Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brief thoughts on today's game 17:19 - Jul 27 with 4129 viewsSmith45

Just back from today's game, thought i'd share my thoughts as best i can from memory. Did a 4am dropoff for the Mother at Heathrow this morning before going straight to Cambridge so slightly weary!

Holy - Has to start at Burton for me. Look so much more assured at the back with him in-between the sticks. Made a couple of good saves, claimed crosses and has an absolute monster kick on him.

Donacien- Not convinced he's our solution at right back, did okay wasn't getting up and down as much as i'd like.

Woolfenden- Looked pretty good defensively, love it when he brings the ball out from the back which he did on a couple of occasions today. Used his pace to get him out of a couple of missed headers but all round pretty good.

Guthrie - Missed a few headers and looked a little suspect today i think, not sure i'd feel comfortably with Guthrie and Woolfenden being our starting pair next week.

Clements - Not sure how others feel on him but i really hope we have Kenlock back and fit next week. Whipped in a couple of great balls into the box but very lightweight and gave away the ball far too many times for me today .

Downes - Man of the match for me, absolutely dominated the midfield today and shields the ball so well for his size, should've probably got a goal when he nipped through had it not been for a heavy touch. The tackle and altercation resulting in the red card's was right in front of me, it wasn't a great tackle by any means however the reaction was way over the top, has to be more professional than that. Love that he's got a bit of passion in him but with the position we're in and how well he's been playing we could do without him having a ban.

Skuse- Was great today don't think he missed a pass all game and was brilliant in the air, his experience showed today. Was fairly untested at right back but some good link up play with Judge and Downes down the right hand side.

Jackson - Looks a better player than last year for sure, links up well with Norwood and should've laid one off to him in the first half but shot instead. Couple of reasonable chances and certainly used his pace, we were just that final ball short today.

Rowe - Good first half and some neat little interplay an touches in the number 10 role, think he should get his chance this year he's a tidy player.

Dozzell - Thought he did well today, not set the world alight by any means but his quick passing and vision can be a joy to watch at times, certainly seems to be working harder than he was last season, i think with a good run of games could be good player for us this season.

Norwood - Maybe not his best game but i think he'll be a huge player for us, a couple of his cushion headers from crosses today to set someone else free were sublime and showed great vision, very good on the ball and always a nuisance.

Judge - What can you say, was absolutely everywhere when he came on and you would never guess that was his first 45 minutes of pre season. Always wants to keep the ball moving and his balls into the box created two great chances for Norwood. Everything crossed in hope he stays because he'll be massive for us this season.

Dobra - started off quietly but was getting more involved as the half went on with some good interplay and touches, a bit lightweight but to be expected as his age/size. Wonder where El Mizouni was today?

Huws - Fairly quiet today, love the way he turns on the ball but don't think he's 100% ready yet, has missed a hell of a lot of football.

Garbutt - First time I'd seen him today, hard to say really, had a fair bit go down his side and was involved quite a bit but certainly not the finished article, would like to see him in some more games as I'm not sold yet.

Chambers - Solid at the back up against an absolute unit, the way we're playing this season though i'd like to see him get his foot on the ball a bit more and find a pass but i guess that's never really been his game.

Wilson - was the other end to me when he came on, didn't see much of him

Cambridge weren't a terrible side in all honesty and played some nice stuff at times. We had some really good spells of possession and when we get into a bit of a rhythm it's certainly good to watch ,were just missing that final ball today.
Brief thoughts on today's game on 17:35 - Jul 27 with 3911 views3_5_2

agree with most of that

Fantastic support again and great banter

Cambs Utd catering makes ours at PR look like a Michelin starred restaurant !

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Brief thoughts on today's game on 17:51 - Jul 27 with 3774 viewsSmith45

Brief thoughts on today's game on 17:35 - Jul 27 by 3_5_2

agree with most of that

Support was top notch as usual.

I know! Very loose use of the term "Gourmet" when describing their burgers...
Brief thoughts on today's game on 17:54 - Jul 27 with 3734 views3_5_2

Brief thoughts on today's game on 17:51 - Jul 27 by Smith45

Support was top notch as usual.

I know! Very loose use of the term "Gourmet" when describing their burgers...

I asked for a pie and the lady said "she thought they were not cooked yet"

so I asked "yet?, so when will they be" to hear her reply "not sure love"

So a bag of crisps it was then

Brief thoughts on today's game on 18:14 - Jul 27 with 3586 viewsKeaneish

Agree with all of that.

