Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Train hack for Barnsley 00:47 - Apr 19 with 1577 viewsITFCson

Train to Barnsley next week from Ipswich - The 13.58 to Barnsley is 4 hours 10 mins with 2 changes.
The 13.58 train to wakefield (10 miles north of Barnsley) is 3 hours 1 minute with 1 change.

The cherry on the cake is the price for Wakefield train is 30% cheaper too.

I would not be surprised if all the trains to Wakefield are quicker/cheaper than to Barnsley.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 0:48]
Train hack for Barnsley on 00:49 - Apr 19 with 1560 viewsxrayspecs

Excellent. But you are ten miles from Barnsley?
Train hack for Barnsley on 07:28 - Apr 19 with 1268 viewsSteve_M

Look at booking the last bit separately too. Local trains will be £5 or less I think, ones from Sheffield are anyway.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Train hack for Barnsley on 08:34 - Apr 19 with 1119 viewsDJR

I haven't booked my ticket yet but from Kent it is cheaper to go to Barnsley than Wakefield.

I suppose it just goes to show how mad and inconsistent the pricing of rail tickets is.
Train hack for Barnsley on 17:21 - Apr 19 with 941 viewsITFCson

Train hack for Barnsley on 00:49 - Apr 19 by xrayspecs

Excellent. But you are ten miles from Barnsley?

Yep, Wakey to Barnsley train takes 15 mins and costs a few quid. Or maybe a £20 taxi ride away which is not too bad with a few of you.
Just thought I would put it on here, might not suit everyone. We are staying over and another bonus is Wakefield will likely have a few more bars open late than Barnsley.
Train hack for Barnsley on 17:24 - Apr 19 with 931 viewsITFCson

Train hack for Barnsley on 08:34 - Apr 19 by DJR

I haven't booked my ticket yet but from Kent it is cheaper to go to Barnsley than Wakefield.

I suppose it just goes to show how mad and inconsistent the pricing of rail tickets is.

Exactly, quite dirty from the trainline. You'd think they should default to show the fastest/cheapest service. I only stumbled across this when a lack of places to stay in Barnsley made me consider staying in Wakefield.
Train hack for Barnsley on 18:29 - Apr 19 with 834 viewsDJR

Train hack for Barnsley on 17:24 - Apr 19 by ITFCson

Exactly, quite dirty from the trainline. You'd think they should default to show the fastest/cheapest service. I only stumbled across this when a lack of places to stay in Barnsley made me consider staying in Wakefield.

Yep, it's all really a con. There really should just be one, relatively cheap fare available.

If my trip to Belgium last year is anything to go, that is probably the case in much of Europe.

Incidentally, catching the train from Shenfield to Ipswich for games on occasions highlights the fact that it is normally cheaper to split the fare at Manningtree but Trainline and Greater Anglia don't highlight this. It makes it a bit of a pain to book but usually saves a fiver or so.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2023 18:30]
Train hack for Barnsley on 20:20 - Apr 19 with 673 viewstractordownsouth

Train hack for Barnsley on 17:24 - Apr 19 by ITFCson

These websites are quite good for getting cheap tickets. On Trainline mine would have been £85 and it’s been cut to £60 using these. Only downside is there’s no eligible refund so I always book on the day of the trip.

https://www.splitmyfare.co.uk/

https://trainsplit.com/

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024