Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin 09:30 - Jul 31 with 4618 viewsElderGrizzly

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/31/brexit-mess-with-good-friday-an
Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 09:35 - Jul 31 with 3547 viewsclive_baker

Brexit isn't happening folks. There's no parliamentary majority for a no deal and there won't be a deal struck either. I'm not sure why they're bothering with the posturing to be honest. A 2nd ref. has never looked more likely IMO.

Let's just sack the whole waste of time and money off and invest in our public services and initiatives here.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 09:44 - Jul 31 with 3515 viewsGlasgowBlue

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 09:35 - Jul 31 by clive_baker

Brexit isn't happening folks. There's no parliamentary majority for a no deal and there won't be a deal struck either. I'm not sure why they're bothering with the posturing to be honest. A 2nd ref. has never looked more likely IMO.

Let's just sack the whole waste of time and money off and invest in our public services and initiatives here.

There’s also no parliamentary majority for a second referendum. The difference between a second referendum and no deal is that one requires a vote and the other requires doing nothing as it’s the default position.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 9:45]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 09:49 - Jul 31 with 3485 viewsclive_baker

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 09:44 - Jul 31 by GlasgowBlue

There’s also no parliamentary majority for a second referendum. The difference between a second referendum and no deal is that one requires a vote and the other requires doing nothing as it’s the default position.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 9:45]

It's the default, but if a majority of MP's oppose as they did in March (and will again), then it'll be blocked. Let's be honest, it's what Boris wants so he can call an election and be the Brexit hero.

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 10:28 - Jul 31 with 3423 viewsGlasgowBlue

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 09:49 - Jul 31 by clive_baker

It's the default, but if a majority of MP's oppose as they did in March (and will again), then it'll be blocked. Let's be honest, it's what Boris wants so he can call an election and be the Brexit hero.

A GE seems the likely outcome.

The second referendum is dead. No one speaks about it anymore. The Tories dare not vote for it and there are about 50 Labour MPs from leave constituencies who are dead set against it for obvious reasons.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 10:29 - Jul 31 with 3418 viewsElderGrizzly

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 10:28 - Jul 31 by GlasgowBlue

The second referendum is dead. No one speaks about it anymore. The Tories dare not vote for it and there are about 50 Labour MPs from leave constituencies who are dead set against it for obvious reasons.

Is it dead? Labour seemed to make it policy a few weeks ago, in the absence of a GE?
Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 10:30 - Jul 31 with 3416 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's almost as if this is quite a complicated issue with lots of interconnections and potentially contradictory requirements, isn't it? Who'd have thunk it?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 10:32 - Jul 31 with 3405 viewsPinewoodblue

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 10:28 - Jul 31 by GlasgowBlue

There are at least 100 MP's uncomfortable about a quick general election for fear of deselection.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 10:35 - Jul 31 with 3396 viewsNthsuffolkblue

People seem to forget that the Irish problem (which can only be resolved by staying in the customs union) is terrorism that has historically been bank rolled by the US.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 10:41 - Jul 31 with 3380 viewsfactual_blue

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 10:30 - Jul 31 by Swansea_Blue

It's almost as if this is quite a complicated issue with lots of interconnections and potentially contradictory requirements, isn't it? Who'd have thunk it?

All this comes about because no tory government has ever had the collective intellectual capability to deal with anything complex, other by resorting to violence.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 11:31 - Jul 31 with 3313 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not sure how a GE would solve anything either. I can't see it changing the status quo to much in the HoC from what it is now, so no-deal will still be a no goer, there won't be a majority to revoke, no second ref.

I think we're a bit stuck!

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 11:32 - Jul 31 with 3311 viewsSwansea_Blue

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 10:41 - Jul 31 by factual_blue

All this comes about because no tory government has ever had the collective intellectual capability to deal with anything complex, other by resorting to violence.

And Labour have now followed this internal split model, just to compound the insanity.

We need a revolution.

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 11:33 - Jul 31 with 3298 viewsitfcjoe

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 11:32 - Jul 31 by Swansea_Blue

And Labour have now followed this internal split model, just to compound the insanity.

We need a revolution.

Maybe this is the revolution?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 12:10 - Jul 31 with 3233 viewsMoriarty

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 11:32 - Jul 31 by Swansea_Blue

We need a revolution.

Boris is too flexible for revolution. He did after all vote both for and against Theresa May’s deal.

fka omuircheartaigh

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 12:18 - Jul 31 with 3207 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 09:35 - Jul 31 by clive_baker

It's embedded in British law that we will leave on 31st Oct. The only way to stop this is for parliament to introduce and pass a new bill.

We will leave the EU come whatever. You may not like it but democracy has to prevail. Ths Brexit genie is out of the bottle and it isn't going back.

Isn't a democratic country a beautiful thing?

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 12:32 - Jul 31 with 3184 viewshampstead_blue

Ok.

I've spotted a small flaw in your plan.......the referendum result.

MP's who chose to behave like arrogant prigs and ignore the result should walk the plank.....

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 12:37 - Jul 31 with 3165 viewsDarth_Koont

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 12:32 - Jul 31 by hampstead_blue

Ok.

MP's who chose to behave like arrogant prigs and ignore the result should walk the plank.....

They didn't ignore the result. There was an overwhelming majority in parliament to trigger Article 50.

But the facts that have come out over the last three years, and what we're looking at now, no longer tally with the referendum result. People weren't voting for anything like this.

People who ignore that aspect are committing treason to reason which is an even bigger "crime".

