Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? 11:34 - Feb 4 with 1896 viewsEastboundSplinter

The referee really did have a bad game for both sides. Preston should have been 5-0 up before we hit a reply. Let’s hope KMcK can get us flying again ASAP.
How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 11:47 - Feb 4 with 1839 viewstonybied

The officiating was awful - for both sides - that much I agree on but Preston should've been 5-0 up before we scored? Not a chance, we were poor first half but Preston were hardly tearing us a new one! We should've been about 5-0 up in the first half against Maidstone, yesterday was hardly a comparable game to that.

No one is debating that we were nothing short of dire in the first half but there is some serious over-dramatification of the first half on here. If we were 1-0 or 2-0 down I would say that would've been a fairer score, to say we deserved to be 5-0 down is ridiculous!
[Post edited 4 Feb 11:48]
How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 11:56 - Feb 4 with 1807 viewsEastboundSplinter

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 11:47 - Feb 4 by tonybied

The officiating was awful - for both sides - that much I agree on but Preston should've been 5-0 up before we scored? Not a chance, we were poor first half but Preston were hardly tearing us a new one! We should've been about 5-0 up in the first half against Maidstone, yesterday was hardly a comparable game to that.

No one is debating that we were nothing short of dire in the first half but there is some serious over-dramatification of the first half on here. If we were 1-0 or 2-0 down I would say that would've been a fairer score, to say we deserved to be 5-0 down is ridiculous!

We were 3-0 down when they missed a sitter from 5 yards and then should have had an IFK from the edge of the 6 yard box. On that basis they should have had 5, we were fortunate to say the least.
How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 12:00 - Feb 4 with 1784 viewspointofblue

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 11:56 - Feb 4 by EastboundSplinter

We were 3-0 down when they missed a sitter from 5 yards and then should have had an IFK from the edge of the 6 yard box. On that basis they should have had 5, we were fortunate to say the least.

Though take off the first two goals if they had been disallowed and they should have been and IFK's rarely go in.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 12:07 - Feb 4 with 1747 viewstonybied

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 11:56 - Feb 4 by EastboundSplinter

Preston shouldn't have had 2 of the goals they were given. You said "should have" been 5-0 up, they could have been 5-0 up but not "should have", as I alluded to already Preston were only slightly better than poor themselves. Besides how often do you see an indirect free kick in the area result in a goal.

We did not deserve to be 3-0 down before we scored let alone 5-0.
How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 12:15 - Feb 4 with 1719 viewsSouthfieldsBlue

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 11:47 - Feb 4 by tonybied

The Hladky decision was correct apparently - there is a rule that means if a keeper attempts to play the ball but misses it, they are allowed to handle the ball.
How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 12:19 - Feb 4 with 1688 viewstonybied

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 12:15 - Feb 4 by SouthfieldsBlue

The Hladky decision was correct apparently - there is a rule that means if a keeper attempts to play the ball but misses it, they are allowed to handle the ball.

He didn't attempt to play it though. He attempted to try and beat the player and was about to lose the ball so palmed it away. It was the wrong decision from the ref.
How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 12:26 - Feb 4 with 1629 viewsPhilTWTD

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 12:19 - Feb 4 by tonybied

He didn't attempt to play it though. He attempted to try and beat the player and was about to lose the ball so palmed it away. It was the wrong decision from the ref.

Isn't that attempting to play it? Genuinely don't know for sure, but assume that counts as much as trying to hoof it down the ground.
How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 12:34 - Feb 4 with 1573 viewstonybied

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 12:26 - Feb 4 by PhilTWTD

Isn't that attempting to play it? Genuinely don't know for sure, but assume that counts as much as trying to hoof it down the ground.

I assume it means attempt to play it to another player, otherwise, what's stopping a keeper controlling a backpass and then just diving on the ball whenever they are under pressure?
Login to get fewer ads

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 12:39 - Feb 4 with 1540 viewsEastboundSplinter

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 12:34 - Feb 4 by tonybied

I assume it means attempt to play it to another player, otherwise, what's stopping a keeper controlling a backpass and then just diving on the ball whenever they are under pressure?

The law is worded to state the GK must be attempting to kick the ball into play. It’s be hard to argue that was the case.
How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 13:03 - Feb 4 with 1471 viewsScuzzer

Goalkeepers are allowed to handle the ball in their own area. ;-)
What he could have been pulled up for is picking up from an intentional back pass. But by the time he handled the ball he had already kicked the ball, all be it to himself. This enabled him to then use his hands in making a save...apparently. But the officials were really appalling. Some have said that he was a PL ref...not sure?
I think the time has come that PL refs shouldn't take charge of EFL games. They are now so tuned into using VAR that they are either missing confidence in making decisions or unable to revert to not using it.

Established 1968

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 13:09 - Feb 4 with 1436 viewsScuzzer

They couldn't have been 5-0 up. They only had 3 attempts on target in the whole game. Plus the own goal...that makes 4.
I looked at the stats for Leicester's game yesterday when they won 5-0 away...in comparison they were almost the same as our stats.
I just think for the last two games we have been very, very unlucky...both in breaks and refereeing decisions. Let's hope it changes for WBA.

Established 1968

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 13:10 - Feb 4 with 1431 viewsScuzzer

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 12:19 - Feb 4 by tonybied

He played the ball. Quite clearly.

Established 1968

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 13:14 - Feb 4 with 1410 viewsVegtablue

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 13:10 - Feb 4 by Scuzzer

He played the ball. Quite clearly.

It's been cleared up on the other thread, but only a botched pass or clearance should have protected Hladky from the back-pass infringement. Botched touches / dribbles aren't covered.

The intended contact must be to release the ball from his possession.
How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 14:05 - Feb 4 with 1305 viewstextbackup

3 down votes for stating facts.
This board is strange

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 14:11 - Feb 4 with 1279 viewslongtimefan

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 14:05 - Feb 4 by textbackup

This board is strange

The post only consisted of facts if you think “should” means the same as “could”, which it patently doesn’t.
How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 14:16 - Feb 4 with 1249 viewsVegtablue

How did Hladky get away with that handball in second half? on 14:05 - Feb 4 by textbackup

This board is strange

Weird post.

It isn't factually right to say we should have been 5-0 down before we hit a reply. Their first two goals shouldn't have counted in my opinion. You may disagree on the first but I don't know how anyone can earnestly disagree on the second.

Indirect FKs on the 6-yard line are scored half the time at a guess, maybe less than that. Hladky shouldn't have been carded for it. As awful as the first half was, I don't know how you're coming close to 5-0. It's emotional thinking of the variety 'we were rubbish so deserved a humiliating scoreline'.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024