Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t 16:03 - Sep 28 with 20718 viewsElderGrizzly

Interesting article. Tories got 50% of the "centrist" vote in the last election, while Labour got 26%.

The article goes on to show how Labour have no more votes to gain from his core base on the left, so to get into No.10 needs to win the middle ground. And he appears to be the Achilles heel to doing that.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/28/jeremy-corbyn-policies-you
[Post edited 28 Sep 2017 16:18]
Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters. But he still isn’ on 16:07 - Sep 28 with 7539 viewsBergholtBru

Something to do with the idiots who follow him about maybe?

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters. But he still isn’ on 16:13 - Sep 28 with 7529 viewsBlueBadger

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters. But he still isn’ on 16:07 - Sep 28 by BergholtBru

Something to do with the idiots who follow him about maybe?

He's no Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, let's face it.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2017 16:13]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 16:24 - Sep 28 with 7492 viewsazuremerlangus

To quote Micky Flanagan from his gig last night "I'm voting for Jezza, but if he gets in I'm going off-shore"

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 16:38 - Sep 28 with 7449 viewslowhouseblue

partly that reflects how the tories fought the 2017 election. they focused on competence and corbyn's lack of it. they didn't focus on economics (god knows why). the policies the article mentions are in essence economic, and they are things that the tories have traditionally been able to make centrist voters very worried about. the next election will be nothing like the last election.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

on 16:40 - Sep 28 with 7432 views_

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 16:38 - Sep 28 by lowhouseblue

partly that reflects how the tories fought the 2017 election. they focused on competence and corbyn's lack of it. they didn't focus on economics (god knows why). the policies the article mentions are in essence economic, and they are things that the tories have traditionally been able to make centrist voters very worried about. the next election will be nothing like the last election.

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 16:43 - Sep 28 with 7416 viewslowhouseblue

on 16:40 - Sep 28 by _

you mean he didn't win in 2017?? jeez some one's going to have to break that to the labour party conference delegates. they're not going to take it well.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 16:44 - Sep 28 with 7418 viewsDolly2.0

It's those oh so reliable polls again! Yay!

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 16:45 - Sep 28 with 7414 viewsElderGrizzly

It all depends when it is. I can't see it being within the next 2 years by which time the 'bounce' from Corbyn might have subsided. You can't keep on election footing forever.

The biggest risk (apart from the centrist issue), is he stands a good chance of losing a lot of "leave" votes given Labour's current stance on Brexit. 70% of Labour's constituencies voted to leave, so could turn on him if they don't get what they voted for.
Login to get fewer ads

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 16:45 - Sep 28 with 7405 viewsElderGrizzly

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 16:44 - Sep 28 by Dolly2.0

It's those oh so reliable polls again! Yay!

The %'s quoted are actual results, not polls. Boooo!
on 16:47 - Sep 28 with 7399 views_

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 16:45 - Sep 28 by ElderGrizzly

It all depends when it is. I can't see it being within the next 2 years by which time the 'bounce' from Corbyn might have subsided. You can't keep on election footing forever.

The biggest risk (apart from the centrist issue), is he stands a good chance of losing a lot of "leave" votes given Labour's current stance on Brexit. 70% of Labour's constituencies voted to leave, so could turn on him if they don't get what they voted for.

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 16:49 - Sep 28 with 7393 viewsElderGrizzly

on 16:47 - Sep 28 by _

Well it has to be, as it's predicting what might happen :)

I can't see why the Tories would call an election they stand a good chance of losing?

I can see an election after 2019 EU leave date however. If it helps, that's what is being discussed within the senior Civil Service.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2017 16:50]
Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 16:49 - Sep 28 with 7389 viewshype313

on 16:47 - Sep 28 by _

Can't see it, the Tories know it would be suicidal if they did.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

on 16:52 - Sep 28 with 7374 views_

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 16:49 - Sep 28 by ElderGrizzly

Well it has to be, as it's predicting what might happen :)

I can't see why the Tories would call an election they stand a good chance of losing?

I can see an election after 2019 EU leave date however. If it helps, that's what is being discussed within the senior Civil Service.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2017 16:50]

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 17:02 - Sep 28 with 7356 viewsStokieBlue

You're a reasonable chap Libby, do you not question how they are going to pay for all the policies they have put forward? I've seen a lot of people say the conference was inspirational (I agree many policies sound nice) but none of them seem to question anything about the policies - it's worrying.

They haven't given any idea how they will pay for them and McDonnell is even looking into a run on the pound if they are implemented.

For instance, we can't afford at the moment to give free tuition to students, how on earth can they afford free tuition to everyone for life? That's just one of about 20 policies which require vast amounts of capital. What about the rent caps? They don't lower rent just cap the increases at inflation but that's not reported, all that is reported is that it's an amazing thing to cap rents - it's not lowering rents to make it more affordable.

Or do these things not matter? Anyone can promise the earth, whether they can deliver is what should be considered and investigated.

