Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Current team Vs Burley Play off team 16:46 - Dec 4 with 2178 viewstextbackup

Would be a hell of a game wouldn’t it. Considering Burleys boys would be better against footballing teams, I wouldn’t be able to call it.

(And before it gets said, yes they’ve all retired so this current lot should walk it…)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 17:04 - Dec 4 with 2107 viewshoppy

Assuming you've time-transported Burley's team to now, I think the current team would still have the edge. The football we're playing at the moment is as good as I've seen back to Sir Bobby's teams at the beginning of the 80s, even outshining the excellent sides we had under Burley.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 17:05 - Dec 4 with 2097 viewsHorsham

I think the current team probably beats Burley’s play off winners. I hope if the same question comes up at the end of the season i still think the same!
Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 18:18 - Dec 4 with 1914 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 17:04 - Dec 4 by hoppy

Assuming you've time-transported Burley's team to now, I think the current team would still have the edge. The football we're playing at the moment is as good as I've seen back to Sir Bobby's teams at the beginning of the 80s, even outshining the excellent sides we had under Burley.

After 19 matches, the current side have 45 points, +16 GD and are 2nd in the league.

That play-off side after 19 matches had 30 points, +9 GD and were 7th.

Even if football hasn't improved in quality (generally sport does), I would argue we are a better side now. Strangely, if you compare player for player, I am not sure there is much in it which means it is a lot to do with the system and tactics.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 18:26 - Dec 4 with 1899 viewsgainsboroughblue

Two varying styles and tactical line ups but a composite team discussion would be an interesting one on this.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 18:27 - Dec 4 with 1898 viewsredrickstuhaart

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 18:26 - Dec 4 by gainsboroughblue

Two varying styles and tactical line ups but a composite team discussion would be an interesting one on this.

Very hard to do because of the very different formations.

You coul dhave an interesting- what players woul;d get in the other team, assuming the other team retained its shape formation. ie would Lief get ahead of Clapham in a wing back setup? Would Hirst get Scowie's job?
Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 18:40 - Dec 4 with 1861 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 18:27 - Dec 4 by redrickstuhaart

Very hard to do because of the very different formations.

You coul dhave an interesting- what players woul;d get in the other team, assuming the other team retained its shape formation. ie would Lief get ahead of Clapham in a wing back setup? Would Hirst get Scowie's job?

A very good point. It is almost as if both managers have built teams that play to the strengths of the players involved. Burley took a bit longer to assemble his than McKenna has done. The spend is probably similar too which is remarkable considering how much transfer fees have increased.

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 18:49 - Dec 4 with 1805 viewsMK1

Don't think it is much of a debate really. Our current side would win 3-1.
Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 18:51 - Dec 4 with 1788 viewsgainsboroughblue

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 18:49 - Dec 4 by MK1

3-2 surely? Go 1 down after 5 mins. 3-1 up in injury time. Let one in at the death.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2023 18:51]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Login to get fewer ads

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 18:51 - Dec 4 with 1783 viewsNthsuffolkblue

4-2.

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 18:58 - Dec 4 with 1739 viewsDarkBrandon

And the rest.

You can’t get by with having a midfielder as immobile as Magilton these days.

Consider the attacking threats:
Hirst v Scowie
Chaplin v Stewart
Burns/Harness/Broadhead/Hutchinson v Naylor

Or the full backs.
Davis is streets ahead of Clapham
Williams v Wilnis is closer

Wright is a better shot-stopper than Hladcky, Holland would get in our side now, Stewart couldn’t play in our current system, but was excellent.

Other than that though the current side is miles ahead
Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 19:05 - Dec 4 with 1690 viewsHerbivore

Depends on who is at home I reckon.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 19:07 - Dec 4 with 1680 viewsVic

I think current team on current form would win. Styles of play are different - Burleys boys never did the play around at the back and invite the press stuff - it was more straightforward than that. More akin to SBR’s teams. But apart from the defence, where I’d say Burleys team probably had the edge, I’d say the current team is faster, more skilful and generally more athletic, which I think would give them the edge in a match against each other.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 19:09 - Dec 4 with 1663 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 17:04 - Dec 4 by hoppy

Marcus Stewart is still better than anyone we currently have now, Matt Holland was a better player than Morsy and Mass, as was Magic, Wright was a much better keeper than both Hladky and Walton, Venus and McGreal were infinitely better defenders than most the teams have had that we’ve played this season… and so on.

It’s easy to underrate the Burley side, but that group was fantastic too and did it against much better teams and a higher level than anyone the current team has faced, that’s not to under state what we are currently doing, but I think we’re forgetting how good Burley had us from 1997-01.
Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 19:24 - Dec 4 with 1611 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 19:09 - Dec 4 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

Marcus Stewart is still better than anyone we currently have now, Matt Holland was a better player than Morsy and Mass, as was Magic, Wright was a much better keeper than both Hladky and Walton, Venus and McGreal were infinitely better defenders than most the teams have had that we’ve played this season… and so on.

It’s easy to underrate the Burley side, but that group was fantastic too and did it against much better teams and a higher level than anyone the current team has faced, that’s not to under state what we are currently doing, but I think we’re forgetting how good Burley had us from 1997-01.

