Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Adam Webster - The case for double standards 15:26 - Jun 27 with 3283 viewsDanFord

Let me start by saying that Webster looks a class act at times. But we have to remember that a large amount of his time at ITFC has seen him with a variety of injuries and unavailable. Earlier this week McGoldrick left the club and a lot of people were wishing we'd taken £7m for him a few years back. He's done little for the club since that Leicester interest and he walked away for a free. I am stunned Bristol City are willing to pay £5m for him. He has the potential to be worth that in the future, but it's a big risk given his history. IF and that's a big IF, Hurst was allowed to reinvest £5m into the squad from the sale then I would be thrilled with this bit of business. We have played large periods without Webster anyway. It could easily spark Hurst making 4 or 5 lower league signings that would drastically improve the squad. I like Webster I really do. But £5m for a player with his injury record and appearances in the Championship is crazy. Before anyone says Flint got £7m and was older, this is a decent performer at our level for years who has a ridiculous scoring record as well and an outstanding leader. If we turn down £5m we could easily be sat here in a few years wishing we'd have taken it, like many of us have thought with Didz.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2018 15:26]

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:30 - Jun 27 with 3211 viewsSimonds92

In the current market if he plays a full season hes worth 3 times that.
Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:32 - Jun 27 with 3192 viewsskyblue23

Won't be reinvested as the Cresswell and Mings money wasn't. I can't see Evans suddenly offering Hurst £5million to spend. I'm 50/50 with this as he is a very good defender but as you say he isn't available due to so many injuries!

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:32 - Jun 27 with 3183 viewsDanFord

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:30 - Jun 27 by Simonds92

What about if he plays a 1/3 of a season though? As is usually the case? You never know. Steven bloody Taylor played about 50 times for Peterborough last year, but we need to sell to strengthen the squad and from what we know of Hurst's recruitment, with that money to spend he could be lethal. Selling Webster makes sense in my view as long as Hurst gets the cash.

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:33 - Jun 27 with 3172 viewsIllinoisblue

really? 15mill for a midtable championship defender?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:34 - Jun 27 with 3161 viewsDanFord

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:32 - Jun 27 by skyblue23

Won't be reinvested as the Cresswell and Mings money wasn't. I can't see Evans suddenly offering Hurst £5million to spend. I'm 50/50 with this as he is a very good defender but as you say he isn't available due to so many injuries!

I think it's clear Evans has shifted his policy somewhat. I cannot imagine Hurst would agree to sell Webster and not get the money to spend? I also don't see Evans making the decision on this against Hurst's wishes anyway, certainly not so early into his tenure. I see this very much as a joint decision made so that Hurst can go after other players like Tilt or Nsiala and strengthen other areas too.

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:35 - Jun 27 with 3140 viewsDanFord

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:33 - Jun 27 by Illinoisblue

A fully fit Webster is probably a £7m player in this division based on ability. To get £5m when he misses a good deal of each season is fantastic business. Nothing to say that Hurst isn't lining up the next Webster a fee similar to the £800k or so we paid.

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:37 - Jun 27 with 3120 viewsskyblue23

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:34 - Jun 27 by DanFord

I think it's clear Evans has shifted his policy somewhat. I cannot imagine Hurst would agree to sell Webster and not get the money to spend? I also don't see Evans making the decision on this against Hurst's wishes anyway, certainly not so early into his tenure. I see this very much as a joint decision made so that Hurst can go after other players like Tilt or Nsiala and strengthen other areas too.

Possibly he could have assurances he can sign another defender with some of the money, but I can't see £5 million being given to him to use on the squad. Maybe a million considering what we spent on Waggy and Garner for two players.

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:40 - Jun 27 with 3096 viewsWestcountryblue

The market is completely different ! Over the past 4 years, transfer prices have become even more inflated. The books will have to be balanced and PH will see very little of that money. To bring a CB of Webster's quality in will set us back a couple of million anyway, so it doesn't make much sense.

I'd like ITFC to show a bit more resolve and ask for the 7m they received for Flint. As far as i'm concerned, if Bristol City get 40 odd games out of him this year, they will probably double or maybe even triple their money if a Premiership club comes calling.

Poor deal ITFC. A real disappointing way to start the season.
Login to get fewer ads

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:40 - Jun 27 with 3089 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Really good read, and a very valid point. I fear this time next year £5 million will look embarrassing and he could make an eight figure move to the Prem. in today’s market £5 million looks slightly laughable to me. Young ball playing, big, quick defender of his standards is an 8-9 million pound player.

