Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lolalicious. 00:04 - Jun 24 with 632 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jun/23/south-east-water-blames-work

Jutta Wrobel, 61, an artist in the village of Wadhurst, East Sussex, said: “It’s not a suitable response … This is a deflection from the real issue which is how to stop South East Water paying away all our money in dividends rather than reinvesting in our water infrastructure, which is a public utility and a human right.”

Wrobel started an online petition demanding a change of ownership of South East Water after she was left without mains water for five days earlier this month.

She added: “The barrage of victim-blaming by South East Water is what I think has riled people up.

“I’m interested in what the regulator is doing about it and whether there will be meaningful sanctions imposed on South East Water.”

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Lolalicious. on 07:28 - Jun 24 with 506 viewsDJR

As someone who lives in the area served by South East Water, the issue is lack of investment, not demand/lack of water.

To take an example, a water leak in the road near me was left by them overnight because it was cheaper not to fix it "out of hours". That is not something that would have been done when it was nationalised, and, for some reason, the water then leaked into the gas network and the water flowed down my gas pipe to my gas boiler, obviously cutting off the gas. This necessitated a large water tanker being driven down my narrow driveway to pump out the water from my gas pipes, but as it was in daylight hours, it probably cost less to them than fixing the water leak when it first arose.

To add salt to the wound, I live in an area where Southern Water do the drainage, thus meaning I pay in effect two lots of admin, on top of the cost of water/drainage, and they similarly cut corners, by not clearing out sewers but instead clearing up after drains overflow (which is much cheaper), as I have found to my cost when much of my garden was covered in sewerage.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2023 7:32]
Lolalicious. on 08:08 - Jun 24 with 452 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Lolalicious. on 07:28 - Jun 24 by DJR

As someone who lives in the area served by South East Water, the issue is lack of investment, not demand/lack of water.

To take an example, a water leak in the road near me was left by them overnight because it was cheaper not to fix it "out of hours". That is not something that would have been done when it was nationalised, and, for some reason, the water then leaked into the gas network and the water flowed down my gas pipe to my gas boiler, obviously cutting off the gas. This necessitated a large water tanker being driven down my narrow driveway to pump out the water from my gas pipes, but as it was in daylight hours, it probably cost less to them than fixing the water leak when it first arose.

To add salt to the wound, I live in an area where Southern Water do the drainage, thus meaning I pay in effect two lots of admin, on top of the cost of water/drainage, and they similarly cut corners, by not clearing out sewers but instead clearing up after drains overflow (which is much cheaper), as I have found to my cost when much of my garden was covered in sewerage.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2023 7:32]

I have a completely unfounded and unscientific hunch that the problem might not be too many people working from home!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Lolalicious. on 08:12 - Jun 24 with 437 viewsDJR

Lolalicious. on 08:08 - Jun 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

I have a completely unfounded and unscientific hunch that the problem might not be too many people working from home!

You're not wrong, especially as they had similar problems just before Christmas.

And I can't remember water companies, in the days when many women didn't work, saying there were problems with supplies because "there are too many housewives at home".
[Post edited 24 Jun 2023 8:13]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024