Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government 12:45 - Jul 8 with 1462 viewsArnoldMoorhen

this seems quite sweet and innocent.

But how many degrees of "out of touch" do you need to be to claim, as Rebecca Pow, the Water Minister did, in response to a question from a Tory MP:

"I think a lot of people have wells on their properties."

The MP had raised concerns that some of his constituents were being told they would be charged £100 each just to be given a quote for connection to the Mains water supply, and that they were living off a private supply that they had to boil and that sometimes had tadpoles in it.

Vote Tory for chemicals in our rivers, sh1t on our beaches, and tadpoles in our drinking water.
Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 12:47 - Jul 8 with 1441 viewspointofblue

But wells for everyone?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 13:10 - Jul 8 with 1395 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 12:47 - Jul 8 by pointofblue

But wells for everyone?

That's the rub, they just assume everyone has one already, because they do.

https://news.sky.com/story/people-forced-to-boil-water-before-use-after-discover
[Post edited 8 Jul 2023 13:16]
Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 15:31 - Jul 8 with 1322 viewsRyorry

They can save themselves the £100 for a quote, because unless Northumbrian Water is totally different from Yorkshire Water, there's no way they'll be able to afford the price they'll be charged for connection.

I was quoted £7,500 approx for a connection from house to mains supply running along the road only 120m away in 2013. Decided to stick with the groundwater well, which has lovely sweet water, but that's not a cheap option either - to be safe you have to have a treatment plant that will adjust pH when necessary, deal with excess iron etc., treat bugs via UV; and electric pumps to extract it unless you're lucky enough to have an Artesian well.

It also requires annual servicing (and if you're cautious which I am, annual laboratory testing too) - total approx £500 p/a. Though you do save on water bills from your local co. of course.

It's also subject to very ignorant bureaucratic interference by individuals from local councils who lack even the most basic understanding of how wells work. One told me to line the (brick) well with plastic, which would of course have permanently dried it up, leaving two families without any water supply at all.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 15:44 - Jul 8 with 1298 viewsiamatractorboy

"Let them drink Champagne"
Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 17:17 - Jul 8 with 1233 viewsDJR

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 15:31 - Jul 8 by Ryorry

They can save themselves the £100 for a quote, because unless Northumbrian Water is totally different from Yorkshire Water, there's no way they'll be able to afford the price they'll be charged for connection.

I was quoted £7,500 approx for a connection from house to mains supply running along the road only 120m away in 2013. Decided to stick with the groundwater well, which has lovely sweet water, but that's not a cheap option either - to be safe you have to have a treatment plant that will adjust pH when necessary, deal with excess iron etc., treat bugs via UV; and electric pumps to extract it unless you're lucky enough to have an Artesian well.

It also requires annual servicing (and if you're cautious which I am, annual laboratory testing too) - total approx £500 p/a. Though you do save on water bills from your local co. of course.

It's also subject to very ignorant bureaucratic interference by individuals from local councils who lack even the most basic understanding of how wells work. One told me to line the (brick) well with plastic, which would of course have permanently dried it up, leaving two families without any water supply at all.

Gosh! I'd assumed that, apart from in very remote areas of Scotland, everyone was on mains water.

If the mains in only 120m away, you ought, in a sane world, be connected for free, as access to clean water ought to be a right.
Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 17:55 - Jul 8 with 1174 viewsTractorWood

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 15:31 - Jul 8 by Ryorry

Interesting. Thanks for posting. The point on the council doesn't surprise me at all. They seem to exclusively hire people with strong opinions, stubbornness and no idea what they are talking about.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 18:05 - Jul 8 with 1161 viewsBlueBadger

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 17:55 - Jul 8 by TractorWood

Interesting. Thanks for posting. The point on the council doesn't surprise me at all. They seem to exclusively hire people with strong opinions, stubbornness and no idea what they are talking about.

As a by the by, how many TWTD posters are on local councils?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 18:07 - Jul 8 with 1157 viewsVegtablue

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 17:17 - Jul 8 by DJR

Gosh! I'd assumed that, apart from in very remote areas of Scotland, everyone was on mains water.

If the mains in only 120m away, you ought, in a sane world, be connected for free, as access to clean water ought to be a right.

Shocked me too, thanks Ryorry for enlightening us. I've had a google and about 1% of the population in England and Wales rely on private water supply.
Login to get fewer ads

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 11:36 - Jul 9 with 1023 viewsRyorry

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 17:17 - Jul 8 by DJR

It's even worse than that - a third of my house, originally an animal barn, was converted into a separate (but still attached) dwelling in the mid-80s by the previous owners for their daughter (I let it out long-term) is actually on the mains!

YW refused to tee off it to give me a mains supply, citing tech issues. Well I'm not a water engineer obvs, but the pipe from the road actually runs downhill to the house, a gradient I'd guesstimate at about 10-12%, so I don't see pressure being affected much, nor any backflow problem if a T were say 10m above entry to the house.

Mid-80s timing is significant, no doubt it was deemed a public service & was therefore low cost at the time - as YW wasn't privatised till 1989 ... & there we have it ... As you say, clean water should be a global right, but isn't in the so-called "Third World" - and the privatised UK ...

Some interesting articles -

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/aug/16/i-worked-on-privatisation-

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/nov/30/more-than-70-per-cent-englis

https://www.bmj.com/content/378/bmj.o2076

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 12:01 - Jul 9 with 1012 viewsRyorry

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 17:55 - Jul 8 by TractorWood

As it happens, the engineer was here on Friday for the annual service/testing & we were chatting about this. Apparently some farmers greet council visitors with shotguns & yells of "gerroff my land" - whereupon they are never bothered again 😂

(I don't have a shotgun!).

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 13:18 - Jul 10 with 877 viewsRyorry

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 11:36 - Jul 9 by Ryorry

It's even worse than that - a third of my house, originally an animal barn, was converted into a separate (but still attached) dwelling in the mid-80s by the previous owners for their daughter (I let it out long-term) is actually on the mains!

YW refused to tee off it to give me a mains supply, citing tech issues. Well I'm not a water engineer obvs, but the pipe from the road actually runs downhill to the house, a gradient I'd guesstimate at about 10-12%, so I don't see pressure being affected much, nor any backflow problem if a T were say 10m above entry to the house.

Mid-80s timing is significant, no doubt it was deemed a public service & was therefore low cost at the time - as YW wasn't privatised till 1989 ... & there we have it ... As you say, clean water should be a global right, but isn't in the so-called "Third World" - and the privatised UK ...

Some interesting articles -

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/aug/16/i-worked-on-privatisation-

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/nov/30/more-than-70-per-cent-englis

https://www.bmj.com/content/378/bmj.o2076

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 15:15 - Jul 10 with 823 viewsDJR

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 13:18 - Jul 10 by Ryorry

That is pretty shocking, but the lack of investment reflects two incidents involving my property as a result of cuts to engineers on the ground by South East Water (water) and Southern Water (drainage).
Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 15:23 - Jul 10 with 808 viewsRyorry

Compared to the usual stuff coming from the Government on 15:15 - Jul 10 by DJR

That is pretty shocking, but the lack of investment reflects two incidents involving my property as a result of cuts to engineers on the ground by South East Water (water) and Southern Water (drainage).

I hope that's not flooding ...
[Post edited 10 Jul 2023 15:25]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024