Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket World Cup 13:33 - Nov 2 with 1408 viewsgainsboroughblue

Be glad when this group stage is over.

So many one sided, uncompetitive games.

India post 350 odd
Sri Lanka 3-4 in repsonse.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Cricket World Cup on 13:34 - Nov 2 with 1398 viewsKeno

They need to look at the format is hasn't done any favours to the weaker teams like ..... eeerr.... England

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Cricket World Cup on 13:44 - Nov 2 with 1366 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket World Cup on 13:34 - Nov 2 by Keno

They need to look at the format is hasn't done any favours to the weaker teams like ..... eeerr.... England

England are usually good value so them playing essentially like another minnow has devalued things further.

India are also ridiculously strong at home so any game with them is really one sided.

So this long drawn out affair seems a real slog.

At least NZ v Pak could effectively be a quarter final at the weekend pending other results.

Cricket World Cup on 13:45 - Nov 2 with 1362 viewsSteve_M

Yes, incredibly tedious even before England's non-appearance.

It might get better by the semi-finals but everyone else might be so bored by then that India win anyway.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket World Cup on 14:00 - Nov 2 with 1345 viewsRadlett_blue

Cricket World Cup on 13:45 - Nov 2 by Steve_M

Yes, incredibly tedious even before England's non-appearance.

It might get better by the semi-finals but everyone else might be so bored by then that India win anyway.

Yet again, sports administrators want to make a competition longer, presumably with the intention of making more money. So yes, the group stage of this World Cup has been pretty dull. Wouldn't 2 groups of 5 (or 6, if they want to encourage the tier 2 countries) with the top 2 in each qualifying for the semi finals make for a more exciting, intense tournament ? Or are they scared that India, say, might get knocked out & so only play 4-5 games?
The Rugby World Cup is worse because it has so many one sided games, but the next one is going to involve 24 teams & then a round of 16, so I doubt it will be any less tedious.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Cricket World Cup on 14:12 - Nov 2 with 1321 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Now 14/6 after 10 overs.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Cricket World Cup on 14:12 - Nov 2 with 1321 viewsSteve_M

Cricket World Cup on 14:00 - Nov 2 by Radlett_blue

Yet again, sports administrators want to make a competition longer, presumably with the intention of making more money. So yes, the group stage of this World Cup has been pretty dull. Wouldn't 2 groups of 5 (or 6, if they want to encourage the tier 2 countries) with the top 2 in each qualifying for the semi finals make for a more exciting, intense tournament ? Or are they scared that India, say, might get knocked out & so only play 4-5 games?
The Rugby World Cup is worse because it has so many one sided games, but the next one is going to involve 24 teams & then a round of 16, so I doubt it will be any less tedious.

Yes, and India and Pakistan being knocked out on the same day in 2007 was a disaster for the ICC but they managed to protect that without it being this tedious.

The Champions Trophy is a much better 50 over tournament because it takes two weeks.

The idea that scarcity value is part of the attraction of watching sport has been totally lost over the last few years. The Champions League is another example of boring fans to death for the occasional TV viewer.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket World Cup on 15:46 - Nov 2 with 1268 viewsgainsboroughblue

All out 55

Pretty farcical let's be honest.

Cricket World Cup on 16:03 - Nov 2 with 1250 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I wonder if South African, Afghanistan and Netherlands fans feel the same way? I think your view is tainted by England's hopeless showing. I am sure Indian, Australian and New Zealand fans don't either.

I think part of the issue has also been a lack of teams appreciating the way to play 50 over cricket and the need to build an innings in the way South Africa have (helped very much by every batsman being bang on form).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket World Cup on 17:20 - Nov 2 with 1210 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket World Cup on 16:03 - Nov 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

I wonder if South African, Afghanistan and Netherlands fans feel the same way? I think your view is tainted by England's hopeless showing. I am sure Indian, Australian and New Zealand fans don't either.

I think part of the issue has also been a lack of teams appreciating the way to play 50 over cricket and the need to build an innings in the way South Africa have (helped very much by every batsman being bang on form).

No, not at all. I'm talking as a cricket fan. We've had 33 games and we've had a match won by 1 wicket and another by 5 runs. That's it, the rest have been by really comfortable margins and in some cases, absolute hammerings.

Obviously we've had the Netherlands and Afghanistan story but it's not been hugely immersive stuff in the main. On the days I've worked from home and watched it, I've only really needed to view just over half the game to know exactly what's going to happen.

We are ten days away from the end of the group stage and we could know the semi final line up as soon as this weekend.

England being shocking is just a bit of disappointment on top.

Cricket World Cup on 19:36 - Nov 2 with 1137 viewsgordon

Cricket World Cup on 17:20 - Nov 2 by gainsboroughblue

No, not at all. I'm talking as a cricket fan. We've had 33 games and we've had a match won by 1 wicket and another by 5 runs. That's it, the rest have been by really comfortable margins and in some cases, absolute hammerings.

Obviously we've had the Netherlands and Afghanistan story but it's not been hugely immersive stuff in the main. On the days I've worked from home and watched it, I've only really needed to view just over half the game to know exactly what's going to happen.

We are ten days away from the end of the group stage and we could know the semi final line up as soon as this weekend.

England being shocking is just a bit of disappointment on top.

Completely agree - two well-balanced groups of 5 with the top 2 going into the semi-finals would have meant that most/all games meant something - then there'd be 3 established teams in each group - the current top four plus Pakistan and England, and those great wins for Afghanistan against England and Pakistan could have secured a semi-final spot etc.

As it is, Afghanistan are very unlikely to make the semis because they aren't as consistent as the top teams, but in a one-off tournament, you want the inconsistently brilliant teams to have a crazy shot at glory - as it is it's just been so horribly predictable in terms of who will make the semi finals.
Cricket World Cup on 20:17 - Nov 2 with 1115 viewsstonojnr

Cricket World Cup on 19:36 - Nov 2 by gordon

Completely agree - two well-balanced groups of 5 with the top 2 going into the semi-finals would have meant that most/all games meant something - then there'd be 3 established teams in each group - the current top four plus Pakistan and England, and those great wins for Afghanistan against England and Pakistan could have secured a semi-final spot etc.

As it is, Afghanistan are very unlikely to make the semis because they aren't as consistent as the top teams, but in a one-off tournament, you want the inconsistently brilliant teams to have a crazy shot at glory - as it is it's just been so horribly predictable in terms of who will make the semi finals.

Well we used to have that with group stages and then the super eights that decided the semis, I don't know why they've chosen this format, it's ridiculous there is only 1 game per day.

And as much as you say it's about generating more money by extending things, the weather in India this time of year is not when you want to be wasting weeks playing meaningless games, the best time of year to play there is when the IPL is on.
Cricket World Cup on 22:13 - Nov 2 with 1059 viewsbournemouthblue

I know they were saying it has one of the lowest percentages of close games from any world cup

ie victories of 3 wickets or less or victory margins of 30 runs or less

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024