Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Log supplies 10:26 - Mar 5 with 1283 viewsBergholtBru

My new abode has a wood burning stove which is very efficient. Fortunately the previous owner left a good supply of logs but they won`t last forever. Anyone know a good local supplier of seasoned logs at a reasonable price?

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Log supplies on 10:36 - Mar 5 with 1261 viewsgerard1947

I'm assuming you live in Bergolt if that's the case no. My son is a tree surgeon and sells logs but distance would make it too expensive. It's much cheaper to buy unseasoned if you have the room to store it and let nature take its course. The type of wood makes a big difference too, there's lots of leylandi about. Using this all the time gums up your flue, it's the resin in the wood.
Log supplies on 11:41 - Mar 5 with 1202 viewscooperd5

Log supplies on 10:36 - Mar 5 by gerard1947

I'm assuming you live in Bergolt if that's the case no. My son is a tree surgeon and sells logs but distance would make it too expensive. It's much cheaper to buy unseasoned if you have the room to store it and let nature take its course. The type of wood makes a big difference too, there's lots of leylandi about. Using this all the time gums up your flue, it's the resin in the wood.

We used to use logs but price and quality are so variable that this winter we bought a pallet of heat logs. They are brilliant, burn well, low on ash and so much easier to store. Cheap in bulk too. Here's where ours came from
https://www.dawsonsfuels.co.uk/pallet-of-dawsons-fuels-heat-logs?gclid=CjwKEAiAi
Log supplies on 12:10 - Mar 5 with 1165 viewsgerard1947

Log supplies on 11:41 - Mar 5 by cooperd5

We used to use logs but price and quality are so variable that this winter we bought a pallet of heat logs. They are brilliant, burn well, low on ash and so much easier to store. Cheap in bulk too. Here's where ours came from
https://www.dawsonsfuels.co.uk/pallet-of-dawsons-fuels-heat-logs?gclid=CjwKEAiAi

I've heard they work well.

My son has a never ending source of logs given his job. He uses wood for all his heating and water during the winter. In the summer he uses an immersion heater for water. He is very fussy on the wood he uses, ash, silver birch, etc. I'm amazed at how little ash he has to dispose of, less than a dustbin full a year which I use on my onions .. good potash.
Log supplies on 12:14 - Mar 5 with 1156 viewsRyorry

Log supplies on 12:10 - Mar 5 by gerard1947

I've heard they work well.

My son has a never ending source of logs given his job. He uses wood for all his heating and water during the winter. In the summer he uses an immersion heater for water. He is very fussy on the wood he uses, ash, silver birch, etc. I'm amazed at how little ash he has to dispose of, less than a dustbin full a year which I use on my onions .. good potash.

How much ash in proportion to soil or compost do you use Gerard? (amount to, say, a 5-gallon bucket?)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Log supplies on 12:32 - Mar 5 with 1129 viewsgerard1947

Log supplies on 12:14 - Mar 5 by Ryorry

How much ash in proportion to soil or compost do you use Gerard? (amount to, say, a 5-gallon bucket?)

I sprinkle a couple of handfulls per metre rake it in then plant my onion sets. Too much sprinkled on the top forms a crust when it gets wet. If you are burning coal with the wood I wouldn't use it.
Log supplies on 12:43 - Mar 5 with 1111 viewsLord_Lucan

I'm just lifting 25 x 2m sleepers (untreated) which would make fantastic firewood if you can collect and cut them up. I've literally just offered them to someone else though and he is looking at them tomorrow and will gravel my patio in return if he wants them. He may not want them though so PM me if you are interested.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Log supplies on 13:04 - Mar 5 with 1075 viewsMJallday

ive just shifted 4 tonnes of wood, i put it for recycling rather than burning though. you could have had it (distance might have been a problem though)

just pop out to a forest with an axe.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Log supplies on 13:14 - Mar 5 with 1046 viewsRyorry

Log supplies on 12:32 - Mar 5 by gerard1947

I sprinkle a couple of handfulls per metre rake it in then plant my onion sets. Too much sprinkled on the top forms a crust when it gets wet. If you are burning coal with the wood I wouldn't use it.

Cheers.

Login to get fewer ads

Log supplies on 15:53 - Mar 5 with 982 viewsVic

No idea really for Bergholt area.

I've used these before - http://www.kilnfarm.com/firewood/. Cheapest I've found in the IP5 area, but .o idea if they'd come as far as you though!

Alternative could be to get a friendly builder to give you his off cuts (no good for open fire but know a few people that use them in log burners.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Log supplies on 17:23 - Mar 5 with 905 viewsRyorry

Log supplies on 15:53 - Mar 5 by Vic

No idea really for Bergholt area.

I've used these before - http://www.kilnfarm.com/firewood/. Cheapest I've found in the IP5 area, but .o idea if they'd come as far as you though!

Alternative could be to get a friendly builder to give you his off cuts (no good for open fire but know a few people that use them in log burners.

Best not to use softwood in burners either, as it tends to tar flues & chimneys up, with potentially v. serious consequences.

Log supplies on 18:38 - Mar 5 with 861 viewsfabian_illness

I've got a bloke at Hintlesham.
PM if you want the details.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024