Pronouns: He/Him

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 12:45 - Jul 31 with 3137 viewsMoriarty

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 12:37 - Jul 31 by Darth_Koont

They didn't ignore the result. There was an overwhelming majority in parliament to trigger Article 50.

But the facts that have come out over the last three years, and what we're looking at now, no longer tally with the referendum result. People weren't voting for anything like this.

People who ignore that aspect are committing treason to reason which is an even bigger "crime".

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/news/deep-concern-among-exporters-over-sterling-

Britain didn’t vote for economic suicide.

There’s a very strong case for a second referendum.

fka omuircheartaigh

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 12:49 - Jul 31 with 3122 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 12:18 - Jul 31 by The_Last_Baron

It's embedded in British law that we will leave on 31st Oct. The only way to stop this is for parliament to introduce and pass a new bill.

We will leave the EU come whatever. You may not like it but democracy has to prevail. Ths Brexit genie is out of the bottle and it isn't going back.

Democracy will prevail. Parliament will rule. Boris cannot and will not even try to prorogue. Therefore, we will not leave on 31st October.

What magic answers will Boris have that May didn't?

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 12:52 - Jul 31 with 3110 viewsclive_baker

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 12:32 - Jul 31 by hampstead_blue

Ok.

I didn't see no deal on the ballot paper. 3 years is a long time and my memory isn't the best but I seem to recall people voting on the promise of amazing deals and lucrative trade deals with the rest of the world. Now that's proved to be utter BS, I don't think it's reasonable to suggest no deal is what the people voted for. A 2nd referendum feels like the only solution, and if it is what people want then the result will reflect that.

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 13:05 - Jul 31 with 3058 viewshampstead_blue

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 12:52 - Jul 31 by clive_baker

I didn't see no deal on the ballot paper. 3 years is a long time and my memory isn't the best but I seem to recall people voting on the promise of amazing deals and lucrative trade deals with the rest of the world. Now that's proved to be utter BS, I don't think it's reasonable to suggest no deal is what the people voted for. A 2nd referendum feels like the only solution, and if it is what people want then the result will reflect that.

No Deal was on the ballot.
It's a consequence of 'Leave'.

I also do not recall an option asking; "We will ignore the result until remainers are happy"

I think there will be a deal. If not when we leave but very shortly after.
The 'deal' May botched is only a transition deal. The real deal is done after that.

If we leave without a transition deal then the EU will be very keen to get a permanent deal quickly, as will we.

At some point those who want to remain will just have to accept it.
Look, I want a deal with the EU which will be close and lucrative. Why not start campaigning for a 'close' permanent deal.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 13:14 - Jul 31 with 3025 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 13:05 - Jul 31 by hampstead_blue

I also do not recall an option asking; "We will ignore the result until remainers are happy"

The 'deal' May botched is only a transition deal. The real deal is done after that.

If we leave without a transition deal then the EU will be very keen to get a permanent deal quickly, as will we.

Look, I want a deal with the EU which will be close and lucrative. Why not start campaigning for a 'close' permanent deal.

Will that deal involve remaining in the customs union?

If not, how do you resolve the Irish border without terrorism or is that the price worth paying on top of economic disaster?

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 13:17 - Jul 31 with 3008 viewsclive_baker

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 13:05 - Jul 31 by hampstead_blue

I'm sorry but that's a nonsense. Nobody knows the answer but my instinct is if the ballot paper was as black and white as no deal and remain the result would've been quite different.

Listen, I voted remain but I've got a lot of sympathy for those that want to disentangle themselves from a power hierarchy that's increasingly detached from those who it purports to represent. I'm far from pro EU, but I do not believe this is what people voted for. The obvious solution to this stalemate is surely to put it back to the people. As I said, if no-deal is their wish then fine, but I think sleep walking into an economic car crash is a stupid thing to do.

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 13:21 - Jul 31 with 2986 viewsHerbivore

Dominic Raab was caught out perpetuating the lie you've begun your post with. Nobody is swallowing that. There is copious evidence that the referendum campaign was won on promises of comprehensive free trade agreements that would be at least as good as what we already had as members. Many even spoke about full single market access. Nobody was talking seriously about leaving with no deal in place.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 13:25 - Jul 31 with 2964 viewsDarth_Koont

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 13:17 - Jul 31 by clive_baker

I'm sorry but that's a nonsense. Nobody knows the answer but my instinct is if the ballot paper was as black and white as no deal and remain the result would've been quite different.

Listen, I voted remain but I've got a lot of sympathy for those that want to disentangle themselves from a power hierarchy that's increasingly detached from those who it purports to represent. I'm far from pro EU, but I do not believe this is what people voted for. The obvious solution to this stalemate is surely to put it back to the people. As I said, if no-deal is their wish then fine, but I think sleep walking into an economic car crash is a stupid thing to do.

Well said.

But we're arguing with people who said May's deal wasn't what people voted for in the referendum when it suited them.

They can accept that (and I think they're right that a lot of Leavers didn't want a Norway-style deal) but then they'd also need to accept that a lot of Leavers didn't vote No Deal.

Pronouns: He/Him

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 13:41 - Jul 31 with 2906 viewsSpruceMoose

Another day, another nail in Boris Johnson’s Brexit Coffin on 12:18 - Jul 31 by The_Last_Baron

How about a little charity bet? I reckon we will still be in the EU come November 1st.

What lefty cause do you despise most of all? That's who I'll have you donating to.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024