It absolutely guaranteed Bartosz will be gone this summer aswell. We could collect 9 million for the pair and we know it won’t be reinvested, £500,000-£750,000 will be spent on lower league players.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:41 - Jun 27 with 3083 viewsWestcountryblue

Lot's of squad weren't involved last season and it's hardly surprising that Andy Liddel ducked out of the back door when McCarthy went.
Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:42 - Jun 27 with 3074 viewsDanFord

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:40 - Jun 27 by Westcountryblue

The market is completely different ! Over the past 4 years, transfer prices have become even more inflated. The books will have to be balanced and PH will see very little of that money. To bring a CB of Webster's quality in will set us back a couple of million anyway, so it doesn't make much sense.

I'd like ITFC to show a bit more resolve and ask for the 7m they received for Flint. As far as i'm concerned, if Bristol City get 40 odd games out of him this year, they will probably double or maybe even triple their money if a Premiership club comes calling.

Why are you assuming Bristol City will get 40 games out of him? That's like saying we shouldn't let Carayol leave because he could get 20 goals next year and be worth £5m. Webster hasn't played close to 40 games in a season since we signed him. You seem intent on how much he will be worth if he plays 40 games there. What if he plays 15 times this year and 15 the season after. What will he be worth then? With his record that seems more likely!

on 15:44 - Jun 27 with 3045 views_

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:33 - Jun 27 by Illinoisblue

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:45 - Jun 27 with 3043 viewsDanFord

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:40 - Jun 27 by TheTrueBlue1878

Really good read, and a very valid point. I fear this time next year £5 million will look embarrassing and he could make an eight figure move to the Prem. in today’s market £5 million looks slightly laughable to me. Young ball playing, big, quick defender of his standards is an 8-9 million pound player.

It absolutely guaranteed Bartosz will be gone this summer aswell. We could collect 9 million for the pair and we know it won’t be reinvested, £500,000-£750,000 will be spent on lower league players.

I don't agree. I am quite optimistic that Evans will back Hurst at this juncture and give him a decent proportion to shape his own squad. He didn't back Mick as much because Mick proved he could get us there or thereabouts with peanuts. The division is richer, Hurst is less experienced and he could well pick up several more Websters with a few million to reinvest.

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:45 - Jun 27 with 3027 viewsSimonds92

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:40 - Jun 27 by Westcountryblue

First and foremost hes a very good defender. On top of that he can play. He's potentially the best young cb in the division, if he plays the whole season he will be in the prem following season.
Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:46 - Jun 27 with 3003 viewsKieran_Knows

That money was reinvested ... just badly by MM.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:47 - Jun 27 with 2999 viewsDanFord

on 15:44 - Jun 27 by _

Undisclosed, but reported in a few places as £4.5m. Stones to Everton was only £3m. We are getting £5m for a player who is never fit.

on 15:50 - Jun 27 with 2968 views_

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:47 - Jun 27 by DanFord

Undisclosed, but reported in a few places as £4.5m. Stones to Everton was only £3m. We are getting £5m for a player who is never fit.

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:50 - Jun 27 with 2955 viewsDanFord

on 15:50 - Jun 27 by _

Sky are reporting it is pretty much done and he's having a medical. They are rarely wrong once they get to that stage.

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:54 - Jun 27 with 2909 viewshomer_123

He appears physically unable to play a full season though.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 16:01 - Jun 27 with 2847 viewsDanFord

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:54 - Jun 27 by homer_123

He appears physically unable to play a full season though.

Haven't you heard? Webster, Dozzell, Bishop and Huws are all going to play 46 games next year now Liddell is gone and McGoldrick will resign after all and play a full season too.

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 16:04 - Jun 27 with 2818 viewsWestcountryblue

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 16:01 - Jun 27 by DanFord

Haven't you heard? Webster, Dozzell, Bishop and Huws are all going to play 46 games next year now Liddell is gone and McGoldrick will resign after all and play a full season too.

Our injury record last season...unusually poor wouldn't you say?
Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 16:09 - Jun 27 with 2786 viewsAshFinland

The OP makes an excellent point. I’ve read the phrase “if he plays the whole season” about 37 times during this thread. That is indeed possible. However, it hasn’t happened in the two years he has been here. I have seen so many posts on this forum describing David McGoldrick as “the most talented player we have.” What is the point in having a talented player who is barely ever fit? Five million quid for a relatively unproven centre half - who always has a mistake in him and hasn’t played a great deal of football at this level - represents great business. Let’s see who Paul Hurst brings in :)

"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of."

on 20:31 - Jun 27 with 2627 views_

Adam Webster - The case for double standards on 15:50 - Jun 27 by DanFord

Sky are reporting it is pretty much done and he's having a medical. They are rarely wrong once they get to that stage.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024