Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC Legends.... 11:36 - Jan 12 with 715 viewsBluebell

No I don't mean the bar above the SAR stand!

Reading something about Town Legends (I think it does need a capital letter!) got me thinking.

John Wark, Mick Mills, Russell Osman, Paul Mariner and Kevin Beattie are all Ipswich Legends to name a few. They have places in the Ipswich Hall of Fame and deservedly so.

After them came the likes of Jim Magilton, Matt Holland, Martijn Reuser, Marcus Stewart, and even Pablo and Shefki. They will be remembered for ever by the fans who were lucky enough to see them play. To me they were Legends.

Then we come to more recent players. I am thinking of the last 9/10 years that Marcus Evans has been involved with the team we all love. How many players from this recent era will be considered candidates for a Legend of Ipswich Town? I can’t think of one!

Players from that time among them are Grant Leadbitter, Gareth McCauley, Jon Walters, Damien Delaney and Arran Cresswell who have all gone on to Premier League clubs and may have gained legend status with them, but were never Legends for us. The only thing we remember Leadbitter for is his corners to the first man, Delaney for his hoof ball (so familiar now!) and Jon Walters for the story of him sending his vomit to Roy Keane!

The youngsters of today have never seen a Legend play for us. Why is this? Can we blame the managers for not finding ‘amazing’ footballers or do we blame ME for not investing enough money? We know Jim Magilton, Roy Keane and Paul Jewell were given millions to spend on players so why didn’t they find just one who could become a Legend?

The fans sing “We want our Ipswich back”. I know exactly what they mean because I want MY Ipswich back.

Although I have posted that I still hope that MM can turn it round but it is looking very unlikely. Four years as a manager is very rare in this day and age and I am beginning to see why!

[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 11:38]
ITFC Legends.... on 11:38 - Jan 12 with 699 viewsKeno

Tommy Smith?

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

ITFC Legends.... on 11:40 - Jan 12 with 669 viewsBluebell

ITFC Legends.... on 11:38 - Jan 12 by Keno

Tommy Smith?

Love the avatar Keno.

I did wonder about Tommy and maybe in years to come he will prove to be a Legend.
ITFC Legends.... on 11:53 - Jan 12 with 641 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

ITFC Legends.... on 11:38 - Jan 12 by Keno

Tommy Smith?

He could be in a few years given his length of service, though the term of 'Legend' is used far too frequently. The ones you used were all worthy because of their importance during successful periods for the club.
ITFC Legends.... on 11:55 - Jan 12 with 634 viewsbrazil1982

After the early 1980s squad I struggle to list any legends. Possibly Stockwell and Holland.

I don't personally see Pablo and Kuqi as legends.

Of the past 10 years, I struggle to think of any -
ITFC Legends.... on 12:04 - Jan 12 with 615 viewsMeadowlark

ITFC Legends.... on 11:55 - Jan 12 by brazil1982

After the early 1980s squad I struggle to list any legends. Possibly Stockwell and Holland.

I don't personally see Pablo and Kuqi as legends.

Of the past 10 years, I struggle to think of any -

Marcus Stewart?
ITFC Legends.... on 12:20 - Jan 12 with 583 viewsParsley

ITFC Legends.... on 11:53 - Jan 12 by King_of_Portman_Rd

He could be in a few years given his length of service, though the term of 'Legend' is used far too frequently. The ones you used were all worthy because of their importance during successful periods for the club.

I think that's the key, it's hard for a player to be remembered as a great when the team is mediocre at best. I'm not sure about Legend but Murphy could be considered for pretty much single handedly dragging us into the playoffs and being integral to how we've played when we've been relatively successful recently.
ITFC Legends.... on 12:30 - Jan 12 with 555 viewsTractorWood

ITFC Legends.... on 12:04 - Jan 12 by Meadowlark

Marcus Stewart?

Left in 2002, 15 years ago but probably as close as anyone post 80's. Big fan of Taricco personally.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 12:35]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024