Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
time for the diamond again? 15:36 - Sep 16 with 2279 viewsnodge_blue

If we play Garbutt as left back and Kane V-Y as right - both are pretty attacking and could provide the width.

Then we can play Judge or Nolan just behind two front strikers.

With skuse sitting at base.

And Downes / Huws / Bishop / Dozzell as other mids.

I think that could work with the players we have. Will also allow us to keep 2 up front.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

time for the diamond again? on 15:40 - Sep 16 with 2260 viewsNazemariner

I tend to agree. The width from full back arrives late and is harder to deal with. We have to find a way to get Judge playing centrally.
time for the diamond again? on 15:41 - Sep 16 with 2260 viewsMrTown

It just depends whether PL trusts his full-backs enough not to get over run.

I'd suggest he probably won't go with the diamond.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

time for the diamond again? on 15:54 - Sep 16 with 2227 viewsStokieBlue

So when fit you've made the following obsolete:

- Edwards
- Lankester
- Georgiou
- Rowe
- Dobra

We have quite a few wide players who don't fit into that system at all. I agree it's a quandary.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

time for the diamond again? on 16:02 - Sep 16 with 2198 viewsChocorange

time for the diamond again? on 15:54 - Sep 16 by StokieBlue

- Edwards
- Lankester
- Georgiou
- Rowe
- Dobra

We have quite a few wide players who don't fit into that system at all. I agree it's a quandary.

SB

And all to shoehorn Judge into the team... If he was scoring and making assists I would understand it.. But...

Leave Judge to one side if need be, and then pick a formation that suits our strongest players in their rightful positions.
time for the diamond again? on 16:19 - Sep 16 with 2167 viewsgloucester_tractor

time for the diamond again? on 16:02 - Sep 16 by Chocorange

And all to shoehorn Judge into the team... If he was scoring and making assists I would understand it.. But...

Leave Judge to one side if need be, and then pick a formation that suits our strongest players in their rightful positions.

With the players we have you can make a case for any formation
A narrow middle three with three up fron
A back three with wing backs
It's a case of what we want from the middle of the park . If it's solid that's what's being played at the moment
If it's flair you either change personnel or go for a three

Son of GUS

time for the diamond again? on 16:28 - Sep 16 with 2148 viewsStokieBlue

time for the diamond again? on 16:19 - Sep 16 by gloucester_tractor

With the players we have you can make a case for any formation
A narrow middle three with three up fron
A back three with wing backs
It's a case of what we want from the middle of the park . If it's solid that's what's being played at the moment
If it's flair you either change personnel or go for a three

How about (when all fit):

Holy

LWB - Garbutt/Geogiou
CB - Nsiala
CB - Chambers
CB - Wolf
RWB - Young

DM - Skuse/Huws
DM - Downes/Dozzell/Nolan
AM - Judge/Rowe/Lankester/Dobra

ST - Norwood
ST - Jackson/Keane

No idea whether 3-5-2 would work, we might get battered but it seems to fit the players. Whether you should select a team formation based on the players or settle on one and get used to it is open for debate.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

time for the diamond again? on 16:44 - Sep 16 with 2109 viewsBigManBlue

Agree that diamond is the best if we absolutely have to have Judge playing. The full backs will get caught up the pitch a lot more than at present so whoever is at the base will need to do a lot of defensive work.

4231 could be the answer in terms of getting Judge in his best position, whilst not making our wide players (lots of whom have looked among our most threatening thus far) redundant. But every time we do this, the striker ends up about 50 yards ahead of anyone else and we never look like scoring - honestly don't know what the answer to that it though.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

time for the diamond again? on 16:51 - Sep 16 with 2084 viewsGarv

Personally I'd probably drop him and bring in a natural left sided player, but you'll still have issues with creativity if you're playing Skuse and Downes in the middle.

It's plainly obvious we want to play with one up top and Judge behind, but while Jackson is scoring goals and we're getting results (we still haven't lost) 4-4-2 is the logical option.

