Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AJ... 09:20 - Feb 14 with 1965 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Will Joshua ever be a boxing great?

I'm not really a boxing fan, but would love to see AJ v Fury.

Seems AJ is running scared. Not the sign of a great.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

AJ... on 09:24 - Feb 14 with 1700 viewsfooters

He's being held back from the Fury/Wilder fights for a lot more cash. Fighting Miller next which should be an easy one for him. Will also help build his brand in the US and make him EVEN MORE cash if/when he does fight Wilder.

He has everything he needs to be a great, but he's not the sort who's going to take on all comers just because he wants to fight - he's being very carefully managed.

Physically he is a beast, the best heavyweight athletically by a long chalk. But, much like Klitschko, his style is quite robotic. I'd pick Fury on points over AJ, personally.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

AJ... on 09:26 - Feb 14 with 1686 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

AJ... on 09:24 - Feb 14 by footers

He's being held back from the Fury/Wilder fights for a lot more cash. Fighting Miller next which should be an easy one for him. Will also help build his brand in the US and make him EVEN MORE cash if/when he does fight Wilder.

He has everything he needs to be a great, but he's not the sort who's going to take on all comers just because he wants to fight - he's being very carefully managed.

Physically he is a beast, the best heavyweight athletically by a long chalk. But, much like Klitschko, his style is quite robotic. I'd pick Fury on points over AJ, personally.

We'll have to wait and see.

He might have to decide what he values more, his bank balance or his legacy.

He could have taken on Wilder, Fury or White. He's chosen some unknown.

#runningscared

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

AJ... on 09:33 - Feb 14 with 1661 viewsMrTown

7 years left in the game, probably doesn't want to risk his reputation just yet.

Seems sensible, gets a "warm-up fight stateside", widens his fanbase across the pond whilst making shedload of money.

He'll walk through Jarrell Miller, increases his value and probably take on Dillian Whyte next before probably stepping up to Fury or Wilder.

Eddie Hearn obviously trying to get the best deal for his man which is ultimately becoming a stubbily block. People aren't get paid what they think they're worth.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

AJ... on 09:36 - Feb 14 with 1648 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

AJ... on 09:33 - Feb 14 by MrTown

7 years left in the game, probably doesn't want to risk his reputation just yet.

Seems sensible, gets a "warm-up fight stateside", widens his fanbase across the pond whilst making shedload of money.

He'll walk through Jarrell Miller, increases his value and probably take on Dillian Whyte next before probably stepping up to Fury or Wilder.

Eddie Hearn obviously trying to get the best deal for his man which is ultimately becoming a stubbily block. People aren't get paid what they think they're worth.

I'd love to see Fury beat him.

I understand the whole 'risk his reputation'.... but that translates to simply being scared of losing. Not the sign of a great.

AJ... on 09:38 - Feb 14 with 1645 viewsRadlett_blue

Bit harsh. I think Joshua - Wilder would definitely have happened, but Wilder drawing with Fury has led to an obvious re-match, leaving AJ out in the cold for the time being. He certainly needs to be more active and fighting Jarrell Miller next isn't going to excite too many.
If AJ then beats Wilder & Fury & holds all the titles simultaneously, his place in history will be assured.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

AJ... on 09:39 - Feb 14 with 1637 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

AJ... on 09:38 - Feb 14 by Radlett_blue

Bit harsh. I think Joshua - Wilder would definitely have happened, but Wilder drawing with Fury has led to an obvious re-match, leaving AJ out in the cold for the time being. He certainly needs to be more active and fighting Jarrell Miller next isn't going to excite too many.
If AJ then beats Wilder & Fury & holds all the titles simultaneously, his place in history will be assured.

Very big IF.

I'd be surprised if he even fights all three, let alone wins.

AJ... on 09:39 - Feb 14 with 1635 viewsfooters

AJ... on 09:36 - Feb 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'd love to see Fury beat him.

I understand the whole 'risk his reputation'.... but that translates to simply being scared of losing. Not the sign of a great.

Hmm, not sold on him being scared, there's more just a lack of quality heavyweights. Wilder and Fury are the obvious two, but tbh he beats Wilder in his sleep, while Whyte and Miller are the only other two that would make it worth his while. There really isn't anyone else he could fight.

Although there were rumours of Klitschko coming out of retirement, but likely that wouldn't be to fight AJ.

I'd love to see him fight more but Barry Hearn has said he's willing to wait years to build up mega-fights for him.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

AJ... on 09:43 - Feb 14 with 1626 viewschristiand

AJ... on 09:26 - Feb 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

#runningscared

He's already beaten Whyte and he'll beat him again. Although Whyte has improved since their last meeting, he has struggled against Parker and Chisora and looked no more than a slugger at times. AJ has not dodged anyone so far, I don't believe it's AJ running, both Fury and Wilder have been in discussions 'supposedly'. However, they clearly value themselves higher than what Hearn is prepared to offer. They all need to remember AJ is the World Heavyweight Champion and brings his belts to the table, what do the others offer? Wilder with his token WBC belt, but only fought a declining Ortiz and Tyson Fury of note and was lucky to escape with a draw last December. Surely, if they are all desperate to be the overall 'Heavyweight Champion of the World' they'd be prepared to compromise to take the risk for that legacy? Apparently, money talks and they really aren't that bothered as along as they remain undefeated.

