Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBC bias (again) 13:16 - Dec 3 with 2729 viewsHerbivore

On the 1 o'clock news just now they broadcast a clip of Boris Johnson saying that Jeremy Corbyn wants to disband NATO. They did not challenge this claim, they simply broadcast it.

Here is the clip on their website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/election-2019-50643229/boris-johnson-claims-jeremy

Now, it's clear from the text on that clip that they know Johnson's claim to be false. Labour's manifesto has a commitment to NATO in it. How can they then in good faith broadcast Johnson making such a claim on TV with no rebuttal? People watching the news have just been told a clear lie about Labour's position on NATO by the PM and it's been allowed to stand unchallenged. That is not responsible broadcasting.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 16:07]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

BBC bias (again) on 13:30 - Dec 3 with 1697 viewsBluesquid

I'm not sure that the UK actually meets the criteria for free and fair elections.

- That the necessary steps are taken to guarantee non-partisan coverage in State and public-service media.

https://www.ipu.org/our-impact/strong-parliaments/setting-standards/declaration-
BBC bias (again) on 13:33 - Dec 3 with 1683 viewslowhouseblue

perhaps he said: 'jeremy corbyn wants to ...' rather than: 'the labour party manifesto wants to ...'

cos there's good documented evidence of the former.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

BBC bias (again) on 13:57 - Dec 3 with 1653 viewsHerbivore

BBC bias (again) on 13:33 - Dec 3 by lowhouseblue

perhaps he said: 'jeremy corbyn wants to ...' rather than: 'the labour party manifesto wants to ...'

cos there's good documented evidence of the former.

Why am I not surprised you're defending this. You know full well that in an election campaign saying Corbyn wants to disband NATO is the same thing as saying that if Labour get in they will seek to disband NATO. That's not the case, their manifesto explicitly says otherwise.

On a similar vein though, there's footage doing the rounds of Johnson previously calling for the NHS to be broken up. Any mention of this by Labour is countered by the BBC swiftly stating that the Tory manifesto commits to not breaking up the NHS.

However you break it down it's really piss poor broadcasting. It's a shame your dislike of Corbyn is leading you to accept and even condone stuff that most reasonable people would think is unacceptable. #anyonebutcorbyn no matter the cost, eh?
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 15:55]

BBC bias (again) on 14:19 - Dec 3 with 1608 viewsflimflam

Not like anyone has exaggerated redacted documents recently claiming they state the NHS is to be sold when they said no such thing.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

BBC bias (again) on 14:30 - Dec 3 with 1574 viewsSteve_M

Don't think there's much of a case here, Corbyn's opposition to NATO is well known and long-standing (like that to the EU).

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-corbyn-did-call-for-nato-to-di

This is one of the problems with a leader with so much baggage from 40 years in politics.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

BBC bias (again) on 14:46 - Dec 3 with 1546 viewsHerbivore

BBC bias (again) on 14:30 - Dec 3 by Steve_M

Don't think there's much of a case here, Corbyn's opposition to NATO is well known and long-standing (like that to the EU).

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-corbyn-did-call-for-nato-to-di

This is one of the problems with a leader with so much baggage from 40 years in politics.

Come on, Steve. Saying Corbyn wants (note the present tense) NATO to disband at this point in time is dishonest. It's intended to give the impression that a vote for Labour is a vote to disband NATO and that simply isn't the case. Even that fact check you've posted states that he hasn't said he wants us to pull out of NATO but rather that it's role should be limited, and those comments pre-date him becoming Labour leader. Labour policy is clear that they are committed to us continuing to be part of NATO.

BBC bias (again) on 14:47 - Dec 3 with 1543 viewsHerbivore

BBC bias (again) on 14:19 - Dec 3 by flimflam

Not like anyone has exaggerated redacted documents recently claiming they state the NHS is to be sold when they said no such thing.

I think what was actually said was that the NHS will be part of negotiations, and the documents do demonstrate that to be the case.

BBC bias (again) on 14:59 - Dec 3 with 1509 viewsHARRY10

No exaggerated claims, just pointing out what was said and how those words were carefully written down so as to avoid that suggestion.