SB
[Post edited 28 Sep 2017 17:04]

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 17:07 - Sep 28 with 7340 viewsElderGrizzly

on 16:52 - Sep 28 by _

There is. They just don't tend to skin themselves
Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 17:30 - Sep 28 with 7280 viewsDolly2.0

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 16:45 - Sep 28 by ElderGrizzly

The %'s quoted are actual results, not polls. Boooo!

Polls are quoted throughout that article. Boooooooo!

on 17:33 - Sep 28 with 7270 views_

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 17:02 - Sep 28 by StokieBlue

You're a reasonable chap Libby, do you not question how they are going to pay for all the policies they have put forward? I've seen a lot of people say the conference was inspirational (I agree many policies sound nice) but none of them seem to question anything about the policies - it's worrying.

They haven't given any idea how they will pay for them and McDonnell is even looking into a run on the pound if they are implemented.

For instance, we can't afford at the moment to give free tuition to students, how on earth can they afford free tuition to everyone for life? That's just one of about 20 policies which require vast amounts of capital. What about the rent caps? They don't lower rent just cap the increases at inflation but that's not reported, all that is reported is that it's an amazing thing to cap rents - it's not lowering rents to make it more affordable.

Or do these things not matter? Anyone can promise the earth, whether they can deliver is what should be considered and investigated.

SB
[Post edited 28 Sep 2017 17:04]

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 18:21 - Sep 28 with 7195 viewsjaykay

well he must be doing something right as nearly every thread you start is about corbyn.
then the right wing section of this board come storming in.
me personally cant see anything wrong in having a proper left wing party and not tory lite in in opposition .

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 18:52 - Sep 28 with 7172 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

on 17:33 - Sep 28 by _

*We're the 5th richest country in the world and spend ridiculous amounts of money on nuclear arms*

No we aren't, we are ranked about 11th I believe and that is based on the capital value of land. We could of course sell all property and houses in the UK and go and live in tents on the Yorkshire Moors to fund these schemes if you like?

*we magicked up billions to save the banks*
which is the reaon for the growing national debt which is already stifling public spending

*we currently have a situation where we knowingly allow giant corporates to exploit tax loopholes*
Agree something needs doing about this but what? We could block services like amazon or google at the gateway and ban apple product, etc but not sure that pressure would have any effect other than we lose those providers.

*We've austserity for the best part of a decade and still the debt is growing while simultaneously the gap between the wealthy and the poor grows and grows and grows.*
see above

The good news is that there are still PLENTY of well paid jobs out there for those who are willing to work hard and develop a career. I agree there are issues for those who aren't capable of doing that and some money needs to be put into social housing but that's about it. Claiming that capitalism ha failed is moronic in the extreme.
on 19:01 - Sep 28 with 7163 views_

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 18:52 - Sep 28 by FrowsyArmLarry

*We're the 5th richest country in the world and spend ridiculous amounts of money on nuclear arms*

No we aren't, we are ranked about 11th I believe and that is based on the capital value of land. We could of course sell all property and houses in the UK and go and live in tents on the Yorkshire Moors to fund these schemes if you like?

*we magicked up billions to save the banks*
which is the reaon for the growing national debt which is already stifling public spending

*we currently have a situation where we knowingly allow giant corporates to exploit tax loopholes*
Agree something needs doing about this but what? We could block services like amazon or google at the gateway and ban apple product, etc but not sure that pressure would have any effect other than we lose those providers.

*We've austserity for the best part of a decade and still the debt is growing while simultaneously the gap between the wealthy and the poor grows and grows and grows.*
see above

The good news is that there are still PLENTY of well paid jobs out there for those who are willing to work hard and develop a career. I agree there are issues for those who aren't capable of doing that and some money needs to be put into social housing but that's about it. Claiming that capitalism ha failed is moronic in the extreme.

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 19:05 - Sep 28 with 7151 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

on 19:01 - Sep 28 by _

I wasn't calling you a moron, I was referring to Corbyn. However, I guess you are a moron for believing in his fairy stories and it's people like you who will destroy the economy for good if you vote him in.
Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 19:14 - Sep 28 with 7143 viewsStokieBlue

on 19:01 - Sep 28 by _

I'll get back to your post a bit later.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 19:17 - Sep 28 with 7138 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 19:14 - Sep 28 by StokieBlue

I'll get back to your post a bit later.

SB

You better agree with him or there'll be tears
[Post edited 28 Sep 2017 19:19]
Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 19:21 - Sep 28 with 7116 viewsDolly2.0

on 17:33 - Sep 28 by _

Fantastic post Libster. You've nailed my position also. I was just going to post "have you forgotten Theresa's magic money tree?" but that would've been rather glib next to your fulsome answer.

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 19:22 - Sep 28 with 7110 viewsDolly2.0

Corbyn’s policies really are popular with centrist voters.But he still isn’t on 18:21 - Sep 28 by jaykay

well he must be doing something right as nearly every thread you start is about corbyn.
then the right wing section of this board come storming in.
me personally cant see anything wrong in having a proper left wing party and not tory lite in in opposition .

Well, quite.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024