Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching that team of 1999.... 16:37 - Apr 4 with 3601 viewsblaggers

Found this on YouTube yesterday, - the full match of when we beat Swindon away 4-1. Two things strike me today watching that - how good the football we were playing in this division (albeit 19 years ago) was, and also thinking about which players - if any - in the current team would get into that team.

Secondly, and rather poignantly given today's news, watching Ray Wilkins as a pundit on this game talk about how we were the best footballing team in the league. RIP Ray, and let's hope that one day ITFC will entertain us again like they used to.

Poll: What happens next?

Watching that team of 1999.... on 16:58 - Apr 4 with 3530 viewsnorfsufblue

Just watched 2 mins of that and we had 5 chances to score!! And they are not highlights either!
Watching that team of 1999.... on 17:05 - Apr 4 with 3506 viewssparks

Was a very enjoyable afternoon. Did similar jobs on other sides too.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Watching that team of 1999.... on 17:05 - Apr 4 with 3501 viewsbenno1uk

Watching that team of 1999.... on 16:58 - Apr 4 by norfsufblue

Just watched 2 mins of that and we had 5 chances to score!! And they are not highlights either!

But football's moved on we keep getting told. Bull - Get Burley in now.
Watching that team of 1999.... on 17:25 - Apr 4 with 3452 viewsSomethingBlue

Remember that game well — brilliant bolt from the blue by Grazioli for them, followed by a tight first half and then we really put them to the sword in the second. Scored 10 goals at Swindon in the space of a few months. Those sun-drenched early- and late-season games in the Burley era will stay with me forever.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Watching that team of 1999.... on 17:39 - Apr 4 with 3416 viewsBudapestByBlimp

Thanks for that. I'd forgotten how much our centre-backs contributed to attacks, particularly Venus. Happy days indeed.
Watching that team of 1999.... on 17:39 - Apr 4 with 3411 viewslongtimefan

Watching that team of 1999.... on 17:05 - Apr 4 by benno1uk

But football's moved on we keep getting told. Bull - Get Burley in now.

And to think Norwich fans reckon we live in the past......
Watching that team of 1999.... on 18:43 - Apr 4 with 3325 viewsEastTownBlue

Watching that team of 1999.... on 17:25 - Apr 4 by SomethingBlue

Remember that game well — brilliant bolt from the blue by Grazioli for them, followed by a tight first half and then we really put them to the sword in the second. Scored 10 goals at Swindon in the space of a few months. Those sun-drenched early- and late-season games in the Burley era will stay with me forever.

We won there four seasons in a row scoring 4,2,6 & 4 goals in the process.
Watching that team of 1999.... on 18:50 - Apr 4 with 3317 viewsEastTownBlue

Ray Wilkins along with Nigel Spackman was a regular on the Football League coverage at that time. He certainly was a fan of the Burley team of that era.
Login to get fewer ads

Watching that team of 1999.... on 19:52 - Apr 4 with 3233 viewsbluejake78

We took the ground.
6-0 great day out.
https://thewashbag.com/2012/02/07/hall-of-shame-5/
Watching that team of 1999.... on 20:03 - Apr 4 with 3215 viewsHipsterectomy

I can't believe how bad that interface is and I grew up watching games from this era. The clock blends in with the background 90% of the time ffs

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Watching that team of 1999.... on 20:11 - Apr 4 with 3192 viewsmonytowbray

I remember watching this in a bar in Ibiza with my family and a couple of also holidaying Swindon fans. My Dad got really drunk and was jumping up and down in the lift singing Town songs. LOL.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Watching that team of 1999.... on 21:18 - Apr 4 with 3108 viewspatrickswell

Watching that team of 1999.... on 18:43 - Apr 4 by EastTownBlue

We won there four seasons in a row scoring 4,2,6 & 4 goals in the process.

Around that Swindon game, we beat Nottingham Forest 3-1 at home on the opening day. It was bookended by a 4-0 aggregate win over Brentford in the League Cup. Also that month a 1-0 win over Bolton, a 2-2 draw (from 2 up) at Sheffield United and then into the international break with a 6-1 win over Barnsley.

We almost used to take months like that for granted, once upon a time....
Watching that team of 1999.... on 02:05 - Apr 5 with 2986 viewsblaggers

Watching that team of 1999.... on 21:18 - Apr 4 by patrickswell

Around that Swindon game, we beat Nottingham Forest 3-1 at home on the opening day. It was bookended by a 4-0 aggregate win over Brentford in the League Cup. Also that month a 1-0 win over Bolton, a 2-2 draw (from 2 up) at Sheffield United and then into the international break with a 6-1 win over Barnsley.

We almost used to take months like that for granted, once upon a time....

...and the utter frustration when we'd watch teams like Grimsby or Port Vale turn up just to try and scrape a point at Portman Road. It's hard to remember in recent years games where we've either been this creative or dominant. Great days.

Poll: What happens next?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024