Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lack of movement in a flat 442... 11:05 - Dec 27 with 696 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

...will result in long balls forward. Long balls forward usually happen because of two things:

1) a team are set up to miss out playing through the midfield/thirds and play longer passes and overload bodies into an area to pick up on second balls and start attacks in the final third or

2) through lack of angles/options to play a pass, not enough movement off the ball in midfield/attacking players or not showing for the ball deeper which therefore results in longer passes forward

A flat 442 is difficult to play football through the thirds. It’s the best for organisation and sticking to the basics. 433 would be my choice, especially given the midfielders we have at the club.

A big problem for me is one CM selected yesterday doesn’t show for the ball, which makes build up even trickier & one striker yesterday isn’t known for his physical presence/aerial ability if a longer ball is knocked to him, meaning the ball will come straight back at us.

I’d start Dozzell, Downes and Nolan in a 3 and keep it with those 3 over a run of games. I guarantee our performances would pick up. I’d also have a front 3 of Jackson right, Keane down the middle and Sears left.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Lack of movement in a flat 442... on 12:10 - Dec 27 with 635 viewsHullblue

Completely agree. Think we looked so much better with a midfield 3 of Dozzell, Downes and Nolan (although I’d be tempted to switch Nolan for Judge when we can afford the risk).

Also think Jackson put in the best individual performance I’ve seen all season when he played out wide at home to Bristol Rovers the other week.

Thing is, Lambert seems to ignore encouraging parts of our play when we don’t win - he rips up the blueprint and starts again. Worrying stuff.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Lack of movement in a flat 442... on 15:08 - Dec 27 with 610 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Lack of movement in a flat 442... on 12:10 - Dec 27 by Hullblue

Completely agree. Think we looked so much better with a midfield 3 of Dozzell, Downes and Nolan (although I’d be tempted to switch Nolan for Judge when we can afford the risk).

Also think Jackson put in the best individual performance I’ve seen all season when he played out wide at home to Bristol Rovers the other week.

Thing is, Lambert seems to ignore encouraging parts of our play when we don’t win - he rips up the blueprint and starts again. Worrying stuff.

I think even a diamond with those 3 and Judge in the 10 role would prove effective. Downes/Nolan both prefer box to box roles, so it would make sense. Dozzell’s defensive duties would be my only area of concern but he should start now.

I thought Dozzell and Keane played their best games In an Ipswich shirt against Bristol Rovers. Jackson put a world class cross in too. I’d be tempted to use that line up again for Sunday but be brave and play Edwards RB - both him and Garbutt can get up and down.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Lack of movement in a flat 442... on 16:10 - Dec 27 with 573 viewslmfcblue

Lack of movement in a flat 442... on 12:10 - Dec 27 by Hullblue

Yep only needed to work on Norwood defensive duties then play same as Rovers at home as well as donacien for skuse.
Since then he’s gone 3.5.2 4.4.2.
I get he’s chasing his ar$e for a result but it only needs a tweak at times
Lack of movement in a flat 442... on 17:00 - Dec 27 with 548 viewsblueislander

Lack of movement in a flat 442... on 16:10 - Dec 27 by lmfcblue

Yep only needed to work on Norwood defensive duties then play same as Rovers at home as well as donacien for skuse.
Since then he’s gone 3.5.2 4.4.2.
I get he’s chasing his ar$e for a result but it only needs a tweak at times

Obviously Lambert is against playing Downes and Dozzell together which is nonsense imo. The much vaunted strike force of Norwood and Jackson , who were great in the 4th tier, don’t seem to be that great at this level. Although, to be fair, the hoofball we played yesterday does not help them.
Lack of movement in a flat 442... on 17:35 - Dec 27 with 530 viewsbraveblue

Two in CM will never be effective with Skuse sitting back and watching the game. Time for him to move on. Go with Downes and Dozzell and give it a go.
See some suggesting Sears on the left. Think we did that and he did not score for about a year!!!
Lack of movement in a flat 442... on 20:35 - Dec 27 with 480 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Lack of movement in a flat 442... on 15:08 - Dec 27 by IPSWICHFANITFC

I think even a diamond with those 3 and Judge in the 10 role would prove effective. Downes/Nolan both prefer box to box roles, so it would make sense. Dozzell’s defensive duties would be my only area of concern but he should start now.

I thought Dozzell and Keane played their best games In an Ipswich shirt against Bristol Rovers. Jackson put a world class cross in too. I’d be tempted to use that line up again for Sunday but be brave and play Edwards RB - both him and Garbutt can get up and down.

Edwards- winger yes but defender omg !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024