Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First day memories 12:58 - Aug 2 with 1008 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Just listened to a bit of Radio 5 talking about these.

I have 3 in particular:

15 August 1992 First match back in the top flight and first ever season of the new Premier League. Nervous about our chances of living with the big boys. Gavin Johnson gave us the lead before a late Dalian Atkinson goal gave Villa a share of the points and I had a feeling we would be able to at least compete to stay up.

August 1993 Ian Marshall's debut away at Oldham. The Oldham fans singing "what a waste of money" Marshall scores on his debut and we win 3-0. I recall someone in with the home fans in a town shirt too.

Last season. Hurst's first game and taking my kids to their first match. I thought Blackburn would do well and a point against them wasn't too bad a start to the season.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

First day memories on 13:01 - Aug 2 with 998 viewsSuperblue95

Spanking Sheffield Wednesday 4-1 at home and chanting “4-1 and your house is wet” as Yorkshire had heavy floods at the time all while going joint top of the league

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

First day memories on 13:03 - Aug 2 with 991 viewsIllinoisblue

I was at that Oldham game. Very very hot. The one I recall most for some reason was the start of the Duncan era. Home to Barnsley. 3—1 win. Lowe and (I think) Woods on the scoresheet.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

First day memories on 13:10 - Aug 2 with 969 viewsgainsboroughblue

Taking the lead early on against Grimsby. First day of the 86/87 campaign after relegation. Thinking "Ooh this division is going to be easy". They equalised in the last minute. Our next home game was a miserable 0-1 reverse v Oldham.

August 1987. Two new managers face off in Duncan and Graham Taylor. O'Donnell scores for Villa with a cracking diving header into his own net.

1990. Sheff Weds. Lyall's first game and we are truly outclassed. North Stand away end over subscribed with Yorkshiremen who end up sat on the grass behind the goal.

1991. Bristol Rovers. We go three up. They miss a spot kick but still come back to level 3 all, all helped by a certai M.Stewart.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

First day memories on 13:15 - Aug 2 with 955 viewsParisBlue

I generally try and make the first game of a new season. Off the top of my head.

Bristol Rovers (a) 3-0 up, 3-3 draw
QPR (a) scorching day, Dyer as a wing back
Grimsby (a Sky) first sight of Marco Holster (!)
Forest (h) Naylor/Scowie/Johno goals in 3-1 win
Spurs (a) and Venus scoring first goal of the season
Reading (h) and Jim's last minute dive for a pen
Sheff Wed (h) Pablo back home. Jeffers hahaha
Coventry (a SKY). Perhaps were not going to walk this under Keane
Bristol City (a) Chopra and top of the leagure
Blackburn (h) Good point against just relegated team
Reading (a) I hate Reading
Fulham (h Sky) Murphy starts his glory season
Brentford (a) 2-0 up in injury time what could go wrong..
Barnsley (h) Wards greatest day
Brum (h) Dozzell bossing first 36 mins and then....
Blackburn (h) 1 up after 7 minutes downhill from there

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

That Barnsley game... this was their shirt that day on 13:49 - Aug 2 with 923 viewsPendejo

First day memories on 13:03 - Aug 2 by Illinoisblue

I was at that Oldham game. Very very hot. The one I recall most for some reason was the start of the Duncan era. Home to Barnsley. 3—1 win. Lowe and (I think) Woods on the scoresheet.

Classy eh?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

First day memories on 14:27 - Aug 2 with 891 viewsm14_blue

August 93 at Oldham for me too.

First ever town game, top of the league.

Downhill ever since
First day memories on 14:28 - Aug 2 with 890 viewsSwansea_Blue

First day memories on 13:15 - Aug 2 by ParisBlue

I generally try and make the first game of a new season. Off the top of my head.

