Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Building a team around one player 19:10 - Jul 11 with 3632 viewsHipsterectomy

I recently read Neil Warnock's book about his time at QPR. What jumped out was that he is an incredibly successful manager at our level and always believes in building a team and tactic around 1 or 2 men in the side.

At Sheffield United it was Jagielka, Adel Taarabt at QPR and he intended to use Andros Townsend at Leeds, before he cleaned out his locker and left the club.

I can't remember many Town teams we have built a team/tactic around. Darrent Bent, Jon Walters and Murphy? Thought I don't think we used Darren Bent that well, more it was his pace and finishing.

Lambert also did this successfully with Holt and Hoolihan at Norwich.

Who would you say is the man or two we could build a side around?

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Building a team around one player on 19:12 - Jul 11 with 3585 viewsJ2BLUE

Bishop if we knew he would stay fit. And Norwood.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Building a team around one player on 19:24 - Jul 11 with 3541 viewsDevereuxxx

Just out of interest, did it expand on how he tactically built a side around a centre back?

This isn't meant to be a dig, its a genuine question. Just because by its nature a CB is a fairly limited position tactically.
Building a team around one player on 19:27 - Jul 11 with 3521 viewsSteve_M

By 2004-05 we were very direct to utilise the pace and running of Bent and Kuqi. So much so that Counago and Bowditch couldn't really play in that side which was a bit of a waste.

In 96-97 Sedgley was integral to the side, excellent at sweeper but Burley's better sides had far more really good players.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Building a team around one player on 19:30 - Jul 11 with 3501 viewswkj

In a way you could argue Mick built the team around David McGoldrick, sadly his body put that one into touch, which is why I think he bought Garner and Waghorn in during his last season - he knew that he needed a new direction up front in light of McGoldrick's fitness.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Building a team around one player on 19:51 - Jul 11 with 3431 viewsCoastalblue

Bullard on his loan appearances was probably a player we could have built a side around, and on his loan appearances it might have been quite something.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Building a team around one player on 19:53 - Jul 11 with 3422 viewshampstead_blue

Long ball to Steve Whitton, header down to Kiwomya, goal.

In this squad?
I'd pick Bishop through to Norwood......slap, spank, in you go.....
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 19:54]

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Building a team around one player on 20:15 - Jul 11 with 3322 viewsDennyx4

Building a team around one player on 19:24 - Jul 11 by Devereuxxx

Just out of interest, did it expand on how he tactically built a side around a centre back?

This isn't meant to be a dig, its a genuine question. Just because by its nature a CB is a fairly limited position tactically.

Wasn't Jagielka playing in midfield in his early times at Sheff Utd?
Building a team around one player on 20:23 - Jul 11 with 3293 viewsSwansea_Blue

Building a team around one player on 19:30 - Jul 11 by wkj

In a way you could argue Mick built the team around David McGoldrick, sadly his body put that one into touch, which is why I think he bought Garner and Waghorn in during his last season - he knew that he needed a new direction up front in light of McGoldrick's fitness.

The first name I thought of for Mick was Chambo.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Building a team around one player on 20:24 - Jul 11 with 3289 viewsJon_456

I think it’ll be built around judge and Norwood over the next 1-2 years.

I’d imagine if he’s successful and still in the job then the base of the team we’ll be built around the likes of Bishop, Downes, dozzell, Woolfenden etc, a good spine right there.
Building a team around one player on 20:26 - Jul 11 with 3282 viewsolimar

Building a team around one player on 19:27 - Jul 11 by Steve_M

By 2004-05 we were very direct to utilise the pace and running of Bent and Kuqi. So much so that Counago and Bowditch couldn't really play in that side which was a bit of a waste.

In 96-97 Sedgley was integral to the side, excellent at sweeper but Burley's better sides had far more really good players.

I was going to say Kuqi too- he had his best days in football at ITFC and totally transformed as a footballer in his time with us. It was a decent fit for Bent too, but I suspect that his raw ability probably meant that he would have produced results in a variety of styles (though Im conscious that the latter part of his career took criticism because he wasnt seen as mobile enough as a lone forward).

Sedgley remains one of my all-time favourites. He would have walked into any of our Championship sides, I reckon.
Building a team around one player on 20:29 - Jul 11 with 3267 viewsolimar

Building a team around one player on 19:30 - Jul 11 by wkj

Id say the opposite- Mick probably "should" have built the team around McGoldricks style, but even when fit, he was often shoe-horned into a position where we tried to accommodate everyone.

Stuck out in wide attacking positions was a waste. Or as a lone forward.
Building a team around one player on 20:32 - Jul 11 with 3269 viewsolimar

The stuff about Taarabt was fascinating.
He was dropping deep to collect the ball, trying fancy stuff and losing it in dangerous positions. So Warnock told Taarabt he was banned from getting the ball in his own half and fined any player who passed to him in his own half.

Contrast it with Micks approach, who wanted to make sure that a player would "put in a shift" defensively before he would pick them regularly in his side (Celina springs to mind here, but there were others).
Building a team around one player on 21:38 - Jul 11 with 3110 viewsKeaneish

No question this season. Judge has been brought in with that very intention. Perhaps Nowood too as you can argue the system we're play they'll both compliment each other and bring others into the game.

Come end of the season, I'm fully expecting Judge to be voted the League One player of the year and Norwood up there if not the highest goal scorer.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Building a team around one player on 08:27 - Jul 12 with 2753 viewsGeoffSentence

Building a team around one player on 19:24 - Jul 11 by Devereuxxx

IN those days Jagielka was playing in midfield.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Building a team around one player on 09:17 - Jul 12 with 2670 viewsbadadski

We have already done that -
We had a team of tommy smiths
Building a team around one player on 10:01 - Jul 12 with 2581 viewsfranz_tyson

Building a team around one player on 20:23 - Jul 11 by Swansea_Blue

The first name I thought of for Mick was Chambo.

I thought that Mick built a team around Skuse. Skuse is more comfortable playing inside his own half and that’s where much of possesion ( us and the opposition) was based. Before we lumped the ball upfield.

Here’s the problem about building the team around one player. The opposition will focus on snuffing that player out and what if that player gets injured? Who can replace a Judge or a Norwood if they pick up an injury.
Building a team around one player on 11:54 - Jul 12 with 2466 viewsITFCMonk

I’d say Mick definitely built his teams around Murphy and McGoldrick. If either were injured the whole team suffered. Garner and Waghorn arriving improved this.
Building a team around one player on 11:56 - Jul 12 with 2455 viewsTractorBoyOlly

We definitely did this with Murphy in our play-off season. Without his 27 goals we would have been nowhere.

Poll: Final points total?

Building a team around one player on 12:55 - Jul 12 with 2372 viewsCaptMickMills

In play off season under Mick, team was built around Murphy and his goals
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024