Donacien was my biggest disappointment today. Expected him to really nail that position but he was average. I see where PL is coming from now. Interesting that Emmanuel remained on the bench and Skuse moved to RB. Both full back slots are a major concern - Clements no way near ready for me.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Brief thoughts on today's game on 18:23 - Jul 27 with 3533 viewsMattRichards4England

Christ. Usually read match reports and end up wondering what game the author was watching, but this is spot on. DO NOT sign Guthrie... he looked like he’d struggle in Ipswich Sunday league. Judge came on and looked a cut above anyone else... we’d be lucky to keep him. Downes looked really good but wow he needs to grow up quick. Holy over Bart for me... seems fairly safe and 100% committed to the cause, which Bart is certainly not. Dobra looked very promising... it seems like a lot of our players are scared to have possession and carry the ball, but not this kid!
Brief thoughts on today's game on 18:31 - Jul 27 with 3456 views3_5_2

Brief thoughts on today's game on 18:14 - Jul 27 by Keaneish

Agree with all of that.

Donacien was my biggest disappointment today. Expected him to really nail that position but he was average. I see where PL is coming from now. Interesting that Emmanuel remained on the bench and Skuse moved to RB. Both full back slots are a major concern - Clements no way near ready for me.

Rb is a concern, Kenlock will be ok with Garbutt in front of him at LM

Brief thoughts on today's game on 18:34 - Jul 27 with 3434 viewsWickets

Brief thoughts on today's game on 17:35 - Jul 27 by 3_5_2

agree with most of that

I enjoyed my burger and chips !
Brief thoughts on today's game on 18:37 - Jul 27 with 3410 viewsWickets

My only slight moan, well not really a moan ,i would have liked to see Huw's and Judge on with both strikers but sure it will happen soon .
Login to get fewer ads

Brief thoughts on today's game on 18:38 - Jul 27 with 3397 viewsHARRY10

Brief thoughts on today's game on 18:23 - Jul 27 by MattRichards4England

Christ. Usually read match reports and end up wondering what game the author was watching, but this is spot on. DO NOT sign Guthrie... he looked like he’d struggle in Ipswich Sunday league. Judge came on and looked a cut above anyone else... we’d be lucky to keep him. Downes looked really good but wow he needs to grow up quick. Holy over Bart for me... seems fairly safe and 100% committed to the cause, which Bart is certainly not. Dobra looked very promising... it seems like a lot of our players are scared to have possession and carry the ball, but not this kid!

I don't think we are a settled squad at this stage and Burton may come a bit too early as could Sunderland.

Holy sounds like he is a revelation and if PL can keep finding this level of quality at next to nothing then we will eventually pull it together - more so if incoming players like Holy are this committed.

I expect we will get off to a slower start than many wll hope for but there's any month in which we can sign players. Sell off/lose those who are not fully committed and who may think they are better than LI, and fill their place with those who want to win at all cost (headbutting excepted).
Brief thoughts on today's game on 19:07 - Jul 27 with 3249 viewsMattRichards4England

Brief thoughts on today's game on 18:38 - Jul 27 by HARRY10

I don't think we are a settled squad at this stage and Burton may come a bit too early as could Sunderland.

Holy sounds like he is a revelation and if PL can keep finding this level of quality at next to nothing then we will eventually pull it together - more so if incoming players like Holy are this committed.

I expect we will get off to a slower start than many wll hope for but there's any month in which we can sign players. Sell off/lose those who are not fully committed and who may think they are better than LI, and fill their place with those who want to win at all cost (headbutting excepted).

if we lose Judge and take on more injuries then we will be lucky to finish in the top 10. Judge included and some consistency without injuries and we will make the playoffs. MARK MY WORDS. This is NOT a team that will get automatic promotion.
Brief thoughts on today's game on 00:53 - Jul 28 with 2652 viewseddiespearitt03

Don,t know what game you were watching. It was a "knock about" against a weak Cambridge team and still we could not score. Not very inspiring for the season ahead when you think of all the chopping and changing of players in the team.
Brief thoughts on today's game on 07:44 - Jul 28 with 2450 viewsElephantintheRoom

I don't know whether to admire your enthusiasm for something dreadful or pity you. I wouldn't cross the road to watch a friendly and would want paying good money to watch a cup game nowadays. Town are in a dreadful place at the moment and once can only hope that injuries and player idiocy focus Lambert's mind into picking a pragmatic and competitive team for a competitive match. Somehow I doubt that will happen. Nothing I saw last season gives me any confidence that Lambert has any idea of how to get the best out of the limited talent and experience at his disposal. He's more likely to shoehorn in 4 or 5 ill-considered temps in next week and play them at 24 hours notice. Hope I'm wrong and some Town players are at least given a chance.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Brief thoughts on today's game on 08:14 - Jul 28 with 2368 viewsartsbossbeard

We played like a Poundland Barca yesterday at times.