Until AJ beats Wilder and Fury then his own legacy is still in question without a doubt. Personally, I think he'll have more trouble with Fury than Wilder due to Fury's movement and boxing ability. However, keep an eye out for the Ukrainian boxer Oleksandr Usyk, I can see him coming into the heightweight division and cracking a few heads!!
[Post edited 15 Feb 2019 7:24]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Login to get fewer ads

AJ... on 09:45 - Feb 14 with 1618 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

AJ... on 09:39 - Feb 14 by footers

Hmm, not sold on him being scared, there's more just a lack of quality heavyweights. Wilder and Fury are the obvious two, but tbh he beats Wilder in his sleep, while Whyte and Miller are the only other two that would make it worth his while. There really isn't anyone else he could fight.

Although there were rumours of Klitschko coming out of retirement, but likely that wouldn't be to fight AJ.

I'd love to see him fight more but Barry Hearn has said he's willing to wait years to build up mega-fights for him.

I think it will be a case of 'what if' when AJ retires.

AJ... on 09:46 - Feb 14 with 1615 viewschristiand

AJ... on 09:38 - Feb 14 by Radlett_blue

I think it will excite the fans State side. Miller can run his mouth with the best of them and create a lot of interest.

AJ... on 09:46 - Feb 14 with 1614 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

AJ... on 09:43 - Feb 14 by christiand

He's already beaten Whyte and he'll beat him again. Although Whyte has improved since their last meeting, he has struggled against Parker and Chisora and looked no more than a slugger at times. AJ has not dodged anyone so far, I don't believe it's AJ running, both Fury and Wilder have been in discussions 'supposedly'. However, they clearly value themselves higher than what Hearn is prepared to offer. They all need to remember AJ is the World Heavyweight Champion and brings his belts to the table, what do the others offer? Wilder with his token WBC belt, but only fought a declining Ortiz and Tyson Fury of note and was lucky to escape with a draw last December. Surely, if they are all desperate to be the overall 'Heavyweight Champion of the World' they'd be prepared to compromise to take the risk for that legacy? Apparently, money talks and they really aren't that bothered as along as they remain undefeated.

Until AJ beats Wilder and Fury then his own legacy is still in question without a doubt. Personally, I think he'll have more trouble with Fury than Wilder due to Fury's movement and boxing ability. However, keep an eye out for the Ukrainian boxer Oleksandr Usyk, I can see him coming into the heightweight division and cracking a few heads!!
[Post edited 15 Feb 2019 7:24]

I think Fury will have the edge on AJ mentally.

Also think AJ is all physique and lacks technique.

AJ... on 09:49 - Feb 14 with 1602 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Feels a bit Rocky 3, in terms of the fights he is getting.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

AJ... on 09:50 - Feb 14 with 1606 viewsHerbivore

People talk a lot of nonsense when it comes to Joshua. Look at his record and compare it to Wilder and Fury, Wilder's had over 40 fights and only three of them have been meaningful (even that's a stretch) and he's been a belt holder for a number of years without coming close to unifying. Fury has had two proper fights in his career. In the past year alone Joshua has unified 3 of the 4 belts against Parker and beaten a quality former world champion in Povetkin. Either of those guys would be comfortably in Fury or Wilder's top 3.

So no, AJ isn't running scared of Fury at all. He wasn't even a viable opponent until he drew with Wilder and they are now tied up with their rematch. AJ will fight the winner within the next 12 months, the issue for him will then be where he goes next because unlike Fury and Wilder he's pretty much taken care of the rest of the top guys in the division.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

AJ... on 09:51 - Feb 14 with 1598 viewschristiand

AJ... on 09:46 - Feb 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think Fury will have the edge on AJ mentally.

Also think AJ is all physique and lacks technique.

AJ has the power to put Fury down, if not out. Problem is AJ will need to catch him first and this is where Fury is so underrated. The Gypsy King can box, but lacks punching power and has a questionable chin. However as he showed against Wilder, Fury has a heart of a lion and just keeps coming back for more!! It would certainly be an intriguing fight, a contrast of styles.

AJ... on 09:52 - Feb 14 with 1593 viewsHerbivore

AJ... on 09:26 - Feb 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

#runningscared

You clearly don't follow boxing.

AJ... on 09:55 - Feb 14 with 1588 viewsHerbivore

AJ... on 09:45 - Feb 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think it will be a case of 'what if' when AJ retires.

You really, really don't follow boxing.