Meanwhile

https://www.indy100.com/article/dominic-raab-nhs-privatisation-hospitals-general

and your absurd and dogged attempts to deny what is blindingly obvious does your argument no good, as ittremoves all credibility. You, as do others, come across as the pet shop owner in the Parrot Sketch
Login to get fewer ads

BBC bias (again) on 15:02 - Dec 3 with 1507 viewsGlasgowBlue

Whether it's in the manifesto or not, Corbyn wants to end NATO. That is his view.

“1990 should have been the time for Nato to shut up shop, give up, go home and go away. Why don’t we turn it around, and close down Nato?

“Nato is an engine for the delivery of oil to the oil companies and the major nations of this world, make no illusions about that.”

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

BBC bias (again) on 15:06 - Dec 3 with 1493 viewsHerbivore

BBC bias (again) on 15:02 - Dec 3 by GlasgowBlue

Whether it's in the manifesto or not, Corbyn wants to end NATO. That is his view.

“1990 should have been the time for Nato to shut up shop, give up, go home and go away. Why don’t we turn it around, and close down Nato?

“Nato is an engine for the delivery of oil to the oil companies and the major nations of this world, make no illusions about that.”

Is or was? He's made many other comments suggesting its scope should be limited rather than it being disbanded. However you cut it, it's poor reporting as it allows Johnson to suggest Corbyn currently wants to do away with NATO, and that's not the case.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 15:10]

BBC bias (again) on 15:07 - Dec 3 with 1493 viewsTangledupin_Blue

BBC bias (again) on 14:30 - Dec 3 by Steve_M

People continue to ignore the speeches by Corbyn, in 2016 before the referendum, in which he was critical of the EU but was on favour of us remaining as members. Better to improve from within was his gist. And, when asked, he confirmed that he had voted to remain.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

BBC bias (again) on 15:19 - Dec 3 with 1461 viewsSteve_M

BBC bias (again) on 14:46 - Dec 3 by Herbivore

Come on, Steve. Saying Corbyn wants (note the present tense) NATO to disband at this point in time is dishonest. It's intended to give the impression that a vote for Labour is a vote to disband NATO and that simply isn't the case. Even that fact check you've posted states that he hasn't said he wants us to pull out of NATO but rather that it's role should be limited, and those comments pre-date him becoming Labour leader. Labour policy is clear that they are committed to us continuing to be part of NATO.

I should have added that that wasn't Labour's policy but it is reasonable to infer that Corbyn hasn't changed his position, especially given that Murray & Milne remain close to him. It is a problem for Labour.

There is, of course, a different irony in Trump speaking in support of NATO when he clearly doesn't care if it exists or not.

BBC bias (again) on 15:26 - Dec 3 with 1447 viewsjontysnut

BBC bias (again) on 13:30 - Dec 3 by Bluesquid

I'm not sure that the UK actually meets the criteria for free and fair elections.

- That the necessary steps are taken to guarantee non-partisan coverage in State and public-service media.

https://www.ipu.org/our-impact/strong-parliaments/setting-standards/declaration-

only a matter of time until Iran starts sending international observers
BBC bias (again) on 15:30 - Dec 3 with 1433 viewsflimflam

BBC bias (again) on 14:47 - Dec 3 by Herbivore

I think what was actually said was that the NHS will be part of negotiations, and the documents do demonstrate that to be the case.

Thats not what the bearded one was claiming on live TV though was it.

Basically all sides are playing gutter politics which is a very sad state of affairs tbh.

BBC bias (again) on 15:31 - Dec 3 with 1426 viewsHerbivore

BBC bias (again) on 15:19 - Dec 3 by Steve_M

I should have added that that wasn't Labour's policy but it is reasonable to infer that Corbyn hasn't changed his position, especially given that Murray & Milne remain close to him. It is a problem for Labour.

There is, of course, a different irony in Trump speaking in support of NATO when he clearly doesn't care if it exists or not.

I'm not sure it is reasonable to infer that especially in the context of a GE campaign where the party he leads has a manifesto commitment to remain committed to NATO. I'm fairly sure if Corbyn said that Johnson wants to ban gay marriage then he'd (rightly) be called out on it despite Johnson previously speaking out against gay marriage and comparing it to three men marrying a dog.

BBC bias (again) on 15:32 - Dec 3 with 1425 viewsSteve_M

If there is a suggestion of Russian interference in our election shouldn't the government have released the report its currently sittings on onto previous such interference?

BBC bias (again) on 15:35 - Dec 3 with 1411 viewsHerbivore

BBC bias (again) on 15:30 - Dec 3 by flimflam

Thats not what the bearded one was claiming on live TV though was it.