I'm sure 4-2-3-1 will happen sooner or later.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

time for the diamond again? on 16:53 - Sep 16 with 2073 viewsGarv

time for the diamond again? on 15:54 - Sep 16 by StokieBlue

- Edwards
- Lankester
- Georgiou
- Rowe
- Dobra

SB

Edwards is the only one of those I'd be disappointed by.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lankester didn't play this season. Georgiou is only on loan until January. Rowe has been steady but doesn't offer much/any end product. I really like Dobra but will he play anyway? I'm sure he could play in the hole if we wanted.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

time for the diamond again? on 16:58 - Sep 16 with 2069 viewsSkuse4ballondor

I’d like to see a diamond formation given a go. This isn’t just a reaction to the Donny game, I think it should be our long term formation. We keep the two up top but it also gives us more of an option to go short as well as direct.

KVY is a perfect full back for a diamond formation. I’d give either Garbutt or Georgiou a chance at left back, even though it’s not their favoured position, because they can still both play there and they both have more threat going forward than Kenlock, who looks like our weak link. Therefore, due to our attacking full backs I don’t think we’d lose our width and direct running 4-4-2 gives us.

The formation also allows us to play 3 of our centre mids without sacrificing the front two, which we should look to do, as we have so many talents in that area. A diamond would also let Judge play in his favoured role, which I think would unleash the player we know he can be. Even if Judge continues his underwhelming form, it could potentially be a route for Dobra into the team. Even Rowe or Nolan could play there and Lankester when fit. Edwards is the only player who you would struggle to fit in.

4-4-2 has done well but it limits the ways we can attack. The diamond would do everything our 4-4-2 does but it also allows us to mix up our style giving us more freedom. I’d like to see it at least experimented.
time for the diamond again? on 17:16 - Sep 16 with 2039 viewslmfcblue

time for the diamond again? on 16:58 - Sep 16 by Skuse4ballondor

I’d like to see a diamond formation given a go. This isn’t just a reaction to the Donny game, I think it should be our long term formation. We keep the two up top but it also gives us more of an option to go short as well as direct.

KVY is a perfect full back for a diamond formation. I’d give either Garbutt or Georgiou a chance at left back, even though it’s not their favoured position, because they can still both play there and they both have more threat going forward than Kenlock, who looks like our weak link. Therefore, due to our attacking full backs I don’t think we’d lose our width and direct running 4-4-2 gives us.

The formation also allows us to play 3 of our centre mids without sacrificing the front two, which we should look to do, as we have so many talents in that area. A diamond would also let Judge play in his favoured role, which I think would unleash the player we know he can be. Even if Judge continues his underwhelming form, it could potentially be a route for Dobra into the team. Even Rowe or Nolan could play there and Lankester when fit. Edwards is the only player who you would struggle to fit in.

4-4-2 has done well but it limits the ways we can attack. The diamond would do everything our 4-4-2 does but it also allows us to mix up our style giving us more freedom. I’d like to see it at least experimented.

Been saying it for ages the diamond is the way to go - we are over loaded with central players which would get more of them in the side.
time for the diamond again? on 19:49 - Sep 16 with 1967 viewsGuthrum

time for the diamond again? on 17:16 - Sep 16 by lmfcblue

Been saying it for ages the diamond is the way to go - we are over loaded with central players which would get more of them in the side.

But is that a good reason to change formation? It's not like the one we're using is ineffective (57% clean sheets, undefeated with four wins, 2nd in the division having played fewer games than most).

The one time we tried tinkering, against Wimbledon, it all came unstuck until we reverted to 4-4-2.

All of this is to acommodate players who are not yet fully fit (Huws, Nolan) or who are out of form (Judge).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

time for the diamond again? on 20:10 - Sep 16 with 1940 viewsmaxharrold

The diamond is definitely a formation I think should be given a go - suits KVY, Garbutt and Georgiou at full back and caters for the amount of CMs we have.