Burley’s team were better footballers on the whole but we play a very different style now so would be an interesting game.

Never think it’s particularly fair to compare players from one era to another.
Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 19:33 - Dec 4 with 1577 viewsMattinLondon

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 19:09 - Dec 4 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

And let’s not forget just how good that Burley team were when in possession of the ball. Kieron McKenna would love to have a defender like Mark Venus - strong, brave and such an excellent passer of the ball.

The current team I think will win, but it would be very tight.
Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 19:42 - Dec 4 with 1546 viewsHerbivore

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 19:33 - Dec 4 by MattinLondon

And let’s not forget just how good that Burley team were when in possession of the ball. Kieron McKenna would love to have a defender like Mark Venus - strong, brave and such an excellent passer of the ball.

Although as a side we did lack a bit of pace. We made up for it with other attributes but I do think that side would find our tempo and athleticism hard to deal with. Would be an incredible game I imagine, probably a 3-3 draw.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 20:00 - Dec 4 with 1503 viewsDinnernotTea

Class of 2000 would win 3-1.

Stewart and Scowie would tear Woolf and Burgess apart. Magilton Holland would be too good for Morsy Luongo.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 20:27 - Dec 4 with 1444 viewsDarkBrandon

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 19:33 - Dec 4 by MattinLondon

Magilton was clearly outstanding when he had the ball, at least as good as anyone we’ve got now.

And Venus had a good range of passive - especially his long passing. But was he better than Woolf with the ball at his feet?
Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 20:33 - Dec 4 with 1425 viewsredrickstuhaart

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 20:27 - Dec 4 by DarkBrandon

Magilton was clearly outstanding when he had the ball, at least as good as anyone we’ve got now.

And Venus had a good range of passive - especially his long passing. But was he better than Woolf with the ball at his feet?

He was different. I'd back him to put in a good cross, but not tight short passing like Wolf can.
Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 20:36 - Dec 4 with 1362 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 20:33 - Dec 4 by redrickstuhaart

He was different. I'd back him to put in a good cross, but not tight short passing like Wolf can.

Veno could take a good set piece and Magic had that over Morsy. Different players in a different system. Overall I would say the current team has it but as individual players there is little between them. Of course, that Burley team stepped up a level the following season too. Can this one? Hopefully time will tell.

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 20:44 - Dec 4 with 1336 viewsredrickstuhaart

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 20:36 - Dec 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

Veno could take a good set piece and Magic had that over Morsy. Different players in a different system. Overall I would say the current team has it but as individual players there is little between them. Of course, that Burley team stepped up a level the following season too. Can this one? Hopefully time will tell.

Well- lets look at it team by team.

Who would fit into the current side? Im looking at the champ side I suppose rather than the prem one with the likes of Bent, Hermann, etc

Wright doesn't- because he wouldnt play with his feet.
Venus possibly instead of Burgess- but then Venus wasn't big, so we would lose that strength in the air. Marginal.
Jim could do the Morsy job brilliantly. Less physical, but would do the same stuff in a different way. Always available. Stewart wouldnt work in the system. Holland would do Luongo's job too. Naylor could do Hirst's job. Scowie couldnt. Johnson would be a real challenge to Hirst though. I think he'd get the nod.

Wilnis for Clarke. Much closer Wilnis v Williams. Fab possibly still gets the nod imo.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2023 20:46]
Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 20:47 - Dec 4 with 1320 viewsolimar

Dont think its a debate currently. Firstly, dont think you can compare the relative athleticism of the teams as every generation of players are fitter than the last as a result of the training/diet etc. So, if you dropped any of those 2000 players into our current squad, they would immediately be much more mobile/faster than they were back then (i.e. even Magilton).
Secondly, the comparison of their individual careers says that the 2000 lot are much better. We dont know the ceiling of a lot of our current players admittedly, but its equally hard to suggest it will exceed many of those in the 2000 squad. Certainly, Morsy, Luongo, Hladcky, Hirst arent going to have careers like Holland, Magilton, Wright or Stewart.
Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 20:47 - Dec 4 with 1313 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Current team Vs Burley Play off team on 20:44 - Dec 4 by redrickstuhaart

Well- lets look at it team by team.

Who would fit into the current side? Im looking at the champ side I suppose rather than the prem one with the likes of Bent, Hermann, etc

Wright doesn't- because he wouldnt play with his feet.
Venus possibly instead of Burgess- but then Venus wasn't big, so we would lose that strength in the air. Marginal.
Jim could do the Morsy job brilliantly. Less physical, but would do the same stuff in a different way. Always available. Stewart wouldnt work in the system. Holland would do Luongo's job too. Naylor could do Hirst's job. Scowie couldnt. Johnson would be a real challenge to Hirst though. I think he'd get the nod.

Wilnis for Clarke. Much closer Wilnis v Williams. Fab possibly still gets the nod imo.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2023 20:46]

I think this is the main thing, in a similar way many of the current side wouldn't fit in that team either. Overall, the style we are playing and its effectiveness is superior, I would say. Didn't Stewart come in and improve the side no end too?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024