Basically all sides are playing gutter politics which is a very sad state of affairs tbh.

Can you give me the direct quote? The Tories said the NHS isn't on the table in negotiations, my recollection is that Labour claimed that it is on the table. The documents prove that it is on the table in negotiations.

BBC bias (again) on 15:44 - Dec 3 with 1380 viewsflimflam

BBC bias (again) on 15:35 - Dec 3 by Herbivore

Can you give me the direct quote? The Tories said the NHS isn't on the table in negotiations, my recollection is that Labour claimed that it is on the table. The documents prove that it is on the table in negotiations.

“We have now got evidence that under Boris Johnson the NHS is on the table and will be up for sale"

I take that as saying the NHS is up for sale?

BBC bias (again) on 15:49 - Dec 3 with 1367 viewsHerbivore

BBC bias (again) on 15:44 - Dec 3 by flimflam

“We have now got evidence that under Boris Johnson the NHS is on the table and will be up for sale"

I take that as saying the NHS is up for sale?

On the table is a definite yes based on the documents. Up for sale is a bit less clear cut, there's talk of improving market access for US pharma companies and some of the measures discussed, such as extended patents for US pharma companies, would cost the NHS money. It's arguable whether that means the NHS is up for sale. I'd also add that the BBC have been quite vocal in challenging whether the NHS is indeed up for sale or not, whereas on the issue raised in the OP they conspicuously let the claim slide.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 15:50]

BBC bias (again) on 15:49 - Dec 3 with 1364 viewslowhouseblue

BBC bias (again) on 13:57 - Dec 3 by Herbivore

Why am I not surprised you're defending this. You know full well that in an election campaign saying Corbyn wants to disband NATO is the same thing as saying that if Labour get in they will seek to disband NATO. That's not the case, their manifesto explicitly says otherwise.

On a similar vein though, there's footage doing the rounds of Johnson previously calling for the NHS to be broken up. Any mention of this by Labour is countered by the BBC swiftly stating that the Tory manifesto commits to not breaking up the NHS.

However you break it down it's really piss poor broadcasting. It's a shame your dislike of Corbyn is leading you to accept and even condone stuff that most reasonable people would think is unacceptable. #anyonebutcorbyn no matter the cost, eh?
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 15:55]

there you go:

https://order-order.com/2019/12/03/happy-birthday-nato-jeremy-corbyn/

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

BBC bias (again) on 15:54 - Dec 3 with 1342 viewsHerbivore

BBC bias (again) on 15:49 - Dec 3 by lowhouseblue

there you go:

https://order-order.com/2019/12/03/happy-birthday-nato-jeremy-corbyn/

Guido now? Wow. You're not even pretending to be credible anymore. That link doesn't really counter any of the points in my post, but you've been dodging a lot of stuff lately. I guess if Guido is your level now I can't really expect sensible debate anymore.

BBC bias (again) on 15:59 - Dec 3 with 1328 viewslowhouseblue

BBC bias (again) on 15:54 - Dec 3 by Herbivore

Guido now? Wow. You're not even pretending to be credible anymore. That link doesn't really counter any of the points in my post, but you've been dodging a lot of stuff lately. I guess if Guido is your level now I can't really expect sensible debate anymore.

are you saying Corbyn didn't say those things?

i read a wide variety of stuff from many different places and much of it i disagree with. i'm just a radical free thinker me.

BBC bias (again) on 16:04 - Dec 3 with 1311 viewsHerbivore

BBC bias (again) on 15:59 - Dec 3 by lowhouseblue

are you saying Corbyn didn't say those things?

i read a wide variety of stuff from many different places and much of it i disagree with. i'm just a radical free thinker me.

Lolz. Sure you are.

BBC bias (again) on 16:12 - Dec 3 with 1286 viewsmrshallisfit

And you think that the Tories are not going to move towards such a policy if they get in and we Leave? Jeez. Naive or one-eyed. You choose.
BBC bias (again) on 17:01 - Dec 3 with 1230 viewsflimflam

BBC bias (again) on 16:12 - Dec 3 by mrshallisfit

And you think that the Tories are not going to move towards such a policy if they get in and we Leave? Jeez. Naive or one-eyed. You choose.

I guess they could ramp up the PFI contracts which are still crippling the NHS from the last Labour government.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024