Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... 08:31 - Jun 14 with 2142 viewsMatt_Netherlands

But I’ve just sat on the train wondering what our best moment under him was, and how good it would be for old Geoff Hurst to get his feeling like that again next season...

This moment of momentarily being top on Boxing Day, with murph bang in form and a big away following has to be up there!! Others for me would be the Chaplow winner, Noel Huuuuuuunt, the Andserson equaliser (forgetting what happened afterwards). Can’t wait for numerous answers of “WEN HE LEFT INNIT!”

Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... on 08:35 - Jun 14 with 2104 viewsHerbivore

The play off season was fantastic, lots of good moments. Just a real shame how the second half of the second leg at Carrow Road panned out.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... on 08:42 - Jun 14 with 2067 viewsSimonds92

We were brilliant that day. We blew it though through his cautious tactics trying to hold on for so long. That day we were in their faces pressing the ball from the first second. If we had continued that for the rest of the season we may have seen a different outcome.
Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... on 08:45 - Jun 14 with 2052 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... on 08:42 - Jun 14 by Simonds92

We were brilliant that day. We blew it though through his cautious tactics trying to hold on for so long. That day we were in their faces pressing the ball from the first second. If we had continued that for the rest of the season we may have seen a different outcome.

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say we blew the playoff season due to Micks tactics - the season went downhill when Evans refused to invest in January and a thin squad struggled to keep up that intensity through the rest of the season

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... on 08:46 - Jun 14 with 2047 viewsHerbivore

Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... on 08:42 - Jun 14 by Simonds92

That's not really an accurate account of what happened that season.

Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... on 08:54 - Jun 14 with 2023 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... on 08:45 - Jun 14 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say we blew the playoff season due to Micks tactics - the season went downhill when Evans refused to invest in January and a thin squad struggled to keep up that intensity through the rest of the season

He didn’t refuse to invest. Honestly why do people try to stir up nonsense when they know none of the facts.

Freddie Sears came in and did very well didn’t he. Had we signed a 5m player would they have done much more than Sears - I doubt it.

The real issue with that season was Didzy getting injured playing in a cup game. Probably the only time I would have agreed with Mick’s usual approach of resting first team players in such games, especially a player as injury prone (and vital) as McGoldrick.
Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... on 09:01 - Jun 14 with 2000 viewsTJS

Easy - equaliser at Carrot Road in the play-off semi.
Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... on 09:02 - Jun 14 with 2005 viewsconnorscontract

You've got some good ones there.

The other one that comes to mind was the minute's applause for the young supporter who had died which culminated in Murphy scoring. Absolutely amazing moment.

That spanking of Sunderland and Celina realising he had his own song was pretty special, too.

There were lots of good memories. Mick did a great job for a long time. It's sad that things soured, but it's part of his DNA to distance himself from fans and to ignore criticism.
Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... on 09:19 - Jun 14 with 1954 viewsHerbivore

Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... on 08:54 - Jun 14 by PrideOfTheEast

He didn’t refuse to invest. Honestly why do people try to stir up nonsense when they know none of the facts.

Freddie Sears came in and did very well didn’t he. Had we signed a 5m player would they have done much more than Sears - I doubt it.

The real issue with that season was Didzy getting injured playing in a cup game. Probably the only time I would have agreed with Mick’s usual approach of resting first team players in such games, especially a player as injury prone (and vital) as McGoldrick.

Didz's injury was a blow for sure, however Sears did a cracking job replacing him. I think it was the general lack of depth that was an issue, when you play such a high tempo and high intensity game as we did that season it's hard for the same small group of players to sustain it over 46+ tough games. If we'd had a bit more quality to feel confident in rotating the side a bit more we perhaps could have sustained a genuine push for the top 2.

A similar thing happened with Hurst's Shrewsbury side this year, they played 60+ games with a small squad and looked absolutely done in that playoff final. I'm hoping that he'll have the squad here to have learnt from that and to rotate a bit more to be able to sustain that style of play over a whole season. If we can do that then who knows what we might achieve under him. We've seen that we can match the big boys through being hard working and organised but with a bit of quality too, it's just trying to sustain that consistently that's been an issue.

Login to get fewer ads

Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... on 09:20 - Jun 14 with 1946 viewsSW6Tractor

Millwall away that season was great
Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... on 10:21 - Jun 14 with 1837 viewsPendejo

Charlton Home 3-0 win 27,000 crowd

Then McG get's injured, Murphy's goals stopped flowing and its been downhill since

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... on 11:17 - Jun 14 with 1756 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Apologies in advance to those who are offended by the words M**** M*****y... on 08:54 - Jun 14 by PrideOfTheEast

Sears was a good signing and did well but we needed more depth to come in. Not massive - I remember at the time Derby made several big signings which was always going to be beyond us and disrupt the balance of the side but we definitely needed more than we got

The injury to McGoldrick fairly reinforces that point to me - that we were always going to struggle to maintain the pace we were at with the squad we had

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024