Danny Rowe can play in the advanced role as he did in his spells at Lincoln, Nolan can play there too, and Dobra was brought through the academy as a No. 10 but has been used by Lambert out of his favoured position in both his 1st team games so far. Therefore even if Judge isn’t on form, Lambert has more than capable replacements.

As for those calling for 3 at the back... don’t even get me started on Nsiala - the guy is an accident waiting to happen. Chambers and Woolfenden as a pair are head and shoulders above any other suggestion imo.

Poll: Who will be the next manager of Ipswich Town?

time for the diamond again? on 21:15 - Sep 16 with 1873 viewsnodge_blue

I think it’s not about getting judge in the side....more that we need control of centre midfield and with only 2 in there at the minute they struggle against a 3.

time for the diamond again? on 22:29 - Sep 16 with 1817 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Agree re: Diamond. I think we have to accept that we cant play both Downes and Skuse if we want to have an attacking formation.
RB: KVY
LB: Garbutt
CH: 2 of Woolf/Chambers/Nsiala

DM: Skuse or Downes
LM: Georgiou or Dozzell
RM: Edwards or Rowe
No 10: Huws or Nolan

2 of Jackson/Keane/Norwood up front.

Cant see a space in the starting lineup for Judge.
When Bish is fit he would be in as 1st choice RM.

Poll: would you rather

time for the diamond again? on 22:41 - Sep 16 with 1799 viewsBiGDonnie

time for the diamond again? on 16:53 - Sep 16 by Garv

Edwards is the only one of those I'd be disappointed by.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lankester didn't play this season. Georgiou is only on loan until January. Rowe has been steady but doesn't offer much/any end product. I really like Dobra but will he play anyway? I'm sure he could play in the hole if we wanted.

Bruh, Lankester is gonna be our best player.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

time for the diamond again? on 22:53 - Sep 16 with 1788 viewsITFCAnalytics

time for the diamond again? on 20:10 - Sep 16 by maxharrold

The diamond is definitely a formation I think should be given a go - suits KVY, Garbutt and Georgiou at full back and caters for the amount of CMs we have.

Danny Rowe can play in the advanced role as he did in his spells at Lincoln, Nolan can play there too, and Dobra was brought through the academy as a No. 10 but has been used by Lambert out of his favoured position in both his 1st team games so far. Therefore even if Judge isn’t on form, Lambert has more than capable replacements.

As for those calling for 3 at the back... don’t even get me started on Nsiala - the guy is an accident waiting to happen. Chambers and Woolfenden as a pair are head and shoulders above any other suggestion imo.

100% agree with this on Nsiala, accident waiting to happen, conceded two penalties in the U23’s today. Doesn’t have the on the ball ability in a back three either and is very clumsy.
time for the diamond again? on 23:13 - Sep 16 with 1765 viewsITFCAnalytics

time for the diamond again? on 22:29 - Sep 16 by LegendofthePhoenix

Agree re: Diamond. I think we have to accept that we cant play both Downes and Skuse if we want to have an attacking formation.
RB: KVY
LB: Garbutt
CH: 2 of Woolf/Chambers/Nsiala

DM: Skuse or Downes
LM: Georgiou or Dozzell
RM: Edwards or Rowe
No 10: Huws or Nolan

2 of Jackson/Keane/Norwood up front.

Cant see a space in the starting lineup for Judge.
When Bish is fit he would be in as 1st choice RM.

Why can’t Skuse and Downes play together? I can’t remember Downes playing as our main DM last season and has developed into much more of a box to box. Skuse can sit and Downes can play box to box like he has throughout this season. One of the highest CM’s in the league for dribbles per game and through balls per game but is classed as too defensive. He can go backwards and forwards and gives us a balance with the other cm being more offensive and arriving late in the box like Nolan and Huws can. Downes on the right can also cover for KVY if he advances too much like he will in this formation.
time for the diamond again? on 22:00 - Sep 17 with 1575 viewsnodge_blue

See it worked well first half!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024