AJ... on 09:58 - Feb 14 with 1578 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

AJ... on 09:50 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

People talk a lot of nonsense when it comes to Joshua. Look at his record and compare it to Wilder and Fury, Wilder's had over 40 fights and only three of them have been meaningful (even that's a stretch) and he's been a belt holder for a number of years without coming close to unifying. Fury has had two proper fights in his career. In the past year alone Joshua has unified 3 of the 4 belts against Parker and beaten a quality former world champion in Povetkin. Either of those guys would be comfortably in Fury or Wilder's top 3.

So no, AJ isn't running scared of Fury at all. He wasn't even a viable opponent until he drew with Wilder and they are now tied up with their rematch. AJ will fight the winner within the next 12 months, the issue for him will then be where he goes next because unlike Fury and Wilder he's pretty much taken care of the rest of the top guys in the division.

With AJ its more a case of looking at the fights he didnt take, rather than the ones he did.

AJ... on 10:01 - Feb 14 with 1565 viewsHerbivore

AJ... on 09:58 - Feb 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

With AJ its more a case of looking at the fights he didnt take, rather than the ones he did.

Such as? Wilder was sent a contract and stalled on signing it until the WBA got fed up and ordered the Povetkin fight. Fury only became a viable opponent in December when drawing with Wilder and they are now having a rematch. AJ beat more top 10 heavyweights last year than Wilder has managed in over 40 fights and than Fury has managed in nearly 30 fights. You're just wrong on this one. It's not AJ whose legacy is questionable.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2019 10:02]

AJ... on 10:01 - Feb 14 with 1558 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

AJ... on 09:55 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

You really, really don't follow boxing.

No, I dont really these days, as there arent any fights worth watching. ;-)

AJ... on 10:02 - Feb 14 with 1553 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

AJ... on 10:01 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

Such as? Wilder was sent a contract and stalled on signing it until the WBA got fed up and ordered the Povetkin fight. Fury only became a viable opponent in December when drawing with Wilder and they are now having a rematch. AJ beat more top 10 heavyweights last year than Wilder has managed in over 40 fights and than Fury has managed in nearly 30 fights. You're just wrong on this one. It's not AJ whose legacy is questionable.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2019 10:02]

#runningscared

AJ... on 10:02 - Feb 14 with 1551 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

AJ... on 09:33 - Feb 14 by MrTown

His options have been severely limited as Wilder and now Whyte wanted more of an even financial split..

Wilder then took on the Fury fight in the hope it would be a straightforward win (increasing his exposure to a British market) and force the hand of AJ (and his management) to offer Wilder more money to fight AJ.. That has backfired somewhat as the main outcome has been the re establishment of Fury as a title challenger, so no longer a two man fight for the big titles and could well push Wilder further away from a big money fight if he loses to Fury.

AJ should have found a compromise with Whyte (not sure why he didn't accept, given the titles that were on the table) but his best option is to milk the American market so when the negotiations really get going with the winner of Wilder/Fury then AJ has a decent foothold in the American market and can argue that he is the biggest crowd pull both sides of the Atlantic.
AJ... on 10:02 - Feb 14 with 1548 viewsHerbivore

AJ... on 10:02 - Feb 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

#runningscared

Thanks for acknowledging that you have no argument.

AJ... on 10:04 - Feb 14 with 1542 viewsHerbivore

AJ... on 10:02 - Feb 14 by King_of_Portman_Rd

His options have been severely limited as Wilder and now Whyte wanted more of an even financial split..

Wilder then took on the Fury fight in the hope it would be a straightforward win (increasing his exposure to a British market) and force the hand of AJ (and his management) to offer Wilder more money to fight AJ.. That has backfired somewhat as the main outcome has been the re establishment of Fury as a title challenger, so no longer a two man fight for the big titles and could well push Wilder further away from a big money fight if he loses to Fury.

AJ should have found a compromise with Whyte (not sure why he didn't accept, given the titles that were on the table) but his best option is to milk the American market so when the negotiations really get going with the winner of Wilder/Fury then AJ has a decent foothold in the American market and can argue that he is the biggest crowd pull both sides of the Atlantic.

I'm not sure Whyte fancied it to be honest. He got destroyed last time they fought and I think he fancies Wilder or Fury more, his next fight is a final eliminator for Wilder's WBC belt.

AJ... on 10:13 - Feb 14 with 1505 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

AJ... on 10:02 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

Thanks for acknowledging that you have no argument.

;-)

AJ... on 10:14 - Feb 14 with 1500 viewsGooders7592

The winner of Whyte vs Breazeale should in truth fight the holder of the WBC belt (currently Wilder but could be Fury depending on their rematch). As a result, this will slow down AJ fighting either of them.

AJ won't fight Fury, Whyte or Wilder until early 2020. This isn't down to him running scared but more the politics and financials of Boxing. These circumstances have prevented lots of potential great fights in the past. I think this will be the same.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024