or 2) Because you are incompetent on a scale that is almost incomprehensible.

Remind me now, who was that leader of the opposition in 1977? Anything ever become of her?

(not that I ever liked her but the undercurrents that are not picked up by the pollsters can be telling)

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 08:35 - Sep 21 with 4140 viewsm14_blue

I don’t really see it as any different to Johnson’s purge of the centrist tories.

If you are only willing to have people that agree exactly with the leadership on every issue then you’re not going to have a broad enough appeal to win an election. It also weakens the standard of debate within the party considerably, with it becoming even more of an echo chamber (which is absolutely the last thing Corbyn needs).

I can see Labour’s vote collapsing this time around.
To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 08:36 - Sep 21 with 4128 viewsDarth_Koont

To an outsider, Labour seem to be imploding on 08:28 - Sep 21 by itfcjoe

They are only interested in total control of the Labour Party, to stop it from being a broad church and totally narrow it’s appeal in reality.

Lib Dem’s all the way now in the hope they can become the opposition

Actually, I think it's as simple as seeing that New Labour and the continuation of that position wasn't enough of an opposition. Miliband was losing ground.

And not what the country needs to drag itself back from the path we've been on that has taken us to a ridiculous Brexit and rabid populist nonsense. We need a reinjection of socialist values in our politics. The kind that made the UK a better place to live in the post-War years.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024