And I mean that as a compliment.

Huws, if he stays injury free, is going to be one hell of a player at this level. Middle of the park and has time for about 40 touches before he gets closed down.

The lad could be like a new signing next season, if he stays injury free.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Brief thoughts on today's game on 08:22 - Jul 28 with 2307 viewsmadmouse1959

Someone tell me what kind of a settled 11 do we have ? Our only statement so far is to beat a weak Colchester side. We certainly should of at least scored a goal or two at Cambridge.
Another very frustrating season ahead and the first couple of months will soon tell us where we are heading.

shampoo dave

Brief thoughts on today's game on 08:22 - Jul 28 with 2300 viewsartsbossbeard

Brief thoughts on today's game on 07:44 - Jul 28 by ElephantintheRoom

I don't know whether to admire your enthusiasm for something dreadful or pity you. I wouldn't cross the road to watch a friendly and would want paying good money to watch a cup game nowadays. Town are in a dreadful place at the moment and once can only hope that injuries and player idiocy focus Lambert's mind into picking a pragmatic and competitive team for a competitive match. Somehow I doubt that will happen. Nothing I saw last season gives me any confidence that Lambert has any idea of how to get the best out of the limited talent and experience at his disposal. He's more likely to shoehorn in 4 or 5 ill-considered temps in next week and play them at 24 hours notice. Hope I'm wrong and some Town players are at least given a chance.

Oooh, someone's tired.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Brief thoughts on today's game on 08:27 - Jul 28 with 2273 viewsartsbossbeard

Brief thoughts on today's game on 08:22 - Jul 28 by madmouse1959

Someone tell me what kind of a settled 11 do we have ? Our only statement so far is to beat a weak Colchester side. We certainly should of at least scored a goal or two at Cambridge.
Another very frustrating season ahead and the first couple of months will soon tell us where we are heading.

Most went away from yesterday's game reasonably happy, I'd suggest.

We've now got a target man who is a battler and a royal pain in the butt and who also isn't entirely selfish to see the bigger picture around him. He'll score goals, no question.

Brief thoughts on today's game on 09:01 - Jul 28 with 2157 viewsSmith45

Brief thoughts on today's game on 07:44 - Jul 28 by ElephantintheRoom

I wouldn't say it's enthusiasm as such. I'm very much in the camp of not reading too much in to pre season games, I'm just sharing what i thought of everyone individually yesterday.

I genuinely have no idea how we're going to do this season, i like you say don't think we have a settled 11 yet and I'll be interested to see what Lambert goes with next week. I for one am not getting too excited and think we may start off slowly until we find our feet but we shall see.
Brief thoughts on today's game on 09:28 - Jul 28 with 2055 viewsArnieM

Brief thoughts on today's game on 19:07 - Jul 27 by MattRichards4England

if we lose Judge and take on more injuries then we will be lucky to finish in the top 10. Judge included and some consistency without injuries and we will make the playoffs. MARK MY WORDS. This is NOT a team that will get automatic promotion.

What makes you think Lambert played his best 11?? Of course he didn’t . Such a thing as keeping your powder dry you know. COYBs

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Brief thoughts on today's game on 09:34 - Jul 28 with 2035 viewsKeaneish

Brief thoughts on today's game on 19:07 - Jul 27 by MattRichards4England

Same can be said for any challenging side if they lose their best player and have an extensive injury list...

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Brief thoughts on today's game on 12:06 - Jul 28 with 1856 viewsmanchego

Brief thoughts on today's game on 08:14 - Jul 28 by artsbossbeard

We played like a Poundland Barca yesterday at times.

And I mean that as a compliment.

Huws, if he stays injury free, is going to be one hell of a player at this level. Middle of the park and has time for about 40 touches before he gets closed down.

The lad could be like a new signing next season, if he stays injury free.

Funny, I was thinking that Holy looked like Ter Stegen with the ball at his feet, looking for a pass (nearly)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024