Bristol Rovers (a) 3-0 up, 3-3 draw
QPR (a) scorching day, Dyer as a wing back
Grimsby (a Sky) first sight of Marco Holster (!)
Forest (h) Naylor/Scowie/Johno goals in 3-1 win
Spurs (a) and Venus scoring first goal of the season
Reading (h) and Jim's last minute dive for a pen
Sheff Wed (h) Pablo back home. Jeffers hahaha
Coventry (a SKY). Perhaps were not going to walk this under Keane
Bristol City (a) Chopra and top of the leagure
Blackburn (h) Good point against just relegated team
Reading (a) I hate Reading
Fulham (h Sky) Murphy starts his glory season
Brentford (a) 2-0 up in injury time what could go wrong..
Barnsley (h) Wards greatest day
Brum (h) Dozzell bossing first 36 mins and then....
Blackburn (h) 1 up after 7 minutes downhill from there

"Ward's greatest day" what a day that was. Talk about false dawns.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

That Barnsley game... this was their shirt that day on 14:28 - Aug 2 with 885 viewsIllinoisblue

That Barnsley game... this was their shirt that day on 13:49 - Aug 2 by Pendejo

Classy eh?

fooking hell, that is a belter!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

First day memories on 20:41 - Aug 2 with 837 viewsNthsuffolkblue

First day memories on 14:27 - Aug 2 by m14_blue

August 93 at Oldham for me too.

First ever town game, top of the league.

Downhill ever since

Hardly downhill ever since really has it?

Since 2001-2 yes.

First day memories on 20:52 - Aug 2 with 818 viewsm14_blue

First day memories on 20:41 - Aug 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

Hardly downhill ever since really has it?

Since 2001-2 yes.

Well, we haven’t been top of the top flight very often since then have we?
First day memories on 21:01 - Aug 2 with 810 viewsNthsuffolkblue

First day memories on 20:52 - Aug 2 by m14_blue

Well, we haven’t been top of the top flight very often since then have we?

I would say 1999-2001 and maybe even the European run the following season were higher than 1993 from my own memories. The crash that followed has been a long hard road and I admire fans whose memory go back 17 years or less as much as I envy those who can remember 61 or even just 78 and 81.

First day memories on 21:04 - Aug 2 with 803 viewsm14_blue

First day memories on 21:01 - Aug 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

I would say 1999-2001 and maybe even the European run the following season were higher than 1993 from my own memories. The crash that followed has been a long hard road and I admire fans whose memory go back 17 years or less as much as I envy those who can remember 61 or even just 78 and 81.

Well yeah, it was a bit tongue in cheek.

I enjoyed Helsingborgs and Inter away more than the win at Oldham.
First day memories on 22:24 - Aug 2 with 749 viewsBrightonBlue

First day memories on 13:10 - Aug 2 by gainsboroughblue

Taking the lead early on against Grimsby. First day of the 86/87 campaign after relegation. Thinking "Ooh this division is going to be easy". They equalised in the last minute. Our next home game was a miserable 0-1 reverse v Oldham.

August 1987. Two new managers face off in Duncan and Graham Taylor. O'Donnell scores for Villa with a cracking diving header into his own net.

1990. Sheff Weds. Lyall's first game and we are truly outclassed. North Stand away end over subscribed with Yorkshiremen who end up sat on the grass behind the goal.

1991. Bristol Rovers. We go three up. They miss a spot kick but still come back to level 3 all, all helped by a certai M.Stewart.

Ha, yes. That 0-1 reverse against Oldham in '86 was my first ever game. It can't have been that painful though as i've been going ever since.

Albeit, i have to say Lambert's presser earlier today has taken the froth off the start of the new season for me. Probably a reality check to be fair. Marcus Evans is so out of his depth financially now, just wish he'd sell up and soon. Death by a thousand cuts. Its killing the club.

If things turn sour it needs to be directed at him this time and not the players/manager.
First day memories on 01:12 - Aug 3 with 678 viewsThe_Last_Baron

First day memories on 13:03 - Aug 2 by Illinoisblue

We were 0-1 down with 15 minutes to go and not looking too good. Then we got three quick goals, Lowe and Woods definitely scored, not sure about the other.

We then went to Sunderland and won 4-2 and everyone thought we were title contenders before we were brought down to earth by Sheffield United.

Memories which stand out are getting battered by Sheffield Wednesday at Portman Road in 1990 - John Lyall's first game in charge and it could have been 6-0. There was also a crush in the north stand so Wednesday fans spent the first half sitting on the touchline behind the goal.

First game of the 1999-2000 season when we easily beat Forest 3-1. McGreal and Jermaine Wright made their debuts and we looked really good. Scowcroft scored a fine goal.

2003 v Reading 1-1. We didn't play well and scored a last second penalty from Tommy Miller. Steve Sidwell scored for Reading.and Diallo and Santos made their debuts. They're weren't as good as Wright and McGreal from four years earlier.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2019 1:15]

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024