Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London man cured of HIV 22:00 - Mar 10 with 1093 viewsStokieBlue

A really interesting story, it takes a large and painful transplant but this patient had no real options as they also got leukaemia and this treatment was a possible way to cure both. 30 months later there is no sign of the cancer or HIV.

The feature I listened to said it probably wasn't needed for most people as anti-virals ensure that people with HIV live just as long as people who don't and can't pass it on. Still an interesting case though.

https://www.livescience.com/second-person-cured-hiv-adam-castillejo.html

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

London man cured of HIV on 23:34 - Mar 10 with 997 viewsmonytowbray

I still think it's madly likely to see a cure in my lifetime. Each time you hear something new like this you think the day's going to be upon us soon surely?

Hell, even the medicine is ground breaking seeing as how fast it would kill people in the 80s.

Science rules.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

London man cured of HIV on 06:35 - Mar 11 with 882 viewsStokieBlue

London man cured of HIV on 23:34 - Mar 10 by monytowbray

I still think it's madly likely to see a cure in my lifetime. Each time you hear something new like this you think the day's going to be upon us soon surely?

Hell, even the medicine is ground breaking seeing as how fast it would kill people in the 80s.

Science rules.

It's debatable if a cure is needed. The latest drugs are excellent and mean people live long lives without being able to pass it on.

From the feature, the real problem is that is still a stigmatised disease. Better education is needed to overcome that.

You're right though, science rules :).

SB

London man cured of HIV on 09:22 - Mar 11 with 798 viewsmonytowbray

London man cured of HIV on 06:35 - Mar 11 by StokieBlue

It's debatable if a cure is needed. The latest drugs are excellent and mean people live long lives without being able to pass it on.

From the feature, the real problem is that is still a stigmatised disease. Better education is needed to overcome that.

You're right though, science rules :).

SB

Part of me still debates if the information we have on it is correct from how it started and how it spread. Don't get me wrong, the facts we have established are strong but part of me still wonders if there was a maliciousness in how it become so wide spread in the 80s within the gay communities.

Dunno, perhaps I'm getting too tin foil hat, not like me to usually believe conspiracies either. Most the things I'm against are pretty true when looked through my lens (capitalism is just class war, etc).

TWTD never forgets…

London man cured of HIV on 09:24 - Mar 11 with 791 viewsStokieBlue

London man cured of HIV on 09:22 - Mar 11 by monytowbray

Part of me still debates if the information we have on it is correct from how it started and how it spread. Don't get me wrong, the facts we have established are strong but part of me still wonders if there was a maliciousness in how it become so wide spread in the 80s within the gay communities.

Dunno, perhaps I'm getting too tin foil hat, not like me to usually believe conspiracies either. Most the things I'm against are pretty true when looked through my lens (capitalism is just class war, etc).

It would have been a very impressive feat of bio-engineering to have developed HIV in the 80's. It would be impressive even now and debatable if they could do it.

SB

London man cured of HIV on 09:32 - Mar 11 with 779 viewsmonytowbray

London man cured of HIV on 09:24 - Mar 11 by StokieBlue

It would have been a very impressive feat of bio-engineering to have developed HIV in the 80's. It would be impressive even now and debatable if they could do it.

SB

I deffo think the timeline is right and the spread based on geo of cases rings home. Just seems a bit weird it took around 6 decades to get to the West and explode. Unless there were earlier cases that may have gone undiagnosed? But even then, I'd have expected an epidemic to start much earlier if it was first traced back to the 1920s.

Not saying I believe that BTW, just being a skeptic.

TWTD never forgets…

London man cured of HIV on 09:34 - Mar 11 with 775 viewsStokieBlue

London man cured of HIV on 09:32 - Mar 11 by monytowbray

I deffo think the timeline is right and the spread based on geo of cases rings home. Just seems a bit weird it took around 6 decades to get to the West and explode. Unless there were earlier cases that may have gone undiagnosed? But even then, I'd have expected an epidemic to start much earlier if it was first traced back to the 1920s.

Not saying I believe that BTW, just being a skeptic.

It was in the US from the 1960's, as you say though, they just didn't know what it was and it went under the radar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_HIV/AIDS

SB

London man cured of HIV on 10:58 - Mar 11 with 723 viewsElephantintheRoom

Slightly off-piste but a vaccine for Hepatitis B which kills more people than HIV has been available since the 1980s.

You might still struggle to get it free on the NHS though.

A bit cheaper and more convenient than the treatments HIV patients endure - but not quite so profitable for the Pharma companies

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

London man cured of HIV on 11:17 - Mar 11 with 701 viewsmonytowbray

London man cured of HIV on 10:58 - Mar 11 by ElephantintheRoom

Slightly off-piste but a vaccine for Hepatitis B which kills more people than HIV has been available since the 1980s.

You might still struggle to get it free on the NHS though.

A bit cheaper and more convenient than the treatments HIV patients endure - but not quite so profitable for the Pharma companies

Evidence?

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024