Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Final points Tally 14:11 - Mar 3 with 892 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Looking at past 5 seasons what has it taken to finish inside the top 2. Ive listed the points that the teams in 3rd accumulated and therefore still missed out on automatic (last season is obviously not included)

2019: 88
2018: 87
2017: 82
2016: 84
2015: 89

Playoffs: We know that making the playoffs generally requires 75 points to be secure

We sit on 50 points with 16 left to play. Meaning it would likely require minimum 12 wins to achieve automatic promotion and 8 wins to secure playoffs.

At this stage where we are now, we’ve been amassing 1.66 points per game, which if we continue will put us on 76 points after the final day, so we’re just about on track to be inside the top 6

We will need to up that to 2 points per game in order to seriously challenge the top 2

It’s certainly achievable (automatic promotion) but I would probably say that there are likely to be 2 of Peterborough, Lincoln, Hull and Sunderland that will finish ahead of us, based on there current PPG and our requirement for them to drop more points than us, though there is clearly a lot of football left to play for, 48 points still to play for in our case so hopefully we can stick 80+ points on the board and go up without needing the playoffs
Final points Tally on 14:18 - Mar 3 with 834 viewschrismakin

We will finish 2nd
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 14:21]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Final points Tally on 14:31 - Mar 3 with 773 viewsBent_double

My feeling is that we'll finish on 82 points (something like 10 wins and 2 draws), which will probably be enough for 3rd/4th.

We have a relatively easy run-in, with just Pompey and Lincoln still to play from the top 6 - surely many of the other top 6 teams still have to play each other, so points will be dropped/shared.

We should have the best squad to cope with the remainder of the season, injury and fatigue will surely affect teams like Posh, Lincoln with their smaller squads.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Final points Tally on 16:28 - Mar 3 with 657 viewsandytown

Final points Tally on 14:31 - Mar 3 by Bent_double

My feeling is that we'll finish on 82 points (something like 10 wins and 2 draws), which will probably be enough for 3rd/4th.

We have a relatively easy run-in, with just Pompey and Lincoln still to play from the top 6 - surely many of the other top 6 teams still have to play each other, so points will be dropped/shared.

We should have the best squad to cope with the remainder of the season, injury and fatigue will surely affect teams like Posh, Lincoln with their smaller squads.

Just had a look at remaking fixtures for teams currently top 6:

Peterborough v Doncaster twice, Lincoln, Sunderland, Pompey & Hull

Doncaster v Peterborough twice

Lincoln v Sunderland, Hull & Peterborough

Sunderland v Pompey, Lincoln, Peterborough & Hull

Pompey v Sunderland & Peterborough

Hull v Peterborough, Sunderland & Lincoln

Tough for Peterborough and slightly less so for Sunderland.
Not played on paper though..
Final points Tally on 17:04 - Mar 3 with 544 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

It’s difficult to say whether the requirement will be on the higher end (eg closer to 90 points) or not, where 84 points should be enough. Particularly given the fact that a lot of those sides do indeed have to play each other.

If it’s the top end I can’t see us getting to 90 points.. also, our run in I’m not so sure what to make of it as now is the time teams down and out suddenly start putting runs together. You always hope for some mid table plodders in the last couple of matches
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024